Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 23

Author Topic: Frankenstorm: Class 13^13X HYPERCANE OF BURNING SNOW  (Read 46454 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Frankenstorm: Class 13^13X HYPERCANE OF BURNING SNOW
« Reply #285 on: October 30, 2012, 02:55:07 pm »

I thought disasters had Trample for places like Haiti.

Did you notice the completely different results of the hurricane in Haiti versus the Dominican Republic (as with every disaster that hits them both)? Once again Haiti got smashed and the Dominican Republic had relatively minor damage. One of them knew how to build sturdy buildings, apparently, and the other... not so much.

Makes me wonder if the people building in Haiti are lazy, incompetent, or just want to be paid multiple times for building the same buildings repeatedly.
Well, in Haiti it's not so much "build a building" as "find some scrap wood and plastic sheeting, and throw together something marginally habitable so you're not sleeping out in the open". Decades -- nay, centuries -- of corruption, mismanagement, unrest, poverty and disasters kind of reduce the local ability to do anything beyond subsistence living.

Also, trees. Trees are wonderfull at keeping the soil where it's supposed to be.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: October 30, 2012, 02:58:42 pm »

Yes, but they're not edible. Whereas burning them to make charcoal which you can sell for a few cents puts money in your pocket which you can use to buy edible things.

Yeah, the mass deforestation thing is terrible. Kinda shows what happens when a population reaches levels of desperation unthinkable in most places.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: October 30, 2012, 03:47:52 pm »

Why is Haiti not part of the Dominican Republic yet?

Never mind, figured it out. It's the same reason Mexico isn't part of the US yet. It could be, but it's more convenient for us to not have it be.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: October 30, 2012, 04:14:36 pm »

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: October 30, 2012, 04:20:07 pm »

Probably not as deep as the right 2/3s of the picture makes it look, since you can see the wheel on the right side, and the general shape of the gate indicates it's going downward. Also, at least around here, the further you are from the main area, the smaller the plane tends to get.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: October 30, 2012, 04:29:42 pm »

I WONDER IF YOU COULD LAND A PLANE IN THAT.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: October 30, 2012, 04:30:51 pm »

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: October 30, 2012, 04:43:33 pm »

MetalSlimeHunt, why are you writing in this thread with CapsLock on?
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: October 30, 2012, 04:46:37 pm »

BECAUSE ITS BEEN SNOWING NONSTOP FOR THE PAST 48 HOURS WITH NO SIGNS OF CEASING.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: October 30, 2012, 04:49:43 pm »

BECAUSE ITS BEEN SNOWING NONSTOP FOR THE PAST 48 HOURS WITH NO SIGNS OF CEASING.

Ah, your capslock key has iced over. Reasonable enough.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Robocorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: October 30, 2012, 04:52:41 pm »

Can we trade weather? It's unseasonably warm in Boston and I haven't seen a decent snowfall in two years.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: October 30, 2012, 04:59:56 pm »

So, According to the NY Times, They bringing in the Army Corps for the flooding. And the Crane, isstill there, and dangerous. Appearantly, not only is it dangerous, but the counter-weights on it's platform ar putting enormous strain of the building connectors. They say it may take months.

Can we trade weather? It's unseasonably warm in Boston and I haven't seen a decent snowfall in two years.
You can have mine if you want.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: October 30, 2012, 05:02:14 pm »

I miss snow sometimes. Not that I want to see how insane San Diego would get if we actually got snow. The highways becoming a parking lot would be the least of our problems.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: October 30, 2012, 05:17:13 pm »

So, According to the NY Times, They bringing in the Army Corps for the flooding.
I believe the phrase was, presumably given facetiously, "National Unwatering SWAT Team"

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: October 30, 2012, 06:48:35 pm »

AP photo of Fallout: New York Breezy Point post-fire.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 23