Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 670 671 [672] 673 674 ... 719

Author Topic: Life Begins At Death - Epilogue: We Live And Live Again  (Read 556538 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: Life Begins At Death - Chapter 6: Enjoying the Gub Life?
« Reply #10065 on: August 17, 2014, 11:44:25 am »

I'll bring it with me; I want to show it to the blacksmith.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10066 on: August 17, 2014, 11:46:25 am »

I'll bring it with me; I want to show it to the blacksmith.

"I see. Well, that's quite acceptable, I suppose. The ham may get a little dirty in there, though."

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10067 on: August 17, 2014, 11:49:34 am »

That just adds to the texture. Now then, where's the smithy?

To the smithy!
Sig! Onol

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #10068 on: August 17, 2014, 04:35:49 pm »

[Apologies if my posts for a bit aren't up to usual snuff, typing on a phone isn't the easiest.]

"Oh, we are quite people indeed, good sir and miss." Morton spoke, his frame tilting forward as brown arms extend to accompany the respectful bow. He was mindful of the tea, however. Both his, and with a twinkle in a non-existent eye, theirs.

"If it's not too much bother, would you perhaps know where we are? I'm afraid this is my first time visiting such a prestigious place, so I fear I may lack knowledge of common practices such as, well, suddenly appearing other places. Oh, but where are my manners, first, proper introductions are in order: I am Carter Morton, and this is my friend, good tailor Craig."

Greet the affable mages, inquire of current location.

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10069 on: August 17, 2014, 11:31:15 pm »

"Ah. Okay then. I uhh, I guess you're with me then. You, uhh, got a name?"
Every time I meet a ghost, I swear.
Onwards!

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10070 on: August 20, 2014, 06:06:49 pm »

Above Eckledun...

Scott, figuring that his friend's probably on top of his game as usual, descends to check the door to the inside of the tower. But sadly, there's nobody here! Well, aside from a small dog sitting by the nearby wall, watching Scott silently.

It appears to be judging him.

On a rocky precipice outside a labyrinth of spiders...

Kevin decides to risk another swim - but only with certain precautions, naturally. Such as a precious lifespider to keep him afloat. He lies down and waits for a spider to come within reach.

[Spider 1 vs. Kevin: 3 vs. 6-1+1]

And as soon as the first spider begins to prod at him painfully, Kevin strikes!

[Countergrab: Kevin vs. Spider 1: 2 vs. 4]

Unfortunately, a living spider is a little difficult to grab, especially in this kind of darkness!

[Spider 2 vs. Kevin: 4 vs. 3]

Another spider pokes him in the arm!

[Spider 3 vs. Kevin: 6 vs. 2-1+1]

And a third stabs him right in the chest, and at that very moment Kevin's arms go stiff and he can't quite move anymore! The spiders, having obtained food at last, begin to drag him away, into the labyrinth.

Underneath many tons of rock...

Sigmund guesses there's an easy solution to the whole rock problem (or stone problem) that he's having - more magic, obviously. More magic is the only option, of course, aside from prayer, which has far too many strikes against it according to Sigmund's personal experience to be considered viable, and maybe hoping for demonic intervention, which seems unlikely. So more magic it is!

[Sigmund's magic roll: 5]

A blade of presence is emitted upwards from Sigmund, and it parts the debris around him, creating a relatively small, stable upward tunnel, stone compacted all around it, taking off any pressure and also narrowing his chamber a significant amount - he feels there is only a small distance for his presence left to go, and then he can focus on rising up.

In one of the kitchens of Castle Fenton...

Niklas urges the maid to take him over to the smithy, and she does - it takes quite a walk, though not outside the castle, in a peculiar room that seems to be empty except for a giant black box in the very middle with a crude metal ladder leading up its side.

"Our smith is a tad... unusual," the maid explains, and knocks on the side of the box. After a solid minute of complete silence, the figure of a man appears on the edge of the box. He is a man, large and rather hairy, with crazy eyes and muscular build, shirtless and terribly scarred all over, and also possessing a rather long and also thoroughly singed beard.

"What do you people... a-wahey!" he goes upon spotting Niklas and his companion. "Not one, but two pretty girls coming to visit me today! How can I help?"

Upon looking in his wild eyes and seeing the untamed spirit within them, Niklas is almost swept off his feet with sudden infatuation.

In a waiting room of Eckledun's most magical tower...

"Oh, we are quite people indeed, good sir and miss," Morton informs the two mages.

"We may certainly look only vaguely human at best, but I assure you we are both gentlemen of class and distinction," Tailor Craig adds.

"If it's not too much bother, would you perhaps know where we are? I'm afraid this is my first time visiting such a prestigious place, so I fear I may lack knowledge of common practices such as, well, suddenly appearing other places. Oh, but where are my manners, first, proper introductions are in order: I am Carter Morton, and this is my friend, good tailor Craig."

"Mr. Morton, Mr. Craig, I am pleased to meet you both," the woman nods. "Lindsay Fenster, by the way."

"Jay Garfield. Also kind of pleased to meet you and all that," the young man offers.

And at that exact moment, two people walk in - a cheery woman in a black robe with a broad white stripe running down the middle and that fellow who whipped poor Morton back in Mothdale for no good reason, who Morton is slightly surprised to see here.

"Welcome, Carter! Welcome, Craig!" the woman goes. "How have you been? Is your quest going well? Because I'm Susanne, and I'm ready to help to the best of my ability."

The man merely looks at Morton quite intensely, his nostrils flaring with recognition.

In the Engineers' Tombs of the City of the Dead...

Darren, incapable of freeing himself from the warm, headless ghost, tries to make conversation instead as he moves along.

"Ah. Okay then. I uhh, I guess you're with me then. You, uhh, got a name?" he asks as they move toward a nearby wall, but the ghost, being very much neckless as well as headless, has not the throat to answer with, unfortunately.

Ultimately, though Darren makes it into a brand new room, one that seems to be more of a pit - a pit that glows a peculiar shade of cerulean, tiny little wisps of energy streaming up from it. He looks into it as best as he is able, and notices that there seems to be something at the bottom - a pedestal of some sort, a large figure seemingly circling around it. And in the walls of the pit he believes he can see spectral faces - either hiding ghosts or merely the remnants of ghosts, best described as humanoid and little else that Darren finds recognizable.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10071 on: August 20, 2014, 06:22:12 pm »

((Oh dear. Need time to think of response that won't lead to Helsvar killing me in my sleep. Gimme a few hours.))
Sig! Onol

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #10072 on: August 20, 2014, 07:56:00 pm »

[This will either end well or terribly. But I'm pretty sure this guy is just hunting the "demon-touched" of us now. Which means I probably won't get much of anywhere with diplomacy. But, Morton being Morton...

I don't doubt that soon he'll be shrieking in a very shrill manner if they were to meet again.]

Oh my. That was the first thought that popped into the desks mind upon witnessing the new arrivals. The next being the very base instinct to flee the violent man, followed shortly by if he could make peace with him. After all, the damage had been minimal and fixed by now, and he very much doubts the man would strike him here, but fear for one's mortal coil is rather convincing.

His civilized ethics winning out, the desk quickly regained composure and proceeded, giving the woman a bow, albeit mindful of the tea once more. "We fare quite wonderfully, good mage Susanne, and thank you for the gracious and speedy welcome. Formal greetings are quite in order I believe, I am Carter Morton, albeit most simply call me Morton, and this is my good friend, good tailor Craig. I do hope we aren't too much of a bother on your schedule." The tea apostle replied, mindful of the other guests, who prior he was just about to address before the newcomers arrived.

"As for the quest, marvelously considering the present circumstances. Before we perhaps get down to business -- as they say -- about Mothdale, I'd like to invite everyone here to a bit of tea, I brewed it myself not too long ago. I believe I should have enough for everyone. It's the least I can do to repay your attention."

Turning to Fenster and Garfield, the desk apologized quickly. "I'm terribly sorry our conversation is cut short, and it is a pleasure to meet the both of you. I do hope we can continue it afterwords; I don't wish to take up to much of good mage Susanne's time when others could be waiting."

Greet Susanne, be affable, invite all in the room (including the whipman) to tea. Apologize to the other two mages for their conversation being cut short.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10073 on: August 20, 2014, 11:33:37 pm »

Ohmy
*ahem*
Helsvar, I'd like you to know that I will always be loyal to you, and that any untoward actions on my part are not mine, but the result of the uterus devils infesting this body's bowels climbing up into my head.

Compose self with thoughts of cooking and drudgery. Try not to vacantly stare.

"Smithman! I have an important proposition."

Show him the ham and the drawing.

"Are you skilled enough to put this image on a helmet and leave the scariness in? I need a war helmet. I think I lost my previous one to some sort of fish. Or something. Anyhow, can you do it?"
Sig! Onol

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10074 on: August 21, 2014, 12:51:00 am »

Despite being in a rush, Scott politely requests entry. He has learned in his travels that one does not test the patience or the temper of wizards.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 07:59:39 am by Innsmothe »
"That which does not kill me, can only make me stranger." -Dana, Creator of Ozzy & Millie.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10075 on: August 21, 2014, 02:33:56 am »

BITE SPIDERS

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10076 on: August 21, 2014, 05:34:11 am »

Finish upwards tunnel.

((I wouldn't be too worried about the Whip Man. He is no match for Craig. Or at least I hope that))

EDIT:

Make my pillar keep going up. Stop If I'm going too far. Better reduce the distance that something falling vertically on me would be able to use to accelerate. You know, so that history doesn't repeat itself.

EDIT OF THE EDIT:

Concentration check: with how much force would I have to push the pillar so that it doesn't crush me against the ceiling?

((And I'm here trying to beat entropy in an RTD. Yeah, I'm mad.))

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10077 on: August 22, 2014, 06:47:39 pm »

"Uh, are-are you guys also going to hug me?"
If no, proceed.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10078 on: August 26, 2014, 08:12:13 pm »

In a waiting room in the Black Tower of Eckledun...

Morton decides, against his animal instincts of flight and diplomacy, to be as affable as he can toward these people - no doubt they'll respond with the same.

"We fare quite wonderfully, good mage Susanne, and thank you for the gracious and speedy welcome. Formal greetings are quite in order I believe, I am Carter Morton, albeit most simply call me Morton, and this is my good friend, good tailor Craig. I do hope we aren't too much of a bother on your schedule."

"Very pleased to meet all of you."

"In all honesty, Carter, you shouldn't worry. Today, you basically are our schedule, if that makes sense."

It sort of does, but that does not make the remark sound less ominous. The whip man appears to be eying Morton, stroking his chin and sniffing the air thoughtfully.

"As for the quest, marvelously considering the present circumstances. Before we perhaps get down to business -- as they say -- about Mothdale, I'd like to invite everyone here to a bit of tea, I brewed it myself not too long ago. I believe I should have enough for everyone. It's the least I can do to repay your attention."

And thus he serves tea - the whip man is the first to take a sip. It's a good, long sip.

"Yum," he says, narrowing his eyes at Morton.

The others seem quite pleased with it as well, though they say nothing, merely making animal noises of approval. Morton quickly apologizes to Jay and Lindsay.

"I'm terribly sorry our conversation is cut short, and it is a pleasure to meet the both of you. I do hope we can continue it afterwords; I don't wish to take up to much of good mage Susanne's time when others could be waiting."

"Oh, it's no trouble at all. There's not much business we had here in the first place."

"Though I suppose we'll stick around in any case."

"Well then!" Susanne sort of interjects. "You have business here. Shall we get to discussing, then? There's the Not-So-Free City of Gub, and you need people there. Mages, to be specific. We can help, of course, and I believe you'd be interested."

At the smithy of Castle Fenton...

Niklas, considering that his loyal lady love has the privilege of hearing his every thought, or at least he thinks that might be the case, tries to assuage her no doubt very overt suspicions.

~Helsvar, I'd like you to know that I will always be loyal to you, and that any untoward actions on my part are not mine, but the result of the uterus devils infesting this body's bowels climbing up into my head.~

"Strange how I have never had that problem, isn't it, my love?"

"Tee-hee, Dad has funny feelings deep inside!"

He tries to compose himself despite this lack of faith in the existence of uterus devils, which are surely to blame. He only succeeds in getting his palms to start sweating.

"Smithman! I have an important... proposition," he says, inhaling deeply as his heart starts to beat faster, producing the ham and showing it to the breathtakingly beautiful man. His face immediately becomes quite grim, and Niklas' heart sinks a little, but he continues, albeit a little shakily. "Are you skilled enough to put this image on a helmet and leave the scariness in? I need a war helmet. I think I lost my previous one to some sort of fish. Or something. Anyhow, can you do it?"

"I'm afraid I cannot in good conscience do that, milady," he explains slowly. "It goes against my creed to reproduce things of beauty. It cheapens their appeal, and the visage of this ham is far too beautiful in its impermanence. It will soon be eaten, no doubt, and if not, it will decompose, losing its original shape. But it will remain in the memory of the ones who have seen it. And from there, the memories will grow and transcend the physical limitations of the medium. To make an imitation of this ham would be to deprive it of its true potential for horror, and I can't bring myself to do such a thing, sad as it may make me to decline. But tell me, who was the artisan who shaped this ham? It would be most interesting to speak with him, I think."

Outside the Black Tower of Eckledun...

Scott, though not rich in time at the moment, nevertheless decides to go with what social custom dictates he should do. And that is to politely request entry.

"Ahem. May I come in?" he asks, and the dog merely replies with a bark, then begins to pant. Its eyes are still judging.

In the grasp of spiders in the dark...

Kevin decides that he does not wish to be captured by spiders and have his insides liquefied, then eaten, and so he tries with all his might to bite the spiders carrying him!

[Kevin vs. Spider 1: 3-2 vs. 1]

He then almost immediately discovers that chitin is tougher than he thought it was, even when in such miniscule quantities as spiders possess it. It's like trying to bite through a centimeter of leather, he discovers. The spiders are a bit spooked by this, but move along with his body anyway, dragging him into the rather unsafe-feeling cracks. He is dragged for a good five minutes before he is allowed to settle in a certain place, at which point the spiders bite him several times, anesthetically neutralizing basically any muscle movements on his part. And then, in a move you'd entirely expect from your average spider, they immediately begin to fight from the sound of it.

At that moment, the sounds of intense, sustained fumbling around of eight-legged creatures fill the area where Kevin is deposited - Kevin quickly comes to the conclusion that spiders probably can't fight each other that well. Especially if they're the same species. But they are animalistic machines that exist only to murder, so what else are they going to do? In the next few minutes there's chittering, jumping sounds, legs rubbing up against one another, fangs swinging around and missing, pedipalps clashing, chelicerae spurting venom, that sort of thing. Then a sudden high-pitched screech and the sound of something getting crushed. The noises become less audible, and there's a sound of legs tapping against the stony surroundings, growing more distant. And then, only one spider begins to drag Kevin off again - he's still entirely numb, but one guesses he could still get out of it. Somehow.

In a secluded subterranean chamber...

Sigmund, in no rush whatsover, wonders how much force is needed to push him upward. Locked in a box and not very educated on these matters, the best he can provide is a ballpark estimate. And if he had to guess, it's not at all a matter of "how much force", but really kind of an issue of "how to displace", in which case the answer is a definite "slowly". He needs actual compacted material to fill the area beneath him, so that when he moves his presence he doesn't run the risk of falling down, but scooping that much rock up without making the place cave in on him may be difficult - the obvious answer is to scoop from some distance away. And then, once everything's pushed over here, though not to a degree where it crushes him, then he might be able to make a pillar up to where he wants to be.

Simple hypothetically, of course, but Sigmund has not let that stop him in the past.

At a strange pit of some sort...

Darren, for fear of accumulating yet more friends on his body, decides to ask a question.

"Uh, are-are you guys also going to hug me?"

Some of the faces begin to shake vigorously. Some begin to go in circles. Darren guesses that's a no, and decides to proceed - though in this case, he finds himself inexorably drawn to the bottom of the pit. He moves closer and closer, and something becomes increasingly visible on the pedestal - a wreath of sorts, green and full of life, although seemingly coated in a layer of glowing ectoplasm, giving it a strange sheen, then encased in a greater sphere of glass set into a very predatory-looking claw. And around it floats a ghost - over two meters tall and recognizably human, although there seems to be something peculiar about him. It's unplaceable, really - there's something up with his balding scalp, his darting eyes, his rather muscular frame, his flowing robe. A distinct aura of unnaturalness, one might say, though its exact nature is elusive.

Judging from the rather obvious importance of the pedestal, Darren would guess that's the Crown of Flowers. Though who the man is, he cannot say. Before he can really devote it much thought, the man looks at him, his eyes seemingly swimming freely around his face, altering their position to view Darren from as many perspectives and angles as possible, though he says nothing.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10079 on: August 26, 2014, 08:50:06 pm »

That's because your body is pure and wonderful and from the North. I don't even remember where I got this one; I bargained it out of some guy so I wouldn't have to be a chair, I think? It's third rate, while yours is masterwork.

"I did, obviously. Now then, step aside. I'm gonna have that terrifying helm one way or another, even if I have to spontaneously teach myself how to blacksmith!"

Make a frowny face. Also check that I still have both arms, I remember them getting ripped off a little while ago.
If he steps aside, dash into the workshop and try to figure out this blacksmithing business.
If not, keep on talking.

Sig! Onol
Pages: 1 ... 670 671 [672] 673 674 ... 719