Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Wikipedia spoilers  (Read 7194 times)

Burnup

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill until you can't, Then savescum.
    • View Profile
Re: Wikipedia spoilers
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2012, 01:44:55 pm »

IMO, Adamantine shouldn't be a spoiler, but HFS should be. In fact, we should go out of our way to convince newbies that mining Adamantine is perfectly safe, to ensure as much fun as possible.

Or just not talk about these subjects..
It's posts like this that spoiled it for me.
Just tell her that you were merely doing what the voices in your head were telling you to do.

Pyro627

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2012, 01:48:32 pm »

That's your own fault, if you read a thread specifically about spoilers whilst not expecting spoilers.
Here's a tip, though... Use Russian characters in your WPA5 passphrase. If your spontaneous AI is anything like my spontaneous AI (not as aggressive as yours, good conversation, but actually worse than me at chess*), it can't handle any character outside of the CODEPAGE 437 list.

*I hope. It could just be lulling me into a false sense of security.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2012, 02:21:10 pm »

When I didn't know about the HFS, I was really interested about it. I didn't want it to be spoiled because I was imagining something fantastic.

When I learned it I was like "meh, this is the thing you guys wanted to keep unspoiled? I kinda figured it anyway"

Anathema

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2012, 11:12:03 pm »

The wiki defines HFS as "Hidden Fun Stuff" - so it's perfectly literal, as far as DF's unique definition of "Fun" goes anyway. I think it dates back to an old dev log or patch note where Toady mysteriously mentioned something like: "Added Hidden Fun Stuff" and left us to discover the details.

Also:

When I didn't know about the HFS, I was really interested about it. I didn't want it to be spoiled because I was imagining something fantastic.

When I learned it I was like "meh, this is the thing you guys wanted to keep unspoiled? I kinda figured it anyway"

Well, that's the whole problem with referring to things like HFS and Candy and so on - the moment a noob hears one of those terms, the battle is half lost, because just knowing that something hidden exists is a spoiler unto itself. You don't really get the full effect unless you stumble across it without having any idea there was something to discover in the first place.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 11:15:55 pm by Anathema »
The good news is that ghosts die of old age.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2012, 11:24:02 pm »

Wait, there are people who still consider this a big secret that must not be spoiled?

I know it bugs the heck out of me. The fact that you could unleash demons by digging too deep was like the second thing I ever heard about Dwarf Fortress (After "Elephants are dangerous") It's like trying to avoid "Spoiling" the fact that Hamlet has a scene with a skull.

On a related note I've never figured out why Adamantine is called Candy.
Adamantine is ultra lightweight, and a light blue color, not unlike cotton candy. I'd guess that's where the name originates from?
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Burnup

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill until you can't, Then savescum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2012, 11:21:47 am »

That's your own fault, if you read a thread specifically about spoilers whilst not expecting spoilers.

That is assuming I was in a thread about it.
It wasn't in a thread about it. It was over 2 years ago, and I clearly avoided the threads on the subject. But I still ran into careless jokes about it on other threads. I don't resent it, I'm informing you.
Just tell her that you were merely doing what the voices in your head were telling you to do.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2012, 11:23:53 am »

How could you stop people from despoiling?  Apart from Toady's offical request there's always bound to be that one guy.

Also, found out that at least 3 people in my rather small school play or at least are familiar w DF :)

They said they use the wiki, but used the forum only once or twice.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Ruhn

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2012, 03:36:55 pm »

In my quest to build a fortress that survived, I read too much online.  Finding the various things while digging deep was still cool to actually see, but the shock and wonder wasn't what it should have been.

Just today someone started a post asking for ideas for their first successful fort, and got suggestions full of spoilers.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2012, 04:14:37 pm »

Spoilered to avoid spoilering the spoilers.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Man In Zero G

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2012, 04:30:32 pm »

Warning: the following was typed 10 hours after surgery while under the influence of pain medication. Please disregard grammatical and spelling errors, and understand that it may not make any sense at all. Or maybe it makes perfect sense.
There's no real point in spoilering adamantine itself. Slade too. The game has the fact that these minerals exists plastered all over it. It's in your stockpile lists, the Manager's job screen, I've had dwarves with a particular fetish for raw adamantine plenty of times. So the fact that adamantine exists, no point in spoilering. Definitely no point in euphemisms.
In fact, the euphemisms are what is spoiling the surprise, as Anathema said, because you know for sure something is there. And since people tend to be very specific about the scenario when using the euphemisms, so new players know exactly what's going to happen. They just don't know the real name of the beast that will do them in.
If you want to talk about spoiler material without spoiling it for new players, we have spoiler tags.
Because cottoncandy/circus/clowns is just a useless, bad meme. And that's why we'll never fully be able to get rid of it, because like every useless bad meme in any internet community, the newer members will perpetuate it, in an effort to demonstrate that they belong.
Quote from: Toady One
Their lack of eyes should stop them from crying.
Just watching dwarves make poor decisions repeatedly as I fix their little minds...
I haven't checked since I'm not doing bugs until after the release (well, I'm doing bugs, in the additive sense).

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2012, 04:34:41 pm »

Warning: the following was typed 10 hours after surgery while under the influence of pain medication. Please disregard grammatical and spelling errors, and understand that it may not make any sense at all. Or maybe it makes perfect sense.
There's no real point in spoilering adamantine itself. Slade too. The game has the fact that these minerals exists plastered all over it. It's in your stockpile lists, the Manager's job screen, I've had dwarves with a particular fetish for raw adamantine plenty of times. So the fact that adamantine exists, no point in spoilering. Definitely no point in euphemisms.
In fact, the euphemisms are what is spoiling the surprise, as Anathema said, because you know for sure something is there. And since people tend to be very specific about the scenario when using the euphemisms, so new players know exactly what's going to happen. They just don't know the real name of the beast that will do them in.
If you want to talk about spoiler material without spoiling it for new players, we have spoiler tags.
Because cottoncandy/circus/clowns is just a useless, bad meme. And that's why we'll never fully be able to get rid of it, because like every useless bad meme in any internet community, the newer members will perpetuate it, in an effort to demonstrate that they belong.
But if we had no memes, how would they belong? The art of Magma is being lost amongst the upper forums. Candy is being replaced slowly by its less intersting cousin, Adamantine. People have started to respect their dwarves, and not kill them arbitrailiy (you know who you are.)

Nay, it is not they who are attempting to belong, It is they who remind us of how it must be.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2012, 04:35:15 pm »

It's not a meme though. It's our upper forum's small vocabulary of jack speak. It's how we say it.

feralferret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2012, 07:07:10 pm »

It was spoiled for me because of the acronym HFS. When I first started I read it in a post here (was looking for help on some game mechanic I'm sure), felt the need to look it up on the wiki as I'd never seen it before. Wiki page for HFS says "Hidden Fun Stuff ->DF2010: Hell". I immediately dug down to check it out... I wasn't disappointed. :P

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2012, 08:06:16 am »

Wait, there are people who still consider this a big secret that must not be spoiled?

I know it bugs the heck out of me. The fact that you could unleash demons by digging too deep was like the second thing I ever heard about Dwarf Fortress (After "Elephants are dangerous") It's like trying to avoid "Spoiling" the fact that Hamlet has a scene with a skull.

On a related note I've never figured out why Adamantine is called Candy.
Short for Cotton Candy. Both are blue, light, and made out of strands.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2012, 02:46:42 pm »

It's not a meme though. It's our upper forum's small vocabulary of jack speak. It's how we say it.

That is the very definition of meme.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6