Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: The Ritual 2: All spots taken. No waitlist.  (Read 5057 times)

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
The Ritual 2: All spots taken. No waitlist.
« on: October 27, 2012, 02:09:38 pm »

IMPORTANT! SERIOUSLY!: This is an 8 player PVP game that you play by PM. Why PM? Because there's a small information warfare aspect to the game as well as the actual combat. The turns will be also sent to you in PMs, but I will archive them all and reveal them when the game is finished. But seriously, don't reveal anything in this thread. Feel free to bluff, though. Oh, also I will tell you when people die here. Teehee~

Also, a lot of rules have been streamlined or completely changed. If you played the first game, check the rules anyway.

Spoiler: Story: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Mechanics: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Classes: (click to show/hide)

Players (NO WAITLISTS!):
Fighter: Jatha
Guardian: Spartan
Brute: Choobaka
Channeler: NPC
Wizard: Harry Baldman
Cleric: Tiruin
Trapper: Caellath
Assassin: Toaster

Have fun and die!
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 09:27:47 am by tomas1297 »
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Reserved, Trapper.

Spoiler: Elan Nelndar; Trapper (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 12:47:36 am by Caellath »
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile

Reserved, Trapper.
I swear - I totally guessed you would choose the Trapper.
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile

Name: Kira Talneris
Class: Cleric

Personality: Kira is usually one of a benevolent nature, but accompanied by periods of sarcasm and clever wit. She abhors selfishness, cynical and apathetic personalities, and is stern and unyielding in her goals. She is very open-minded and willing to work for the team, being deeply loyal. Her spirit is an intrepid type: adventurous, independent and bold. Optimism and perseverance is the driving force of her being.

She keeps a vigil eye out for her own well-being, and trusts people if they are willing to do the same. Though, she is stubborn in her ideals and will not resist sacrifice for the greater will. She is also reserved in demeanor.

Bio: Kira stands at a modest height of 5'4", a lean woman of average proportions. She appears young in appearance, of a person in their early twenties. Her hair is elbow-length: the back portion is kept in a single braid, while the frontal parts are kept naturally to the side. Her eyes are a deep shade of brown. Her skin is average in tone. Her face appears sharp and chiseled in texture.

Pre/Post-death:

Apparently, betrayal was what had killed me. The people I had closely trusted, and grown accustomed to, killed me in cold blood during a unified quest for common reasons. I had been slain, in my sleep by the ones I most trusted. My beliefs were shattered as I wandered the afterlife, musing on the Gate of Souls - I couldn't return and warn my other allies of the traitor until it was too late.

Years passed, and I only grew more anguished. Balanced by temperance of what I had learned in life, I was surprised when the Gate collapsed upon itself - a handful of fortunate souls were able to escape back onto the mortal realm, and I was wont to follow.

Now I breath the air once more, and know who had created the Gate itself - a Divinity, now forgotten from the passages of history. It had seemed that this was all part of a 'Ritual' where the dead must perform in some sadistic notion of a greater power. Yet I must yield, for I have been given this chance, and only this.

I believe in the scripture of old, the way of the silent. I believe in the name of the Guardian of the Gate, the Goddess of Souls and the Guide of the Dead. I take on the very weapon which she had worn in her duties as a mortal - the bow.

I will vindicate my name. I will show whoever this Entity is, that I am no pawn of his control.

Theme: Along the lines of the modernized 'Paladin', ability to invoke Sanctuary. Vengeance.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 11:38:14 pm by Tiruin »

Spartan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Reserved, Guardian. (wait, can there be more than one of each class?)

EDIT: Sheet

Name: Etrius Tulluth
Class: Guardian
Bio: A modest sized man with dark skin and hair and piercing brown eyes. Etrius lived in an island kingdom constantly threatened by invasion and pirates. He lost both his parents in a raid that completely destroyed his home village. The sole survivor, Etrius swore to never let anyone close to him die again.

Setting out he as a wanderer at a young age he came upon an empty building inhabited by only an old man. Writing him off as nothing but an old mad man, Etrius departed only to find him self surrounded by a horde of bandits. However, both him and the bandits were surprised to find a shield blocking the way into the house. The old man began to laugh and revealed himself to be a master of defensive magic. 

The man took Etrius as his pupil and taught him all that he knew. Etrius set out and lived a full live with many companions. However, a dark force threatened the island once again. He held a final stand and sacrificed his life to stem the demons and protect those dear to him

Theme:Telekinesis, Rocks /Earth Manipulation, Durability
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 04:31:01 pm by Spartan »
@ Spartan - For some reason I am imaging you as Master Chief sitting at a computer drinking tea, and eating cookies. I don't know why

choobakka

• Bay Watcher
  • The same thing we do every night, Pinky...
    • View Profile

Name: Panlamin Winterkin
Class: Brute
Bio: Panlamin was born to the chief of a small tribe, living on a massive tundra in the cold north. He was the strongest and the fastest of his seven brothers, and the whole tribe knew that, although he was not the oldest, he would be chief one day. When he was fifteen summers old, his father died in battle; it was time for Panlamin to take up his title. His two older brothers, Merreak and Vromash, resented his new power. Merreak was a great sorcerer, and Vromash an excellent hunter, and if they were not brothers to Panlamin, one of the would rule; but Panlamin took the title of chief, and his brothers plotted in silence. Panlamin did great things for the Winterkin tribe (so called because according to legend Panlamin's ancestor, the great warrior Dranik the Cruel, had one of the mighty frost giants as a wife), leading his warriors to glory against many foes, and conquering huge stretches of the forests and the plains; even Vromash, once so outspoken against a mere child leading the tribe, respected him and ceased his plotting. Merreak, however, would not be dissuaded. He believed that brains, rather than brawn, should lead the tribe; his resentment merely grew with every conquest and every victory. Merreak made a pact with the ancestor spirits of his father's line, the cruel, cold, giants of the north, for incredible power. Panlamin was struck down in the heat of battle by his ancestors' spirits, called up by his brother's foul necromancy; by right of conquest, the tribe was now Merreak's, gained by trickery rather than honest combat.

Panlamin is a giant of a man, standing seven feet tall, with muscles to rival a pair of oxen. His hair is blinding white, and his eyes bright blue, as all of his father's line; his skin is a light tan, colored by constant exposure to the blinding sun of the cloudless northern skies. He wears a thick bear pelt wrapped around his torso, to fend off the cold, and long leather pants. He carries with him his father's sword (and his father's father's, and his father's before him, and on and on until Dranik the Cruel), a six-foot-long weapon of undecorated iron; it is called Cruel Fang, and was given as a dowry by the Giant King, hundreds of years before Panlamin's birth.

Panlamin rarely speaks to anyone outside his tribe; when he does, it is usually in short commands. Unlike many of his culture, he is not prone to partying and loud celebration, preferring to sit and stare at the stars from just outside the firelight. In battle, he is ferocious, a terror to behold, going into almost a berserker rage; he loves combat, and loves victory most of all. Panlamin is, while not exactly a fair fighter, at least honest; he will not use poison, and hates magic, since neither of these are "true combat". His philosophy of combat is "hit them before they hit you" - get the first strike, and make it deadly, so your enemies never have a chance to retaliate.
Theme: Cold. Giants. His ridiculously large greatsword.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 08:51:39 pm by choobakka »

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile

(wait, can there be more than one of each class?)
No, which is why you should reserve your class before making a character.

Edit: Now, that I've read it,

Character

This is a very good character sheet, as it gives a lot of character to the...character, which means that I have very clear ideas on what kind of powers to give him. You don't actually have to write that much, since you have a very large chance of dying, but it's a good example of a character sheet that I can easily create thematic powers for.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 01:23:42 am by tomas1297 »

Spartan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

(wait, can there be more than one of each class?)
No, which is why you should reserve your class before making a character.

Edit: Now, that I've read it,

Character

This is a very good character sheet, as it gives a lot of character to the...character, which means that I have very clear ideas on what kind of powers to give him. You don't actually have to write that much, since you have a very large chance of dying, but it's a good example of a character sheet that I can easily create thematic powers for.

So wait how does this work? Since there is no waitlist is it just a pvp where the game ends when everyone dies?
@ Spartan - For some reason I am imaging you as Master Chief sitting at a computer drinking tea, and eating cookies. I don't know why

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile

^Yup. Cool, no?
 Thanks for the bump too. Now join, people, join! And make characters. I'm not a very patient person.

Spartan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

^Yup. Cool, no?
 Thanks for the bump too. Now join, people, join! And make characters. I'm not a very patient person.
Sweet. Oh and no problem with the bump.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile

You know I want back in this.

No time for a proper sheet tonight, but I'd like to grab the Assassin.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile

You know I want back in this.
Good to have another veteran of the first one.

Also, more game mechanics talk:
 I've been thinking of how to show the advantage of ranged combat in RTD without resorting to simple rock-paper-scissors mechanics. Well, I just decided that simple statuses can work really well. Each ability counts as either ranged or melee. "Long Range" gives both combatants -2 to all melee attack rolls and lasts until someone manages to land a successful melee attack or uses his own range changing ability. "Short Range" works the same, but penalizes ranged attack and ends when someone lands a successful ranged attack. Both statuses can be inflicted by abilities that change range - for example such an ability could be a "Teleport" spell, that lets the mage create a gap between him and a melee warrior, or maybe a Freeze spell that would lets a Guardian catch up with a mage type and fight in melee.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: The Ritual 2: Play-by-PM PvP. 5/8 spots taken. Seriously, guys, join.
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2012, 08:57:12 am »

Hopefully this time I can avoid catching a bad case of HAMMER TO THE FACE.

Name:  Dyson
Class:  Assassin
Bio:  Little is known about the man known as Dyson.

It is clear that he was one of the most dangerous assassins that the world has ever known.  He has studied poisons and other debilitating substances, even dabbling in magic, to devise some of the most sinister toxins that most people would not even consider using for their horrible effects.

Dyson was an unassuming man of average build.  Dark hair, always dressed in black and hooded, he made a living of not revealing his identity.  His father was an alchemist of some ability, and his mother was a witch who knew secrets of hexes and curses.  He learned from both of these sources before leaving his hometown and heading for the nearby city.  There, he fell into the criminal elements and ended up training as an assassin.  He quickly rose through the ranks and became greatly feared. 

Though few would call him a hero, he did assist in the defense of the city when it was attacked by a baron seeking to expand his own rule.  Dyson snuck out of the city in the dead of night and poisoned the water supply of the attacking army.  Within hours, the army was dying in the fields, covered in blistering sores.  Though the mayor of the city was glad the enemy was crushed, the actions taken were largely denounced.  No one was able to prove a connection between him and the crime, but Dyson left the city anyway, and disappeared into myth.

His poisons, applied by blowdart, blade, or trap, delivered sickness, confusion, suffering, and death.  None are sure what horrible combination of chemistry and magic created his most potent blends, but few would even consider using them, for a man he wanted dead was sure to die horribly.

Theme:  Evil cursed poisons, dagger, blowdarts.  Stealth is his primary defense.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2012, 09:01:42 am »

Hopefully this time I can avoid catching a bad case of HAMMER TO THE FACE.
Eheh...:P

Also, just saying I'm busy right now making other stuff, so apologies for mine later sheet.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2012, 10:15:40 am »

Going to get fondled this time?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4