• View Profile
-
« on: October 12, 2012, 06:08:04 pm »

-
« Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 08:39:03 pm by IronTomato »

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I'm getting a new PC, advice please?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 06:13:14 pm »

God I haven't seen the llama thing in so long. sorry. What were we talking about?

Khorne

• Bay Watcher
  • The one and only Blood God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 06:18:10 pm »

I can't buy my own PC, because I have no money.  :-\
But, the parents asked me if I wanted one for christmas  :P

They asked me, "What are the specs on a computer that you'd like?

The specs on my current computer are terrible:

RAM: 512MB

Processor: Single-core, 600 megahertz...

Ugh. I can't say anymore. So, yeah. It has to go.

My ideal pc would be one that had Windows 7 (Not vista, vista sucks) 4gb of RAM, an NVidia graphics card, but I don't want to be greedy.

Are specs like this good for what I want? I want a pc that can efficiently play games like COD: MW3, Minecraft, Etc. I also want to run Unity and Blender efficiently, maybe at the same time.
Are you going to be building it? If so I'll gladly give you my rig's specs.
This is my signature. Notice how it is all clean and bloodless? Well a sacrifice of Men Women or Space Marines will help me put blood on this signature,
-Khrone 2013.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 06:20:07 pm »

I'm fourteen, I have no idea how to build a computer (but I will probably study it). I'm getting a prebuilt tower and monitor.

EDIT:
God I haven't seen the llama thing in so long. sorry. What were we talking about?
At least it isn't an arrow to the knee joke. XD
Ahaha..haha...hrm.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 06:23:36 pm by IronTomato »

Khorne

• Bay Watcher
  • The one and only Blood God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 06:25:03 pm »

I'm fourteen, I have no idea how to build a computer (but I will probably study it). I'm getting a prebuilt tower and monitor.

EDIT:
At least it isn't an arrow to the knee joke. XD
Ahaha..haha...hrm.
Well I don't know how to help you then. Search on Newegg for a PC that meets your requirements.
This is my signature. Notice how it is all clean and bloodless? Well a sacrifice of Men Women or Space Marines will help me put blood on this signature,
-Khrone 2013.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 06:27:59 pm »

Thanks! I forgot about newegg! (Kisses boot)

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2012, 09:59:42 pm »

I was aware that macs were overpriced, but I honestly wasn't aware that they cost so much...

Not to mention that our school uses macs, and they don't exactly perform well.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2012, 03:12:29 am »

I can only give you the following suggestions:
Don't buy a laptop if you want to do heavy gaming. Buy a good Tower-Case and live with it.
If you buy a 64 bit operative system, there's no need to go above the 4? 6? giga of rams, since they won't be able to use more.
Renounce the idea of using SSD hard disks immediately, they cost and are worthless in the greater wheel of things (that is gaming, if you want fast retrieval of system boot and so on, by all accounts, go for it, but it's costly and means little. Two Terabytes of normal or 256 gigabytes of SSD have the same price, to say)
Cooling, alway take care to get a good cooling system...
for Video cards, Dedicated memory first and foremost. That said the choice is usually either Nvidia or Ati.
Now with Nvidia, you can play far more easily at games like Unreal Tournament, Empire Earth three, and so on (they've got that physx thing attached to it) ATi can do the same, but it requires more effort on the video card, since it 'converts' something into something else (Can't recall for the love of myself what in what though)
Ati are seemingly cheaper and have the Crossfire option (Meaning you can buy two identical videocards, 'bundle' them together, and have a better experience)
For the operative system, once the architecture is 64 Bit...well, consider you could...'cut' off a large chunk of money if...say...AHOY!
*coughs*

Well, that's all.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2012, 12:24:57 pm »

windows vista and 7 utilize that extra ram for cache purposes. for the SSD issue i would recommend just getting a 80gb just for your OS and have a terabyte drive for all your other crap, keeps the cost down at most. ATI/AMD don't have a physx option as thats proprietary software for nvidia, theres a cpu option but as usual its slower but in reality it doesn't make much a difference (tessellation is where its at now).

So what is the price range cause i can refer something for about around 1000 bucks for what you are asking.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2012, 02:39:16 am »

If you buy a 64 bit operative system, there's no need to go above the 4? 6? giga of rams, since they won't be able to use more.
You mean unless? I know 32 bit systems are limited to 4GB of ram.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2012, 03:54:44 am »

32 bit systems are limited to: (assuming Windows 7 x64 and no /3GB switch because it tends to break graphics drivers)
2 GB of memory per program
4 GB of total system address space
of which about 3 - 3.5 GB will be ram

Windows 7 x64 is limited to: (assuming a modern 64-bit cpu)
256 TB of memory per program (if 64-bit)
4 GB of memory per program (if 32-bit and Large Address Aware)
2 GB of memory per program (if 32-bit and not LAA)
4 PB of total system address space
of which up to around 32 GB is normally supported as ram, depending on the motherboard
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2012, 02:51:37 pm »

256 TB of memory
Holy crap! I thought 64 bit systems were limited to 32 GB of RAM, and that is a lot. 256000 GB is ridiculous.

bluejello

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2012, 01:19:32 pm »

well, my lenovo T420 laptop with the intel HD 3000 and core I5 can run minecraft well enough to be playable, so you can use that info as a bare minimum for the computer you want.
Will edit this post when I find a DIY build kit on newegg, and any extras you may require.

this looks good, at 480$ for a duo core i3 and all the needed interials including a nice looking video card. however without a OS so for windows 7 home premium (cheapest version for consumers) that would add 130$ according to the microsoft website, so a total of 610$ for this system. Assuming you will use your own monitor and keyboard/mouse.  You may need to get a new keyboard/mouse if they are PS/2 and not USB but shouldn't cost that much.

Others, feel free to pick this apart if you want. 
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 01:49:23 pm by bluejello »

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2012, 05:27:28 pm »

that 650 sucks :/ upgrade it to the Ti version you'll thank me later.

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2012, 06:05:14 pm »

I am also looking for a computer, I have price range of about $400 dollars.
I for one support our child snatching overlords.
there is a difference between droping red numbers representing magma on Es representing elves, and finding it hot when a girl moans like a retarded seal