Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 613 614 [615] 616 617 ... 719

Author Topic: Life Begins At Death - Epilogue: We Live And Live Again  (Read 556723 times)

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Life Begins At Death - Chapter 6: Enjoying the Gub Life?
« Reply #9210 on: March 10, 2014, 06:07:47 pm »

"Can you turn down the light, and allow me to gaze upon my savior and new found friend?"
"That which does not kill me, can only make me stranger." -Dana, Creator of Ozzy & Millie.

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9211 on: March 10, 2014, 06:43:40 pm »

Darren watched for a moment, drawn in by the dripping of the water and the ghost's bobbing eyes. He spoke up after a moment.
"Ah.. H-Hello?"

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #9212 on: March 10, 2014, 07:59:10 pm »

[Eh, I'll try both. Worth a shot, maybe.]

Morton will try to pretend to be nothing more than an inanimate, broken desk. If it looks like the dolphin isn't going to buy it or will attack anyway, the desk will focus on solely on defense until his allies can help.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 07:10:35 am by Xanmyral »

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9213 on: March 11, 2014, 01:50:34 am »

((Thanks for the awesome sword, Tomcost c: ))
Attack the remaining dolphin!

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9214 on: March 11, 2014, 12:01:00 pm »

At the Red Tower of Power...

Niklas, guessing there's only so many books he can read at this point, takes a look at that Unified Chant Compendium - it appears to be exactly what it says on the cover, a compendium of chants, neatly separated and indexed for easy use. The compendium has three large sections - one-dimensional chants, two-dimensional chants and three-dimensional chants, plus a small appendix of experimental four-dimensional work as well. The compendium's a bit too large to read in a single go, so Niklas supposes he'd be better off searching for some specific chant - there's a handy table of contents here, too.

The information held within the book seems to include many things - the name of a chant, an explanation of its effects, chant suggestions for added synergy, suggested chanting length, the chant itself in its entirety, with some having optional variants, and some comments by influential authors at the bottom of the entry. Each chant has about a page devoted to it in the first section, and one chant at the end takes up fourteen pages and seems to be filled with largely incomprehensible symbols.

Outside a ruined tavinn in Blynn...

Timothy feels quite betrayed by the not very nice people he was honestly trying to help. His sensitive soul is rather deeply hurt by these terrible blighters, in fact.

"But... but... but..."

Lacking any other option, he sniffs a little, then sobs, then starts to grotesquely weep and wail at the way the world seems to be going out of its way to hurt him and make him look like a bad guy. What kind of world does that? He cries his eyes out, the emotional outburst setting off a chain reaction in his mind, becoming a nearly self-sustaining process. The man and woman look creeped out by it, but nevertheless continue their attempts to escape, the woman managing a burst of strength and beginning to drag the man away. Timothy just weeps on as they slowly disappear around a nearby corner, and the dog briefly shakes in place before choppily flying after them.

Timothy is left once again alone and friendless, with nobody around even caring one whit for his feelings.

At the harbor of Shriekpot...

Sigmund, though a rather miserable failure at most other things, believes he can be of use in the dispatching of this dolphin - it is a four-on-one battle now, after all. So he tries to slam into the strange dolphin.

[Sigmund vs. McStrange: 1 vs. 5+1-1]

As he bumps into the dolphin, the creature gives him a long look. It seems he got its attention.

[Counterattack: McStrange vs. Sigmund: 4+1+1+1 vs. 2-1]

It proceeds to leap on top of him and begins smashing the everloving crap out of his not overly delicate body with Mark's leg - pieces of stolen human flesh fly as the leg is swung with unbelievable force by the dolphin. Whole chunks of Sigmund fly through the air, coating his comrades with generous helpings of skin and sinew. Within twenty seconds of wild flailing and ravaging of Sigmund's strange form, it finally reaches the orb deep within the worm's body - its first impulse upon noticing a shiny is, obviously, to hit it as hard as possible. The orb cracks.

[Sigmund's will roll: 4]

Sigmund is nearly paralyzed with fear, and his mind hearkens back to a day in his life when his very own mother told him that the best thing to do when being bullied is to curl up, bear it and let whoever was taking out their issues on you wear themselves out - it's this particular form of paralysis and seclusion that seems to be preventing his very soul from leaking out of the cracked surface of the orb.

It takes a few moments for the others to finally get their undead behinds into gear and try to aid the brave little worm that tried as hard as it could. Mark goes first.

[Mark vs. McStrange: 3+2 vs. 4]

He pokes the dolphin sharply, but it fails to react, and Mark doesn't think he can get too close without a serious risk of being struck.

Morton, realizing full well how fortunate he is to not have been on the receiving end of that particular outburst, tries to remain as unobtrusive and furniture-like as possible - it works perfectly, as the dolphin has found something else to take its frustrations out on.

Finally, Kevin attempts to help as well.

[Kevin vs. McStrange: 5+2 vs. 5]

He carves out a solid chunk out of the dolphin's side, yet the creature cares not one whit, and continues beating on Sigmund.

[McStrange vs. Sigmund: 3+3 vs. 5-1]

It doesn't seem to be devoting much attention to Sigmund's exposed orb - rather, it seems to insist on destroying as much of the worm's already gutted and torn form as it can, accidentally knocking the orb aside a little as it devotes all of its attention to turning Sigmund's former body into a bloody smear. Sigmund, though he feels like he probably could move his body, wonders if he really should. The dolphin could take that as provocation.

In a place of blinding white...

Scott asks if his new friend could maybe tone down this whole 'being the Sun' thing he's got going.

"Can you turn down the light, and allow me to gaze upon my savior and new found friend?"

"No, Jeremy, don't be ridiculous! That won't work at all! The light is who I am! Weren't you listening? Besides, we've been best friends for the past seven hundred years! You know what I bloody well look like, you silly bugger! Now come on! To adventure!" the voice rebukes him, and begins to lightly whistle as it floats upward.

At a forming stalactite...

Darren watches as the odd creature keeps tapping its beat, eventually daring to speak up.

"Ah.. H-Hello?" he asks unsurely, and one of the creature's eyes twists to face him, and he notices a mouth swim out of the transparent flesh, its rather disturbingly large lips smacking a few times before speaking to him.

"Hey there, beautiful. What's a pretty thing like you doing in a place like this?" it asks in a deep, definitely male voice while still regarding the stalactite with one eye and not missing a single beat.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 12:02:56 pm by Harry Baldman »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #9215 on: March 11, 2014, 12:03:42 pm »

Hmm. Wasn't there something the fat lady had sent me out for?
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9216 on: March 11, 2014, 12:05:22 pm »

Use his distraction to skewer him on my sword, while Mark hopefully does the same with his halberd.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9217 on: March 11, 2014, 12:10:59 pm »

Hmm. Wasn't there something the fat lady had sent me out for?

You do remember that she sent you out for a book, the one you tried to read, but couldn't because you hadn't read all the things on its reading list. It's been one and a half days since she sent you out, you would say. This reminds you that you're feeling kind of hungry again.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #9218 on: March 11, 2014, 12:14:47 pm »

Go find something to eat, or to steal and then eat.
Try to read that book again afterward. Surely skimming the texts it recommends count, right?
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9219 on: March 11, 2014, 12:40:52 pm »

Curl up, protect the orb from the beatings!

((Hey, that's my first will roll, right? I SURVIVED A WHOLE CHAPTER WITHOUT MAKING A WILL ROLL. I mean, to determine wether I die or not))

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9220 on: March 11, 2014, 03:04:48 pm »

Scott will mentally shrug and follow the light.
Welll, there were these neat guys I've been hanging around with, if they are anyway competant they should be looking for the ship, probably located at the harbor. Would you like to say hello?
"That which does not kill me, can only make me stranger." -Dana, Creator of Ozzy & Millie.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #9221 on: March 11, 2014, 05:47:17 pm »

[Probably not the greatest idea, but...]

Oh dear, that strange dolphin sure is giving that poor worm a once over. The desk momentarily thought about not getting involved, but the worm did only try to help them, it would only be fair to help back. But what can he do in his state?

Wait, is that surgeon Mark's leg? Is the dolphin beating on that strange worm with a leg? That will not do, not at all! For one, that's one of his compatriot's limbs, one can't just beat another within an inch of their life with that! That's just dreadfully rude, which is only compounded by that the 'another' in this case is a rather helpful worm!

Perhaps through more bravado and wanting to help than actual brains, the desk attempts to disarm the strange dolphin of its weapon! And then promptly go on the defensive if possible.

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Master of !!MEDICINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9222 on: March 11, 2014, 05:48:34 pm »

Use his distraction to skewer him on my sword, while Mark hopefully does the same with his halberd.
Having had the same idea Mark skewers the dolphin on his halberd.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 04:03:40 am by killerhellhound »
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9223 on: March 11, 2014, 05:54:08 pm »

"GuuwaaaAAAAAAAAHHHHahuhuhuhuhgghhh!!"

>Continue crying!
Can't bottle this stuff up, y'know? That's how you end up with baggage. And baggage is heavy. And telekinetically carrying heavy stuff is hard.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9224 on: March 11, 2014, 06:18:42 pm »

((Odds are then dolphin is likely to get mauled and/or killed next turn. I hope it happens))
Pages: 1 ... 613 614 [615] 616 617 ... 719