Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 23

Author Topic: Frankenstorm: Class 13^13X HYPERCANE OF BURNING SNOW  (Read 46483 times)

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
Re: Frankenstorm: Class 13^13X HYPERCANE OF BURNING SNOW
« Reply #270 on: October 30, 2012, 11:55:25 am »

Well, here in Ontario we had some really strong winds, and a water main broke outside my university, cancelling classes today and postpoing one of my midterms. Nice.

No snow or power outages in Toronto then?

None anywhere that I've heard of.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Pitchblende

• Bay Watcher
  • Ne cede malis
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: October 30, 2012, 12:38:50 pm »

There have been power outages in Toronto last night. No snow though.

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: October 30, 2012, 12:49:08 pm »

Lost power for a hour, but I think that was them just fixing lines. Whateves. Meanwhile, I have friends in DC...

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: October 30, 2012, 12:54:22 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: October 30, 2012, 12:55:36 pm »

Either those people are incredibly desperate for attention or they're performing some sort of ritual for their cult.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #275 on: October 30, 2012, 12:57:31 pm »

What's going on in DC? I know the SC was in session yesterday, but they won't stop for anything less than Godzilla, and that's only if he eats three or more justices.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: October 30, 2012, 12:57:49 pm »

Everything is perfectly fine here in the Keweenaw Peninsula, except that it's almost November and there is not a bit of accumulation.

Have any skyscrapers collapsed, preferably causing a domino effect to make Manhattan a wasteland? No? Well, damn. Maybe next year. Or we can have another Epsilon/Zeta.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: October 30, 2012, 01:10:01 pm »

Everything is perfectly fine here in the Keweenaw Peninsula, except that it's almost November and there is not a bit of accumulation.

Have any skyscrapers collapsed, preferably causing a domino effect to make Manhattan a wasteland? No? Well, damn. Maybe next year. Or we can have another Epsilon/Zeta.
Next year is the invasion of the talking monkies.

How does 2014 fit you?

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: October 30, 2012, 01:10:42 pm »

Caught up in this thread (10+ pages) while listening to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poN3IPD1EVE.

I only lost power for a little while here (I'm in MA - there are some power outages - there are multiple power providers in the state so I'm not sure how many, but probably only on the order of hundreds of thousands).

New York City sounds like it's in some deep shit water, though. I get the impression that people stayed because they're high up and don't figure the water can actually reach them or the wind could actually harm their building. Of course, perhaps they didn't fully consider the implications of being surrounded by water and cut off from power, city water, and other utilities, and having nowhere to run a generator, either, because they're in a skyscraper.

It looks like what's left of Sandy is hovering over Pennsylvania right now. (Weather.com Hurricane Tracker) (WunderMap)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: October 30, 2012, 01:21:18 pm »

Next year is the invasion of the talking monkies.

How does 2014 fit you?
As far as I know, most of the next few years are booked up.
*checks schedule* Nope, Volcano in Haiti, and booked through 2021. Year after that is a meteoric impact in Haiti, then we've got another earthquake in Haiti, followed up by a zombie apocalypse in Haiti. Year after that is an oil spill in Haiti, combined with rampant firestorms. 2019 has an alien invasion in Haiti, but they turn back after the third tsunami. 2020 has Haiti falling into the ocean. Finally, 2021 has... huh. Well I'll be damned. Boston is destroyed by rampaging New York City skyscrapers.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: October 30, 2012, 01:42:35 pm »

Wait...disasters in Haiti stop disasters in other places? Huh. Who would have figured.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: October 30, 2012, 01:54:17 pm »

To be fair, Haiti after a disaster looks more or less like Haiti before a disaster. The only logical conclusion is that the Haitians are actually God's Chosen People, because they seem to get chronically fucked over by Nature and Man even more than the Jews.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: October 30, 2012, 01:54:51 pm »

I thought disasters had Trample for places like Haiti.

Did you notice the completely different results of the hurricane in Haiti versus the Dominican Republic (as with every disaster that hits them both)? Once again Haiti got smashed and the Dominican Republic had relatively minor damage. One of them knew how to build sturdy buildings, apparently, and the other... not so much.

Makes me wonder if the people building in Haiti are lazy, incompetent, or just want to be paid multiple times for building the same buildings repeatedly.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: October 30, 2012, 01:55:22 pm »

Wait...disasters in Haiti stop disasters in other places? Huh. Who would have figured.
Remember Fukushima? The next worst disasters of '11 were so unnotable that I didn't even hear of them until just now.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: October 30, 2012, 02:03:37 pm »

I thought disasters had Trample for places like Haiti.

Did you notice the completely different results of the hurricane in Haiti versus the Dominican Republic (as with every disaster that hits them both)? Once again Haiti got smashed and the Dominican Republic had relatively minor damage. One of them knew how to build sturdy buildings, apparently, and the other... not so much.

Makes me wonder if the people building in Haiti are lazy, incompetent, or just want to be paid multiple times for building the same buildings repeatedly.
Well, in Haiti it's not so much "build a building" as "find some scrap wood and plastic sheeting, and throw together something marginally habitable so you're not sleeping out in the open". Decades -- nay, centuries -- of corruption, mismanagement, unrest, poverty and disasters kind of reduce the local ability to do anything beyond subsistence living.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 23