Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 404 405 [406] 407 408 ... 719

Author Topic: Life Begins At Death - Epilogue: We Live And Live Again  (Read 556563 times)

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
Re: Life Begins At Death - Chapter 5: The Path of Dreams
« Reply #6075 on: July 21, 2013, 05:48:37 pm »

Hm... Bother. Ah well, it will take a bit of practice to get his touch back in this form, that isn't a realization that shocks him too dearly. Entirely new body, new senses, so such, but he has the knowledge! Now he just needs to figure out how to properly use it in conjunction with his new form. Either way, Morton will add a touch of tea leaves, set it back on the heat source, attempt to find a spoon and very slowly stir it. Occasionally he'll check its progress by pulling it off and looking.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6076 on: July 21, 2013, 06:44:31 pm »

And idea then crossed through Sigmund's mind, he said to Art:

-I'm asking this to you because I found a peculiar tree near the Yaleson's house. Not only it was able to move, but it was able to hate other beings. And when it concentrated that hate in a particular being, a horrible and weakening sensation was produced in the affected person. I wonder if its soul would retain that quality, it may become a useful artifact.

((Somebody wants to go with me to hate a particularly hateful willow?))

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6077 on: July 21, 2013, 06:53:38 pm »

[You think Art might know more if we show him the branch Morton has?]

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6078 on: July 21, 2013, 06:56:11 pm »

((i really doubt that the branch is important at all. It can't hate, so it is not part of the hateful being anymore))

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6079 on: July 21, 2013, 07:01:16 pm »

[Well, it can taint things though. We've seen evidence enough of this with the mushrooms, while the soul may not be in it the nature of the plant might be made bare to Art. Maybe, that is all kinda assuming it doesn't just look like any old branch really.]

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6080 on: July 21, 2013, 07:04:25 pm »

((Hm, maybe, it doesn't cost us anything to show it to him))

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6081 on: July 21, 2013, 07:42:25 pm »

"Well, it's been a while since I wailed, and I don't have my band, so don't expect too much."
Sing/Wail.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #6082 on: July 21, 2013, 11:11:29 pm »

Niklas sighed as much as it is possible for a chair to do. 
Torkeluweragnaharalniklastur, I'll answer your questions in one conversation. For now, I need to talk with Kruubalnitsomapürongadēe. 

Kruub, as you can probably tell, I've been turned into a chair and I need to get back to my regular body, preferably with some cooking implements. So I need you to get me hallucinating and then make them real for me when I say. I'll consider us even if you do this, in repayment for me convincing my chef instructor Dârbobītastanacoodlintavor not to make you into hermit crab cakes.

Niklas chuckles, the motion expressing itself in a series of judders and squeaks. 

Honestly, this is probably what I deserve for getting mixed up with mages without being one. Can you believe the people in the town I got chopped up in thought I was a raider? Bah. I'm not nearly experienced enough to be a professional yet.
Drifting back to the matter at hand, he addresses the Norsemen and women once again. 
How are you here, anyway? I can't see, hear, feel, smell, speak or move.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6083 on: July 22, 2013, 02:28:22 am »

Kevin walks up to the Artiste and ask if there's anything he could do.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6084 on: July 22, 2013, 09:01:52 am »

On the shrieking ship of Shriekpot...

Scott, rather interested in the acquisition of his... well, not hard-earned cash, but certainly cash that wasn't the easiest to obtain. To further his goal, he wanders into the only area that the Artiste could possibly ever be in - the cargo hold, taking his new buddy with him.

However, disaster strikes! Only the Captain haunts the cargo hold!

"Why, HELLO THERE! I do RECALL YOU, LITTLE MAN. But the LARGE PERSON seems STRANGELY ALIEN TO ME! WHO ARE YOU, LARGE PERSON?"

"Why, they call me Humongous Hugh Haliburton, and I do mostly enforcing and intimidation for a living - got to keep all the dirty scoundrels in the docks in line, am I right? I also do heavy lifting, but that's really more of a hobby. Who might you be, good sir?"

"ME? I'm THE CAPTAIN of THIS SHIP! DON'T ASK what my NAME is, I DON'T REMEMBER EXACTLY!"

"Pity. I'm sure you probably had the most wonderful name."

"I GET THAT FEELING AS WELL! CURIOUS, no?"

Back on deck, though, Mark decides to use his current position optimally and go for a bit of fishing.

[Fishing roll: 2]

The fish are afraid of him, it seems.

Good.

Beneath Mark's metallic pelvis, though, a different sort of drama unfolds as Niklas addresses the increasing crowd of family and acquaintances enveloping him.

"Torkeluweragnaharalniklastur, I'll answer your questions in one conversation. For now, I need to talk with Kruubalnitsomapürongadēe."

Torkel sighs as his questions receive no answer.

"Okay, dad."

He then turns his attention to the hideous old codger who might help him rather than his own son.

"Kruub, as you can probably tell, I've been turned into a chair and I need to get back to my regular body, preferably with some cooking implements. So I need you to get me hallucinating and then make them real for me when I say. I'll consider us even if you do this, in repayment for me convincing my chef instructor Dârbobītastanacoodlintavor not to make you into hermit crab cakes."

Niklas judders and squeaks then, the sound of which would approach a chuckle if one were the type to try and listen in on a chair with the idea that it might even chuckle.

"Honestly, this is probably what I deserve for getting mixed up with mages without being one. Can you believe the people in the town I got chopped up in thought I was a raider? Bah. I'm not nearly experienced enough to be a professional yet."

However, before Kruub can answer him, he has one more question.

"How are you here, anyway? I can't see, hear, feel, smell, speak or move."

"We are here because you need us. You called to us, and we came. Helsvar came first because of her love, followed by your son and I. All of us are... well, might be important to you in some way, particularly I, if I may say so myself. I will help you, Niklas, but what I need to do is not so simple as merely casting a spell like one of those southern dilettantes might do. What I do is more... cerebral, really. And your thoughts are your thoughts - it is you who must make them real. And for that, you need practice, yes?"

"Ooh, you're going to learn magic? I've seen magic before. I wish I could do it. I tried many times."

"Shh, Torkel. Don't interrupt."

"What I propose will be difficult, but ultimately worthwhile for you. Would you agree to this, young man?"

As Niklas ponders this option, Sigmund continues his scintillating conversation with Art.

"I'm asking this to you because I found a peculiar tree near the Yaleson's house. Not only it was able to move, but it was able to hate other beings. And when it concentrated that hate in a particular being, a horrible and weakening sensation was produced in the affected person. I wonder if its soul would retain that quality, it may become a useful artifact."

Art looks to have been hit by a revelation.

"Wait, a tree that could do that? That does remind me of something. You know how mages can go... loopy sometimes? Genocidal and such? Well, they had a penalty for that in the Black Circle of Magic. Instead of just killing a powerful mage, they decided to use their bloated soul for something. However, these guys were usually pretty hateful, so they devised a way to calm them - bind them into a tree. I think they were going off the accepted theory that the body molds the soul to fit it or something, and that trees were the most tranquil, peaceful, unmoving things they could think of. At the end of it, they'd get a really rich soul out of the deal at the very least. I think they experimented with the idea - not sure what came of it, but the tree might be related to something like that. Plants don't really have thoughts like that naturally, anyway, I'm sure. I mean, what's the point? So you gotta bet there's magic involved, seriously messed-up magic. The kind I don't touch with a 3-meter pole. And it sounds kinda dangerous as a tree, which are mostly harmless. Not sure what would happen if you set it free from that and bound it to something... less peaceful."

Ooh, that's informative. And trivial.

Meanwhile, Kevin goes and looks for the Artiste.

Fortunately, he is less navigationally-confused than Scott, and the fellow proves easy to find. He appears to be showing the den to Tailor Craig.

"-and these walls, they're covered in this fascinating goop that glows and-"

"Excuse me, but do you have anything that needs doing?"

"... actually, yes. Could you go and find me as many books on the Sea of Death as you can? I think they might become rather useful."

Task obtained, Kevin guesses!

In a toymaker's house...

Morton, rather keenly aware of the shortcomings of his desk form right now, still tries to use his expertise to get the tea in proper shape. He will make a batch of tea that's presentable, and no amount of sensory impairment will stop him!

[Teamaking roll: 5+1]

He then proceeds to fix his concoction up in exactly the manner outlined, coming up with a rather visually appealing brew. Difficult to say how it will taste, but it certainly looks good. And strong, too.

In Karina's home...

Darren, though rather reserved about reliving his glory days, agrees to the request.

"Well, it's been a while since I wailed, and I don't have my band, so don't expect too much."

He clears his throat, then begins.

[Vocal performance roll: 4]

He manages a rather neat little number, a song about being dead and rather accepting of the fact. Though hardly a classically-trained singer, he wails in a reasonable pleasing and heartfelt manner. Karina looks rather pleased, and claps when he's done. Her applause doesn't sound quite like a normal human's, her spectral nature making the gesture sound rather more distant than one would think.

"That was quite good, Darren. I like your voice. Do you know any other songs?"

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6085 on: July 22, 2013, 09:20:05 am »

Sigmund suddenly understood what had truly happened to him! He said to Art:

-That actually explains what happened. Now I see that it would be better to not mess up with that soul, it may not be convenient for us, as it could case a lot of problems. Thank you for the information, Art, I apreciate it.

Sigmund then leaves to find Kevin talking to the Artiste, and asks:

-Is there anything that needs to be done?

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Master of !!MEDICINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6086 on: July 22, 2013, 10:02:08 am »

((miauw can you ask for help I want to help but want to stay IC))
Mark joins Keiven on his quest if asked.
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6087 on: July 22, 2013, 10:35:00 am »

((Yes! Now I have a plan to kill the six armed guard in the bookstore
Spoiler: Overcomplicated plan (click to show/hide)

How about this?))

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6088 on: July 22, 2013, 11:51:56 am »

((Perfect. And if shit hits the fan, I can goof our way out of it. ))
"Apparently we have to get some books on that sea thing we're going to. Do you of any bookstores around here?"

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6089 on: July 22, 2013, 12:54:38 pm »

Sigmund quickly pointed one out:

-I know one, it's called Brenwicke's Books. I can take you there if you want.

As Sigmund takes Kevin to the bookshop, Sigmund stops and asks Mark:

-Hey tree-head! Would you want to come with us to do some shopping? Maybe you will get some body part! Just make sure to attach them to someone who actually wants them.

Sigmund shakes Mark out of the chair if he can't stand up on his own, then takes everyone to the bookstore

EDIT: added something to my conversation with Mark
Pages: 1 ... 404 405 [406] 407 408 ... 719