Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 324 325 [326] 327 328 ... 719

Author Topic: Life Begins At Death - Epilogue: We Live And Live Again  (Read 557380 times)

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Master of !!MEDICINE!!
    • View Profile
Re: Life Begins At Death - Chapter 5: The Path of Dreams
« Reply #4875 on: May 24, 2013, 02:07:36 am »

Put the clam down for now and go into the darkness again, but with the lantern guy so we can see what is there.
follow after giving the clam and tracking its flight with soul o vision
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4876 on: May 24, 2013, 10:58:17 am »

In the Financial Consultation department of the de Jong and Associates Bank...

Sigmund, supposing that no amount of bureaucratic adventure can be classified as "quite enough", decides to actually listen to the man.

"What seems to be the problem?"

"Ah, my good fellow, I need you to follow me to the Personal Loans department."

"What for?"

"I require you to vouch for me so I can receive a loan of 20 gold."

"Oh, that's reasonable enough. Sure."

"Great! I'll give you 2 gold for your trouble! Follow me!"

The man walks to the lobby with Sigmund and walks to a door with a golden plaque above it with the engraved words "Personal Loans". This plaque is a bit nicer than the sign for Financial Consultation, not to mention clearly magical and luminous.

At the shrieking ship of Shriekpot...

Scott, getting right to business, addresses the room. Or maybe not. It's a bit difficult to tell.

"Guy, master wants us on the ship. You'll have to follow me."

The glowing man looks at him questioningly.

"Who, ME?"

"I am afraid not, captain. He must mean me and Erin."

"Oh. Well, THANKS FOR THE MAKEOVER!"

"Any time."

"Great to have helped ya, Cap'n! Also, magic ship came through! Sweet!"

Scott, paying no mind to Evelyn, steps over to Erin and commences a private conversation with the utmost discretion.

"Can you teach me the basics of creating golems? I would like to transfer my husband to a new body as soon as possible."

Erin leans into him and whispers in his ear.

"Ya gotta make a body, then put a soul in it. Or construct a soulless mind. That's it. Ya can make it with yer own hands or magic. Magic is easier after ya've learned it, craftsmanship is easier to learn."

She then straightens out again and looks at him unaffectedly.

"Is that all?"

"More or less. Of course, how ya make a body is real important. Gotta have a brain-pan of some kind, and that's the hardest part. Without a brain-pan ya've got something like your sheet-hubbie - inert thing that can't see, feel or think properly."

Ah.

In the cargo hold of the shrieking ship of Shriekpot...

Kevin does a quick lap around the cargo hold to get his bases covered. He comes to the conclusion that there was a bit unexplored, but most of it was boring and featured a few giant clams too many for his liking - about six in total in the cargo hold by his reckoning, and they're quite scattered. One particular clam, significantly larger than the others and featuring bright red splotches on its shell, seems to be sitting on a pile of bones. Morton, who chose to follow Kevin into the foreboding depths and extinguish his lighter, is also present to record this interesting sight.

In fact, everyone in the cargo hold is present. Niklas also chooses to come along after putting down the clam, and even Mark joins in on the fun after he tries to pick up the clam.

[Mark strength roll: 1]

He lifts the clam up with one arm, then is rather disappointed when this results in his metal arm popping out of its socket and dropping to the ground with a clang. And not only that, the clam falls on top of it. He may need help to retrieve it. But this does not matter right now! What matters is sticking together as a group! Mark runs after the rest, getting in line to look at the strange clam atop the pile of bones.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4877 on: May 24, 2013, 11:20:59 am »

Sigmund realized that if magic was involved, it wouldn't be sensible to vouch for someone he doen't know. He tried to politely explain that to the man:

-I'm sorry, sir, but, reconsidering your offer, I'm afraid I will have to decline it. I'm going on a trip to very distant lands, but if magic is involved in the contract, I would still be charged with your debt in case you don't pay. It's nothing personal, but I wouldn't risk my name for a stranger. I hope you can find somebody to help you.

Then leave this bank and go to the one where Scott is supposed to be, ignoring any kind of proposal or explanation from the man. Follow the way the lady told him.

((Damn, I thought it would have been something that didn't require a compromise))

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4878 on: May 24, 2013, 11:29:03 am »

Kevin contemplates asking the captain of the ship of where the monsters are for a moment, only to realize that his vocal cords are still missing, and won't be back for a long time. He instead chooses to repeat his clam-smashing experiment, only this time on the big clam.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4879 on: May 24, 2013, 11:30:42 am »

((So, um. How does this cold storage thingy work?
I'm back now. I apologize for the whole disappearing thing. :-X))
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4880 on: May 24, 2013, 12:04:12 pm »

((So, um. How does this cold storage thingy work?
I'm back now. I apologize for the whole disappearing thing. :-X))

Cold Storage is primarily for my convenience - I put players who don't post anymore in it. When they post, they are removed and I once again count them in the number of players. This means that more people need to die horribly for new players to get in.

Welcome back.

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4881 on: May 24, 2013, 12:35:00 pm »

Whilst taking the two to the ship, Scott will ask how to construct a brain pan.
"That which does not kill me, can only make me stranger." -Dana, Creator of Ozzy & Millie.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #4882 on: May 24, 2013, 12:36:15 pm »

Morton watches Kevin get his smash on with the giant clam on the bones, before looking at the new arrivals. Ah, tree guy and Niklas. What was tree guy's name again? ...He couldn't recall. Tree guy seems to be missing an arm though. "Excuse me sir, but what happened to your arm? Did you manage to find the creatures talked about?"

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4883 on: May 24, 2013, 01:17:20 pm »

"Well... I guess."

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #4884 on: May 24, 2013, 03:24:43 pm »

The clams are the creatures, then? Dissapointing, though tasty.
Shall we bring one of them up?
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4885 on: May 24, 2013, 03:39:55 pm »

"Truly? That's a bit... Like good luck actually. Its nice to have things go easy for once." Morton comments, looking at the huge one. "How about this one, chef Niklas? After Kevin's had his way with it, of course. I'm sure you can make a mean dish out of it."

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4886 on: May 24, 2013, 03:43:27 pm »

Sure, why not.
Niklas turns to the cat.
Well, cat, you survived this, as notdangerous as it was. I'll not cook you. Instead I will train you in the ways of killing.

Pet cat while watching Kevin go at the big clam. Intervened if it attacks him, but otherwise just wait for him to stop.
Sig! Onol

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4887 on: May 24, 2013, 04:06:33 pm »

In the lobby of the de Jong and Associates Bank...

Sigmund, getting the feeling that vouching for someone probably has hideous magical repercussions of some kind, tries to get out of the thing he agreed to do moments ago.

"I'm sorry, sir, but, reconsidering your offer, I'm afraid I will have to decline it. I'm going on a trip to very distant lands, but if magic is involved in the contract, I would still be charged with your debt in case you don't pay. It's nothing personal, but I wouldn't risk my name for a stranger. I hope you can find somebody to help you."

"But there's no magic! You just sign on a line and give your word that I'm good for a loan!"

Sigmund, however, has none of it. He ignores the man, turns around and leaves. However, the man keeps following him.

"Come on, man! I need the loan badly! I could lose my house! Please, help me! I'm beggin' ya! I own a business in town, I'm really good for the loan! And it's not like they'll extract payment from ya if ya aren't around!"

Hm. He could lead this guy all the way to Gerfluski and Sons. But this certainly is getting annoying.

In the cargo hold of the shrieking ship of Shriekpot...

Kevin considers asking the captain of the ship about the whereabouts of the Things Below. Then he realizes that it would be pretty awkward to ask without any vocal folds to speak of. Oh well. Better resumes the relentless whacking of clams. He sets upon the large, splotchy clam and starts to discipline it with his rubber oar.

[Smashing roll: 5]

He decides to flip the oar sideways in order to maximize the force put into the blow into one point! Surprisingly, it works rather great, as the shell is thoroughly cracked and some of the pieces fall into it.

Disappointingly, no carnage results. All is quiet on the exploratory front.

Morton, stricken with the lack of potentially productive activity, goes for a chat while observing the unusually successful clam-smashing. Sadly, he chooses Mark the Speechless Tree-Fiend as his target this time.

"Excuse me, sir, but what happened to your arm? Did you manage to find the creatures talked about?"

Mark doesn't look like he's ready to talk about it yet, though. How sad. What's even more sad is that there really don't seem to be any other creatures than the clams. Or at least that's Niklas' opinion. But he remains an optimist at heart. When life gives you corpses, you make delicious goulash.

"The clams are the creatures, then? Disappointing, though tasty. Shall we bring one of them up?"

Morton has a bit more of a positive view of things.

"Truly? That's a bit... like good luck, actually. It's nice to have things go easy for once. How about this one, chef Niklas? After Kevin's had his way with it, of course. I'm sure you can make a mean dish out of it."

Niklas pets his cat, whose acceptance is cold and absolute.

"Sure, why not. Well, cat, you survived this, as notdangerous as it was. I'll not cook you. Instead I will train you in the ways of killing."

Suddenly the group hears a voice from the entrance to the cargo hold.

"We are leaving. The magic ship apparently exists. We are riding on it. Follow quickly."

Looking over at the source, some of the group notice the head of Evelyn poking out of the open door to the hold momentarily before it disappears.

In the captain's quarters of the shrieking ship of Shriekpot...

Scott figures he can get this whole brain-pan thing out of the way while walking to the ship. Time's a-wastin', after all. He gestures at Erin and Evelyn, beckoning them to come with him.

"Wait, wait, wait. We can't leave our buddies down there without any directions!"

"Yes. That would be inconsiderate. I will tell them."

Evelyn heads down below decks, coming back about a minute later.

"We may go. Slowly."

And they set off, not in a particular rush.

"So, how do I construct a brain-pan?"

"Well, ya see, there's two ways. Ya can either try to duplicate an organic system, which is difficult due to needing to understand how brains work, which nobody entirely does, or try to make it all mechanical and whatnot with algorithmic decisions or some such. Mechanical is easier, but the creation can't think new thoughts or properly adapt most of the time. Organic is pretty hard, and nobody can do it perfectly, at least not transmuters, but ya get such beautiful results sometimes. Makes ya happy ya took Neural Engineering at the University and looked at mental brain-pictures a lot."

Erin looks a bit wistful as she seems to return to a different time in her mind.

Back in Emlocke...

Since the armored lady business is done with, Darren sees no reason to stick around.

"Well... I guess."

"Very good. Let's go. Not far."

The dog leads both Darren and the whip man back to the square. It points toward a rather luxurious house over a pit. Oh, hey, that's the house the tree-head fell out of. And then he fell into the pit as the ground disappeared under his feet. There are about ten straight meters of bottomless pit between the house and the gang.

"That house. Last one. Mage there. Any ideas?"

It looks at the whip man, who appears to be lost in thought, then at Darren.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4888 on: May 24, 2013, 04:10:03 pm »

Someone help me carry this.

Pick up large clam. Carry out of hold.
Go to magical ship.
Sig! Onol

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4889 on: May 24, 2013, 04:58:22 pm »

"Alright, on three chef Niklas." Morton grabs one end of the large clam, beckoning for Niklas to grab the other. When he complies, he counts. "One... Two... Three." He helps Niklas heft the clam on three.
Pages: 1 ... 324 325 [326] 327 328 ... 719