Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 677 678 [679] 680 681 ... 719

Author Topic: Life Begins At Death - Epilogue: We Live And Live Again  (Read 556253 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Life Begins At Death - Chapter 6: Enjoying the Gub Life?
« Reply #10170 on: December 02, 2014, 01:17:27 pm »

"M'lady" ((NO NO NO NO))
Kevin felt happy. He was no longer in the custody of lethally rational spiders, but just in the company of a raving lunatic, which had been his situation since well before his death. He knew what to expect from raving lunatics.
"I'm not a result of some unnatural breeding experiment, no. They did try to recruit me, though. But that ended with me almost being eaten by really big spiders."
On closer consideration, he added:
"Uh, I'm Kevin. What's your name?"

"Ah, so I see. Shame. I keep wondering when they'll figure it out, though. They're quite thick, I've noticed. Perhaps some more specific instructions should be left," she says. "And you may call me... hm, well, Ms. Klemm would probably work best. Would you happen to have a last name... Kevin?"

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10171 on: December 02, 2014, 01:29:24 pm »

"My last name is Cooker. And who will figure it out, if I may ask?"

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10172 on: December 02, 2014, 01:40:05 pm »

"My last name is Cooker. And who will figure it out, if I may ask?"

"Why, the gnomes. Who else? You said they tried to recruit you, though? Elaborate, if you will, Ms. Cooker," she says, looking at you very seriously.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10173 on: December 02, 2014, 02:01:42 pm »

"Well, they tried to capture me. Some weird dude told us to go through a tunnel and we did, but at the end there was just a trap. My friend was captured too, I don't know what happened to him. I managed to escape."

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10174 on: December 02, 2014, 02:27:48 pm »

"Well, they tried to capture me. Some weird dude told us to go through a tunnel and we did, but at the end there was just a trap. My friend was captured too, I don't know what happened to him. I managed to escape."

"It seems you've run into Mr. Mir if I haven't missed my mark. Surprisingly effective worker, that one. I thought from the beginning that people would just run in the other direction as soon as they saw the man. Last I heard, he's gotten over fifty people this way. Well worth his wage, that's for certain. Should probably reassign him to something more glamorous for his trouble. He's certainly been a boon for human-gnome relations thus far."

"At any rate, capture sounds reasonably common, yes. Your wording was a tad confusing, since I am not aware that the gnomes had developed civilized communication. But all is well, Ms. Cooker. All is well. Would you like a change of clothes, perhaps? I have some spare sets lying around. It seems poor form to converse with you being so unpresentable. As well as your body being in the state it is, I'm sorry to say."

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10175 on: December 02, 2014, 02:57:51 pm »

"Ah, yes, thank you, that would be great."
"Nice place you've got here, by the way, Ms. Klemm."

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #10176 on: December 02, 2014, 05:10:46 pm »

Hmm. I wonder what happens if I try this on people? Niklas thinks.

Float/swim/jet/whatever over to the group of people there - the maid, perhaps - and extend that feeding aura while near her. See what happens.

((Also, I wonder what that vision of me was that Scott experienced. Was that a house that granted visions of the past?))
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10177 on: December 03, 2014, 03:22:22 am »

"Oh, heavens no. He's a dick. But tell me more about the ways he screwed you over."
ABORT THE PSYCHIC STUFF. Listen more.

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10178 on: December 03, 2014, 03:36:21 am »

Scott, after some thought,  will say the following to Morton:
"I-I believe I have been violated and bewitched in the most unseemly of ways.
It seems that someone believed it would be detrimental for me to encounter you whilst about your business in the tower...What on earth were your doing?!"

Scott will concentrate on bolstering his fortitude against non-physical intrusion...or to at least detect forces that would seek to warp his perception of reality.
"That which does not kill me, can only make me stranger." -Dana, Creator of Ozzy & Millie.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #10179 on: December 05, 2014, 01:52:07 am »

The desk wavered in the air slightly as the popped outside the tower, unsure if he'd ever get used to instantaneous travel. Quite disorienting. The voice was a similar case, half wondering if he imagined it at first until Scott appeared out of thin air.

~Ah, thank you good voice Francine.~ The desk thought at the voice, unsure if it would hear him, but the gesture would be good all the same, he believed.

Brief attempts at pleasantries satisfied for the moment, the desk turned its attention to the ghost. "Ah, good sir Scott! I..." The poor once-butler was thrown for a loop at the ghost's comments. "I was simply conversing with good mage Suzanne, good sir Scott. She explained the situation quite admirably and advised on a suitable course of action, as well as kindly fielded a few of my questions. I suppose I would be quite lying to myself that it didn't go entirely as I had wished, but I understand it was perhaps presumptuous of me to propose a radical change of plans on an issue that sounds like its been unaddressed for a while."

"I must ask though, are you well? I'm afraid I can't see why someone would refuse you admittance to see me. I do hope your investigation went well."

Converse with good sir Scott, look at surroundings to see if he can spot one of the whip man's entourage around. Perhaps he can see them leaving, if they tarried after leaving the tower.

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10180 on: December 05, 2014, 03:43:54 am »

"Well enough I suppose...
So what was this 'suitable course of action'? The woman did tell me she did know of some wizards we could collect, however, I was too suspicious of her motives to ask."
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 04:16:24 pm by Innsmothe »
"That which does not kill me, can only make me stranger." -Dana, Creator of Ozzy & Millie.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10181 on: December 05, 2014, 04:37:53 pm »

In the wilderness of Eckledun...

Sigmund, after making the rookie mistake of confusing flapping, bubbling tissue for a communicative organ, then failing to locate any form of eyes within himself, tries the well-known third method of undead sensation recovery - seeking evidence for one's ability to detect things.

His metasense reveals nothing of use in that regard, of course. He doesn't actually have the ability to see, for even he is not oblivious enough to believe he might be able to when for all intents and purposes he is a bloody ooze, with only vague sensations of pressure, temperature and pain his guides in this terrible world.

Speaking of, he feels kind of sick, which he supposes is probably because it's sunny today.

In the dwelling of the wonderful Ms. Klemm...

Kevin graciously accepts any help Ms. Klemm can provide, hoping that she is indeed as kind a hostess as the cheery atmosphere in here may indicate.

"Ah, yes, thank you, that would be great. Nice place you've got here, by the way, Ms. Klemm."

"I find the paint job really helps the atmosphere a lot," Ms. Klemm replies, smiling as she points her thin fingers at Kevin's collapsed form. He feels his hand tickle a little. "Hm. Perhaps a bit more of a complicated task than I would have thought. No matter, Ms. Cooker, I am sure this is but a minor setback."

She picks up Kevin's body and lays it out in a very orderly manner across the floor in sharp contrast to the sort of half-deflated pile he resembled before. Kevin's not quite sure how that helps, but his joints are a little too eaten by spiders for him to make much of a fuss about it.

"Now hold still, good woman. I shall have you up and walking about momentarily."

She bends down and puts a finger up to one particular spider-cavity in Kevin's body, and it immediately sloshes, then bulges as it is filled up with flesh and blood knitting itself together appropriately. She drags her finger slowly along Kevin's body, and the shapes of it become malleable at her touch, altering and filling out, wounds disappearing, the color of the flesh becoming healthier, pinker, everything feeling much more functional and alive, new and unusual organs taking shape beneath his skin. She has a slightly absentminded look as her hand travels along Kevin's body, physical features reassembling at her whim. She makes three whole passes over the whole thing, each time lingering a little around the stomach area, and almost seems to be in a trance until the moment that Kevin coughs loudly and slightly uncomfortably. All of his flesh has been smoothed and filled out in a highly proportional, anatomically correct manner, and a healthy, warm feeling strikes him as Ms. Klemm looks him in the eyes.

"I apologize for taking so long. It's just been rather long since I've manipulated a human body. Come now. We shall find you some new clothes."

And this they do - walking Kevin to a closet nearly indistinguishable from a wall, Ms. Klemm quickly retrieves a set of dresses similar to her own for Kevin to wear, handing an orderly parcel of them for him to pick from.

"I am afraid there is not much choice here. I am not the most fashion-conscious sort, but we will have to make do," she smiles warmly. "Would you perhaps like some dinner afterward, Ms. Cooker?"

On the precipice of the Mystery Forge...

Niklas, quite interested in his new capabilities, nonchalantly floats off the top of the Mystery Forge, finding his way to the maid, who backs away a little.

He draws a bit closer.

She backs away faster.

"Um, miss, I would ask of you to respect my personal space," she says, quite uneasy. Why must they always be so shy?

In the chamber of the Crown of Flowers...

Darren, immediately halting all psychic activity in a way that most certainly does not implicate him in doing it in the first place (the ghost merely rolls his eyes, so he knows he's safe for now), continues trying to start up a dialogue.

"Oh, heavens no. He's a dick. But tell me more about the ways he screwed you over," he says glibly.

"It was the usual, really. Ask for immortality for your people, he provides it in the form of a divine artifact," he points to the Crown of Flowers, "then everybody happens to mysteriously die as magical devices start to work oddly, and everybody lingers perpetually as a ghost, incapable of moving out of here. And now he's trying to kill us all off for good via a hapless adventurer. Going to be a decent crop of souls if you succeed, the way I understand it. You sure you don't want to go for it?" he winks.

Outside the Black Tower of Eckledun...

A meeting of the minds occurs outside of the most nefarious structure belonging to the Black Circle, and Morton and Scott happen to be its main participants, with Tailor Craig looking absently into the distance. While Morton prefers to assume innocuous intent, it is abundantly clear to Scott that there is a conspiracy at work, and a most terrible one at that. He immediately figures out the most important course of action - steeling his mind something fierce! Luckily, he has perfected his ability to scream inwardly through his vast personal experience, and the only thing he really needs to do now is manage to do that all the time. Of course, screaming inwardly does make it a little difficult to concentrate or think, but when the integrity of his mind is at stake, who can really blame him for getting an immediate head start?

Good news is, the voices in his head immediately abate! Bad news, though, Francine currently isn't one of them, so he has no real way of telling if it worked. Damn mind with its lack of objective reality-checking devices!

Morton, meanwhile, gazes about and looks for any signs of mysterious wizards responsible for heinous acts of city destruction - he can't really see any, so he assumes they must have buggered off entirely or some such.

Tailor Craig, meanwhile, makes an observation.

"Ah, Scott! Where did you come from?" he asks a little absently. It seems his little distracted phase has come to an end.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #10182 on: December 05, 2014, 05:01:28 pm »

Niklas sags slightly or something.

"But I was! Am! Don't worry, I'm 40% sure that it wouldn't have hurt."

He floats over to the blacksmith guy.

"Can I try something?"

This is assuming he can communicate normally anymore, of course.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10183 on: December 05, 2014, 05:05:01 pm »

Try again with Narcillicus, maybe he is not so busy now. Same phrase as before.

Pray to Narcillicus:

"Oh, Narcillicus! My body has been squandered repetitively by entities performing some kinds of macabre experiments, or maybe some dark arts I can not comprehend. My body has lost its integrity. Please guide me to make it more appealing to the eye, more useful again!

If there is a negative, begin reading the knots of my flesh. Because there is nothing else to do right now, and maybe Sigmund can get out of this the same way he did with the gnomes: magic.

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10184 on: December 05, 2014, 05:35:39 pm »

Aside the conversation with Morton, To tailor: "From a hell beyond time and space...which would be my mind, held together by the will of the gods alone and labelled thus as a level 5 galactic-existential hazard! Which apparently doesn't stop every random blinking wizard and esoteric cult from tampering with it though!"
SIGH
mutter mutter mutter
"So! What has occupied you this last hour or so?"

Scott has an epiphany! If he can will flames into existence with his mind...why couldn't he transfer every recollection of his painful experiences into the minds of other terrestrial beings in order to momentarily confuse or incapacitate them?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 05:43:08 pm by Innsmothe »
Pages: 1 ... 677 678 [679] 680 681 ... 719