Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 21

Author Topic: Disney buys Lucasfilm  (Read 23084 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Disney buys Lucasfilm
« on: October 30, 2012, 04:49:37 pm »

http://news.yahoo.com/disney-acquire-lucasfilm-ltd-195100740.html

Episode 7 will come out in 2015.

Well it turns out that the star wars brand was able to sink lower.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: Disney buys Lucasfilm
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 04:54:29 pm »

As was mentioned in the other thread, this opens up Star Wars for crossovers in the Kingdom Hearts franchise. Which will be... interesting! Force powers come not from bugs in your bloodstream, but from the darkness or light in your heart.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 04:55:07 pm »

Well it turns out that the star wars brand was able to sink lower.

I dunno, it might be an improvement.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 04:59:10 pm »

My theory is Lucas needs a bit more money to build his island that floats out in the middle of the Pacific. And no, you can't visit it or live on it.

Either that or he's looking to make his escape from Earth.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 05:00:05 pm »

My theory is Lucas needs a bit more money to build his island that floats out in the middle of the Pacific. And no, you can't visit it or live on it.

Since when was George Lucas an objectivist?
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2012, 05:01:10 pm »

That's no island...

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 05:09:27 pm »

I'm honestly optimistic. Looking forward to what Disney can do with Industrial Light & Magic. This also potentially opens up Disney owning The Dig, Day of the Tentacle and Full Throttle.

It could also kill the extended universe, so good news for everybody!
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2012, 05:10:05 pm »

Also, Episode 7 would run into the EU. Yay for conflicting canons. ::)
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2012, 05:14:47 pm »

As was mentioned in the other thread, this opens up Star Wars for crossovers in the Kingdom Hearts franchise. Which will be... interesting! Force powers come not from bugs in your bloodstream, but from the darkness or light in your heart.
Which is pretty much exactly what the Force was before anyway. (Though I subscribe to the idea that midichlorians are just a Force-sensitive species of microbial life that have nothing to do with generating it, only having their presence used as a metric for how in tune with the Force a person is.)
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

OREOSOME

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2012, 05:18:11 pm »

Watch, as the next Star Wars villain ends up detailing his plot, IN SONG!
Ow! How the fuck do eldritch abominations bitchslap people?
With our pimp tentacles, obviously.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2012, 05:19:00 pm »

I'm curious how the heck they're going to handle the actors being unable to portray the characters due to age and such.  Getting new actors is only going to incite new hatred...

I really don't know what to think about this at all.  On one hand, I was very disappointed with Episodes 1-3, so having Star Wars in new hands might not be a bad thing.  On the other, Disney apparently plans to "make a movie every 2 to 3 years" after the new trilogy, which sounds like they're already planning to bleed it dry.  And there's also the fact that I'm not a fan of a lot of EU stuff, such as the Yuuzhan Vong.  Well, maybe they'll just make movies about the parts I like.  :)

Some stuff about Thrawn would be very nice...
Through pain, I find wisdom.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2012, 05:21:36 pm »

The target audience is going to be kids, like the prequels.  That's pretty much a given.  So a whole lot of the EU is out the window as it's no good for the target audience.  It's going to be the retcon to end all retcons.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2012, 05:24:45 pm »

The target audience is going to be kids, like the prequels.  That's pretty much a given.
You don't know that.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

OREOSOME

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2012, 05:25:28 pm »

I'm curious how the heck they're going to handle the actors being unable to portray the characters due to age and such.  Getting new actors is only going to incite new hatred...

My god... What. What if they make it animated, like the "clone wars" movie/show...
Some stuff about Thrawn would be very nice...
Yeah, that or farther ahead. Admiral Daala as the main villain, or maybe even the whole cloned emperor storyline.
Ow! How the fuck do eldritch abominations bitchslap people?
With our pimp tentacles, obviously.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2012, 05:32:30 pm »

I actually like the extended universe up until the yuuzhan vong who I think are really just not Star Wars to me though I did learn a bit to much about them anyway because they are interesting in their own way.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 21