Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Danger room breaking limps  (Read 1930 times)

ninjabear53

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Danger room breaking limps
« on: October 12, 2012, 08:20:07 am »

I tried my first danger room yesterday and long bone breaking story short it didn't work. i was wondering why? it was a 1x3 with a door. i linked it to a lever like was told and set a dwarf in there he was in full copper armor and ready to do his part. i started the lever and low and behold the wooden menacing sticks started breaking his legs threw his armor and smeared his blood on the walls. was it the armor? most i see talk about danger rooms have steal but all my place has is copper. he didn't even try to dodge witch i though was pretty funny. can i get some help please what am i doing wrong?

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Danger room breaking limps
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 08:21:08 am »

You're supposed to use wooden training weapons, not actual trap components I think. Even wood trap parts can kill, or at least, maim and injure. Then kill.

Laserhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 08:22:28 am »

Use wooden training spears. They are thin and light and will just whack your guys on the butt until they learn to block. Menacing wooden spikes are different, big and thick and will menace them quite adequately even if they have armor on.

ninjabear53

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 08:34:30 am »

lol i was wondering if it was to use something with menacing in the name. thanks a lot i will try it again.

mscantrell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 09:50:06 am »

Also, watch out for the difference between a wooden spear and a wooden training spear.

Wooden spear will kill your dwarves dead, too. And it's easy to miss it in a list like this:

-fungiwood training spear-
*alder training spear*
*larch training spear*
-fungiwood spear-
-cedar training spear-
*cedar training spear*

See that lethal one there, third from the bottom? Dead dwarves.
MSCantrell cancels Work:  Interrupted by Bay12 forums.

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 10:13:28 am »

Although, throwing in the occasional wooden spear is something I do to balance the danger room and train doctors.
I regret to inform the community that the mass murder of puppies does not create a viable clock.
I don't know if you need other ideas when you have magma.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2012, 10:25:04 am »

Although, throwing in the occasional wooden spear is something I do to balance the danger room and train doctors.

To be frank, the only way to balance them is to not use them. Or just use lethal weapons instead, then it's REALLY dangerous!

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2012, 10:53:13 am »

I get a 20-25% mortality rate. I suppose I could add more real spears and bump up the mortality rate, but it works for me.
I regret to inform the community that the mass murder of puppies does not create a viable clock.
I don't know if you need other ideas when you have magma.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2012, 10:53:34 am »

To be frank, the only way to balance them is to not use them. Or just use lethal weapons instead, then it's REALLY dangerous!

Or instead of using lethal weapons, you could use lethal weapons, like Varnifane JUST SAID, and then it would be REALLY dangerous.

You see, that's kind of the point of this post: non training weapons, even wooden ones, are LETHAL. Oh, only one in one hundred hits are incapacitating? Yeah, it's a danger room. Everyone's gonna get hit hundreds of times. Lethal. And if soldiers are getting injured and going to the doctor, they aren't training. That evens out the skill gain.

The only way YOU know how to balance them is to not use them, don't put your limitations onto other people who might not be as limited in their imagination as you are.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2012, 12:00:14 pm »

Or instead of using lethal weapons, you could use lethal weapons, like Varnifane JUST SAID, and then it would be REALLY dangerous.

You see, that's kind of the point of this post: non training weapons, even wooden ones, are LETHAL. Oh, only one in one hundred hits are incapacitating? Yeah, it's a danger room. Everyone's gonna get hit hundreds of times. Lethal. And if soldiers are getting injured and going to the doctor, they aren't training. That evens out the skill gain.

The only way YOU know how to balance them is to not use them, don't put your limitations onto other people who might not be as limited in their imagination as you are.

I'm not sure a room full of pointy sticks is fairly 'imaginative'. Maybe if it involved magma and water, and something... else. Pointy sticks are fairly tame.

Foamybeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KEK in all things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2012, 12:09:30 pm »

You could always use Featherwood Training spears. Too weak to hurt anyone.
Dwarf Fortress Immortality: Cask of Amontillado-ing all your dwarves.
I'm trying to figure out how creeping eyes vomit despite not having a mouth.

ExecratedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2012, 03:27:08 pm »

I use danger rooms. They are quite unbalanced no matter what you do. Even if you can ensure 75% lethality you still get 2.5 elite dwarves for every ten you put in. And with ten spears per trap it only takes a couple minutes to get two nearly invulnerable dwarves and a legendary crutch-walker. But I see them not as a cheat, but rather an imaginative use of the in-game physics. It's your choice whether you want to use them, nerf them, or pretend like they don't exist.

Seraphim342

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma Cum Laude
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2012, 05:03:11 pm »

I prefer to think of them as those lever-controlled dummies you see in ninja movies. 

There's actually some truth in television there, as the romans used wooden training dummies similar to that.  For example, if you hit the one arm, the other arm would swing around and you'd have to block or dodge it to keep from getting hit in the face.  Knights used almost the same thing for jousting training.  You'd hit the shield on once side with your lance, and if you weren't fast enough or ready with your own shield, a swinging wooden ball on the other side would clock you. 

If you really want to "balance" danger rooms, just make them operate slower.  Hook them up to a dwarven repeater with a time delay in between instead of just setting "Pull the lever!!!!" to repeat while Urist McClockCircuit pulls it over and over.
I like to think that on the other side of the world a human is walking on the beach, notices the water level suddenly drop twenty feet, and whispers "fucking dwarves."

"The cows seem to lose bowel control when launched... I consider this a feature."

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2012, 05:10:42 pm »

I just keep danger rooms around in case the millitary is wiped out suddenly and I need replacements fast.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2012, 05:17:28 pm »

Just to note that the way that I get my Danger Rooms balanced enough for my personal liking is that I absolutely insist that they be constructed of same_quality+same_material components, at every level[1] of component and structure.  By doing this, I have found that I've never completed a Danger Room to the point at which I've actually activated it!

[1] As I do with loads of other aspects of my fortress.  It's not a particularly Danger Room aim, but Danger Rooms seem to suffer more (i.e. always) from non-completion through this policy. ;)
Pages: [1] 2