Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: healthcare training  (Read 1227 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
healthcare training
« on: October 26, 2012, 04:39:49 pm »

Which method is the least lethal, while still producing some fractures and cuts for my medics to train on?

1) drop down 2 z-levels
2) upright spike traps with 1 wooden training spear
3) 1 z-level drop onto weapon trap with wooden training axe / spear / sword
4) idem as 3, but with candy warhammer / mace
5) idem as 3, but with spiked wooden ball / corkscrew?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
Re: healthcare training
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 04:58:46 pm »

It's 2. Add helmets or light armor for even less lethality.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 05:02:07 pm »

Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 05:20:03 am »

Drop seeds on the dwarves.
Make sure they are at least wearing helmets though!!!  Dwarven skulls are shockingly fragile.

However, seeds are a bit light do reliable fracturing damage (unless perhaps from a great enough height).  Try heavier objects like socks, or if you feel bold drop weapons on them to see if they can deal their attacks as well.  If you're feeling even boulder though, try a rock to guarantee at least a broken limb.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 05:29:53 am »

Drop seeds. It will train your soldiers to Superstregth levels and give your doctors broken bones to treat.
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2012, 06:36:46 am »

Drop seeds. It will train your soldiers to Superstregth levels and give your doctors broken bones to treat.

And thus, the legend of Acornman was born. Somewhere in the dark streets of Goddamn City, amidst the most bearded scum, and most sober dwarves that plagued the cities' nights, a young dwarf was orphaned, when an evil villain pummeled his parents to death with acorns. Sworn to revenge, the boy faced his terror, and through years of careful acorn pummeling, became superdwarvenly strong, tough and agile. Beware, scum of Goddamn City! He now stalks the night, bringing justice where the light of the hammerer's silver warhammer can't shine. There is nowhere you can hide. Acornman WILL find you!

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2012, 07:04:36 am »

It seems 1 z-level is not high enough for plump helmet spawn to do any damage through clothing beyond bruising, and an occasional tearing of ear cartilage. I'm gonna try 2 z-levels soon for the healthcare training.

This observation has immediatly been put to use. I've set up a pummeling chain, where dwarves keep repeatedly dumping plump helmet spawn on each others heads. It does require my attention, for periodically unforbidding and redumping the spawns. This should give a lot of dwarves some extra attribute training.

EDIT: wrong. Sometimes 1 z-level drops do hurt. A dwarf broke both his left and his right hand. He's waiting in a hospital bed now for my chief medical dwarf, House.
House has grabbed a drink, and is now taking a break. The dwarf is wating to be diagnosed for a few weeks already.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 07:43:22 am by martinuzz »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2012, 08:33:30 am »

My dwarf broke both her left and her right hand. After extensive surgery and bonesetting, she's up and about, now stuck with an endless clean self job. She walk to the soap stockpile, to pick up soap, then takes 3 steps towards the well. Only to find out, she did not pick up soap at the stockpile, because both her hands are broken and in casts. So she moves towards the stockpile again. There's no job cancellation spam, and the clean self job does not go away for a moment, whether she is walking towards or away from the stockpile. I checked by progressing time one step at a time. There's not a single "no job" to be seen. She does however flash a red questionmark. Putting her in a military squad and giving her a move order does not break the loop, she keeps the clean self job, but she does change to to recruit appearance when I activate her. Just now, she stopped the job to go get a drink. Apparently she bit open a barrel to drink from it, for she is no longer thirsty, and heading back to the clean self job. I suppose I am stuck with this behaviour until either her broken arms heal, she dies to her infection, or she bleeds out (the last doctor seems to have performed a bad job, causing her to bleed)

I didn't see such behaviour mentioned on the bug tracker yet, so I submitted it there.

Rover963

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2012, 12:44:43 pm »

My solutions to that soap bug is the following:

a) More chests in hospital, make sure all soap is in the hospital, this prevents erroneous use of soap for self cleaning.
b) In addition to above, I always channel out a ditch by the entrance to my fort, stockpiles, and hospital and fill it to 3/7 water, this will clean your dwarves off, preventing them wanting to clean themselves.
c) Get rid of soap

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2012, 03:28:48 pm »

Who'd have thought. Despite being "very slow to heal", two fractures, and a compound fracture have healed completely within a year. She's only got a cut muscle in her wrist left. Unfortunatly that's still infected though. As soon as she regained the use of her hands, she finished the clean self job, and is a productive member of my fort once again. If she survives the infection, I will reward her by giving her back her job as medical test subject.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2012, 11:47:58 pm »

a position any man, mer, greenback, or mountain midget would be proud to sport, I'm sure.  ill go down to Yale and volunteer this Tuesday, after the panic for this hurricane dies down :P
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!