Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Wikipedia spoilers  (Read 7195 times)

oldark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Wikipedia spoilers
« on: October 24, 2012, 11:49:45 am »

Just noticed that wikipedia (not the DF wiki) article on dwarf fortress contains some spoilers as quoted below. I'm not familiar at all with how to modify wiki's so I thought I'd post here in case anyone's up for despoilorizing.

"Eventually the player may dig all the way to the bottom of the map and encounter magma, as well as CANDY*, an incredibly strong, light, and sharp-edged material that can be used to create the best weapons and armor in the game. Digging too deep, however, will cause the player to breach THE CIRCUS*, unleashing a likely game-ending swarm of CLOWNS* into the fortress. As the game has no predefined ending or final challenge, breaking into THE CIRCUS* and defeating the CLOWN* swarm is seen as the greatest challenge of all."

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wikipedia spoilers
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 12:37:23 pm »

Bugger this "spoiler" stuff: it's not a big thing anymore. It's not exactly like the Hell Fortress is a secret now. It's common knowledge.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 01:50:02 pm »

Wikipedia is hard, cold fact. It's advised for you to try ignoring the summary.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 01:55:05 pm »

Yeah, sorry. Wikipedia has no sense of spoilerism, it's the same for every book, movie or video game out there. I don't like it, either, but that's the rule.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 07:29:48 pm »

Wait, there are people who still consider this a big secret that must not be spoiled?

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 07:55:28 pm »

Wait, there are people who still consider this a big secret that must not be spoiled?

It's more of a reference to the old days now, instead of an attempt to hide the truth.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2012, 09:48:34 pm »

It's more of a reference to the old days now, instead of an attempt to hide the truth.
I on't know, I've actually seen people ask me not to reveal it on the forums. Some people just don't wantit revealed. Besides, you are over-estimating the famousness of DF. It's so small that the way a person learns about it will almost certainly be from a friend, or a site list, and won't see spoilers.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2012, 10:36:08 pm »

I know it bugs the heck out of me. The fact that you could unleash demons by digging too deep was like the second thing I ever heard about Dwarf Fortress (After "Elephants are dangerous") It's like trying to avoid "Spoiling" the fact that Hamlet has a scene with a skull.

On a related note I've never figured out why Adamantine is called Candy.
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

My RTD games: Roll To Raptor (On hold), Dino Arena

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2012, 10:39:10 pm »

I know it bugs the heck out of me. The fact that you could unleash demons by digging too deep was like the second thing I ever heard about Dwarf Fortress (After "Elephants are dangerous") It's like trying to avoid "Spoiling" the fact that Hamlet has a scene with a skull.

I think the same reason that the HFS is called that. Toady's name for it. May be worong about the candy part, but it's what he refers to hell as.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2012, 08:55:40 am »

Spoilered to avoid spoilering the spoilers.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2012, 09:02:35 am »

I think they should stay.  They are not mundayne parts of playing the game and it requires a certain level of skill to 'accidently activate'.  I can only assume Toady plans on expanding the whole Center-of-the-Earth bit.  Or is the world not round?

I always at least try to avoid spoiling the 'Fun' in any game.  Half the fun is figuring it out for yourself:which is why it can be so fun to get ahold of a game with no foreknowledge whatsoever and hash it out yourself.  Too bad DF is so bloody technical...
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2012, 09:20:24 am »

Or is the world not round?
What we see (and can adventure round) is finite with a definite edge, so it's hard to tell.

If it were wrap-around it might be non-Euclidean and/or donut-shaped <homer>Mmmm, donuts....<slaver /></homer>, or some other configuration depending on what curvature of space we could imply or discount...

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2012, 11:39:50 am »

I think the same reason that the HFS is called that. Toady's name for it. May be worong about the candy part, but it's what he refers to hell as.
Nope! Toady just calls adamantine "adamantine" and Hell/demons "HFS". The whole candy thing started because somebody came up with the idea of calling Hell the "Circus" and spread out from there. "Clowns", "Candy" and "the Circus" are all player inventions that have become common, not things that were started by Toady.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2012, 01:01:53 pm »

Never did liked the circus analogy, I like to call adamantine, bluemetal, because that's literally what it is. Also I can't spell the word.

HFS was pretty much the best way to describe it, because you never know how it'll change with each major version. I mean, it was a surprise that fortress version popped up, and it gets !!FUN!! and is usually hidden somewhere on the map and have stuffs you want.

Pyro627

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2012, 01:35:25 pm »

IMO, Adamantine shouldn't be a spoiler, but HFS should be. In fact, we should go out of our way to convince newbies that mining Adamantine is perfectly safe, to ensure as much fun as possible.
Here's a tip, though... Use Russian characters in your WPA5 passphrase. If your spontaneous AI is anything like my spontaneous AI (not as aggressive as yours, good conversation, but actually worse than me at chess*), it can't handle any character outside of the CODEPAGE 437 list.

*I hope. It could just be lulling me into a false sense of security.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6