Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: The recent economic story of Zimbabwe  (Read 7206 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: The recent economic story of Zimbabwe
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2012, 10:38:18 pm »

Why, it even has a picture demonstrating its approximate worth on it.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2012, 10:39:08 pm »

Rocks have more use.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2012, 10:41:43 pm »

For a second I was going to ask if you could burn a rock, but then I realized you can, in fact, put a rock out in sunlight for a while and then warm yourself or cook things with it. So, uh. Yeah, the rock's more useful in like all counts.

Though I guess you couldn't make makeshift smoking-things out of a rock... wait, no. Pipes, right.

Man, why do we use paper again?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2012, 10:43:18 pm »

You can also demonstrate your displeasure to your highly corrupt autocratic government for hyperinflating the currency to uselessness with rocks, so its even situationally appropriate.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2012, 10:44:38 pm »

Man, why do we use paper again?
It isn't quite as heavy.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2012, 11:14:25 pm »

And arguably, the hyperinflation situation isn't the worse economic decision Zimbabwe has made.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2012, 11:18:58 pm »

There is precedent for using rocks as currency.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2012, 11:29:07 pm »

Ancient Armenia?
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2012, 11:58:14 pm »

I want an armenian rock. I'll take a little plaque and stick it on a desk somewhere and confuse the hell out of people.

Because the plaque will say "This rock is worth $200 trillion".

But it won't say Zimbabwe dollars.

Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2012, 02:58:46 am »

I've always wondered how people live in that situation. How do you go on knowing that the formal currency is useless? Do you go back to the barter system? Does everyone using silver or tobacco as a currency? Does everyone just stop working government jobs?
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2012, 03:25:12 am »

Obviously the people who are really getting rich are the Bank Note Designers.

Snowblind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2012, 04:16:29 am »

It's bigoted to condemn them, they have been victims of colonialism and imperialists who've robbed them of everything, they cast out their white imperialist oppressors and have started from square one trying to recover everything that was taken from them.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2012, 04:53:52 am »

I've always wondered how people live in that situation. How do you go on knowing that the formal currency is useless? Do you go back to the barter system? Does everyone using silver or tobacco as a currency? Does everyone just stop working government jobs?
Stable foreign currencies (usually the US dollar) are a common substitute. Other than that, no idea.

It's bigoted to condemn them, they have been victims of colonialism and imperialists who've robbed them of everything, they cast out their white imperialist oppressors and have started from square one trying to recover everything that was taken from them.
It's not "bigoted" to discuss how printing currency at will destroyed the economy. Please stop using whatever words you think will make your target sound bad.

Beyond that, imperialism's got nothing to do with this, other than as a scapegoat for the jackasses pulling this off. The current, strongly anti-imperialist faction's been in power for decades, and almost everything that's gone wrong appears to be a result of their wanton incompetence and/or greed, not some mythical scars lingering from when they were a colony.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2012, 05:14:15 am »

And on that note I find it's pertinent to add I have one of these pinned to the corkboard above my desk.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2012, 07:03:33 am »

But.. no one is being condemned, other then the governing agency, which is responsible for the economic state of Zimbabwe. We didn't even bring up the Zimbabwe Land Reform here, we're talking purely on the economy, and driving out the 1% of land owners that owned 70% of the land has nothing to do with making the current government above criticism.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5