Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Shipwreched: Tiny Volcanic Island Isolated 2x2 Embark Challange  (Read 28260 times)

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
Re: Shipwreched: Tiny Volcanic Island Isolated 2x2 Embark Challange
« Reply #45 on: November 08, 2012, 06:54:30 am »

Isn't there a dfhack utility that just enabes magma production without discovering the magma itself? There should be the one!
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2012, 02:37:50 am »

OOC; I didn't see one, must be more complex then it seems if there isn't one already.

Since our arrival, The Card has been declaring he was becoming a dabbling fisherdwarf. None of the rest of us believed you could catch cave fish in the sea so we passed it off as fool's madness, but now after almost three years of practice he's been bringing in some strange but edible ceatures; tentecled swimming snails, great living sheets like bats of the sea, and water-manera that look like Illithid heads. They all look and taste the same finely minced though. We're now set up with Aseaheru processing all the catch in the new facilities while The Card fishes.

After dropping the first cap into the volcano it was found that we were using up more magma for the casting then we were displacing during the drop phase. GreatWyrmLimestone and Peregar corordinated on the the project to undercut, design and drop one final engineered section that would give us the most progress with the least waste and still result in no solid obsidian in the top two levels of magma.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Throughout summer and Autumn we all took turns running water up to the top of the drill-caster's superstructure using the bucket from the deconstructed well. Occasionally the winds would shift some of the rotten goo covering the water tank on top of the drill-caster shortening our trip temporarily and taking the load off of our small well-source. From some constructed catwalks we were able to painstakingly repair the top of the volcanic plug that will be our path to redemption. With the plug top flat again the top of the volcano is capped again and dropped after a single imperfection was removed.

Winter arrives, it's still scorchingly hot. The last layer of magma is cast solid connecting the volcanic plug to our small fort. The last little pocket of magma is solidified via a temporary hole in the roof.

Damn kids are everywhere.

HorridOwn4ge

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is average nowadays...
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 09, 2012, 12:33:57 pm »

Nice work dude!
Quote from: SmileyMan
I got fed up with my fortress, so I decided to kill everyone (abandon is for elves) with a cave-in.

OK, cave-ins were always pretty deadly, but with the new falling object damage they are downright brutal.  As far as I can make out from the logs, many people were killed by the flying bodies of other victims.  One baby's corpse ricocheted off three other people, two walls and the floor.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 09, 2012, 03:45:46 pm »

sweet. can i see my stats?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 09, 2012, 03:48:31 pm »

Gone Fishing
((Hey! I'm doing something useful!))
And
sweet. can i see my stats?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 05:52:26 pm by Thecard »

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2012, 07:51:06 pm »

Isn't there a dfhack utility that just enabes magma production without discovering the magma itself? There should be the one!
You can use the feature command to toggle the magma sea as discovered. (feature show 2)That will allow you to build the magma glass furnace or what ever you are planning on constructing.
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 10, 2012, 01:10:00 am »

Excellent information, thanks, and thanks.

GreatWrymLimestone;

Aseaheru;

The Card;

Next Spring; there's a problem with the caverns stair and someone gets killed off the island in what promises to be our most exciting episode ever!

edit; Make that two someones.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 02:12:37 am by Crashmaster »

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 10, 2012, 01:09:54 pm »

((Well, don't send the clumsy dwarf to dig the caverns.
Oh no, problem with the cavern stairs?  Is it me?  Though, the way I've been going, it'll be everyone but me.))

OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 10, 2012, 02:23:43 pm »

You're gonna have to worry about moods soon. And clothes, unless you're growing pig tails too.
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 10, 2012, 08:13:29 pm »

what is a SUBLIME trap?
Highly Opinionated Fool

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 10, 2012, 08:16:23 pm »

what is a SUBLIME trap?
A pretty fucking good one.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 11, 2012, 12:08:43 am »

Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 11, 2012, 06:40:18 pm »

Hmmmm...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6