Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Reddit was down. Now We Hate That Smug Alien Thing.  (Read 6294 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Reddit is down. Hold me!
« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2012, 06:55:08 pm »

So what is a hugbox in the first place?

And how close are these forums to becomiiing one???
Get about a few hundred thousand haspens posting nothing but *HUGGGGGSSSSS, and you're getting close.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2012, 07:04:22 pm »

Sounds like my kind of place :P
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2012, 07:07:46 pm »

quite abrasive to conservative leaning folk.
You've got the definition of hugbox almost perfectly backwards.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2012, 07:10:16 pm »

So what, a hugbox would be accepting them regardless of their differences of opinion?
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2012, 07:31:04 pm »

Yeah.  Are there neo-Nazis and misogynists in every debate thread in spite of it being a forum about some old game?  Probably a hugbox.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2012, 07:55:26 pm »

Sounds like my kind of place, tbh. Unless those views go unchallenged, of course. The challenging should be on logical, respectful terms. Otherwise we have an echo chamber created by the opposite effect; weak personalities are removed from the debate simply because they cannot deal with the rampant jackassery. Note that making someone leave in disgust does not "win" you an internet debate.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 22, 2012, 07:57:47 pm »

The very point is that their views go unchallenged. Hugboxes do not pose a challenge to anyone, it just makes them feel good about themselves eternally. Hugbox policies are part of why, for example, TvTropes is in such a bad place. Slightly better following FastEddie's rampage, but still pretty bad.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 22, 2012, 08:05:17 pm »

I'm fine with challenging views, but you can't tell me that a place where your average debate is about as pleasant as rubbing your face with sandpaper is a superior situation. I do not like a "hugbox" as you define it, because I feel any view should be open to criticism. I do not like the opposite extreme either, where any sort of criticism is deemed somehow valid, even if it's ad hominem and association fallacies. I can point you to a couple places on this forum where the latter exists. I can't really point to any hugboxes, though (certainly not the upper forums, as there's stupid drama about how to properly play the game and bullshit like that something like every week).

I like places like the life advice forum here, because while people can still post stupid stuff, it'll be challenged or ignored. They're not stopped from posting stupid stuff. People aren't stopped from challenging it.

Well that's enough of a derail and soapboxing from me, I suppose. Unless someone wants to challenge my view :P

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 23, 2012, 02:29:41 am »

Pretty much.

And he knows that I hate it :V

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 23, 2012, 06:55:19 am »

Reddit was down? Good it would have been a travesty if people couldn't have seen r/PicsOfDeadKids or r/JailBait.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 23, 2012, 09:06:44 am »

Personally I will stick with 4chan, but if I had a choice between Reddit and 9gag and I had to pick one I probably would pick Reddit.

Reddit was down? Good it would have been a travesty if people couldn't have seen r/PicsOfDeadKids or r/JailBait.
Honestly, I am seriously hoping that Reddit doesn't have a jailbait board. It would give me more of a reason to stick to 4chan.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 23, 2012, 11:27:55 am »

I think it finally went down for good in the most recent purge, along with /r/creepshots.  Not to say that there aren't similarly named subreddits serving the same purposes.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 23, 2012, 11:33:13 am »

I'm not at all willing to check, but I'm pretty sure /r/creepshots is still around. /r/jailbait has been gone for several months now.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 23, 2012, 11:53:52 am »

Creepshot is still going, although there's been controversy. Not that they care.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 23, 2012, 02:15:56 pm »

You must remember there are many quality subreddits too; like /r/askhistorians or /r/talesfromtechsupport.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6