Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 36

Author Topic: Roll to Raptor: Turn 31 - Where the Buffalo Roam  (Read 68511 times)

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Velociraptor - Turn 4: Oviraptorosauria are yummy
« Reply #90 on: October 16, 2012, 04:02:19 pm »

PTW. Please put me on the waiting list. This looks brilliant.
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Raptor - Turn 4: Oviraptorosauria are yummy
« Reply #91 on: October 16, 2012, 05:19:56 pm »

Keep following Charlie, keeping an eye out for anything suspicious.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 16, 2012, 06:56:21 pm »

Follow the trail, stealthily.  Quietly ask the rest of the pack to sneak as well.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 17, 2012, 07:07:44 pm »

Action: Keep up with Hooktoe and watch out for danger
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
Re: Roll to Raptor - Turn 6: Chasing The Baby Snatchers
« Reply #94 on: October 17, 2012, 11:07:48 pm »

Hooktoe sniffed and looked around for the trail Charlie was following. Once he caught wind of it, he jogged along it in an attempt to catch up to the snatchers.

You and the others catch up to Charlie and he tells what he saw. (6) You instantly get the scent of the Snatchers, there are hints of blood too. The occasional crushed fern and snapped branch only makes the trail clearer.

You continue trotting forward after the Snatchers, coming to a clearing about 250 yards long. The trail goes straight through it but the Snatchers are not in sight. They still aren't when you get to the tree line at the other side. But you still have the trail to follow. You want to run but Strider tells you to slow down and you reluctantly obey.

[Party is together again.]
((Yes they are. :P))

What did I miss? Moonfang said as she caught up with the rest. She figured that the rest of the pack wouldn't need her, and the addition of another hunter would provide a better benefit to the rest.Those thieves are going to pay for the chicks.

Lag behind the leader of the hunting party, ready to pounce on anything wanting to attack us, or on the first target spotted by the rest.

You and the others catch up to Charlie and he tells you about the Snatchers he saw running off to the East. You drop to the rear of the band, keeping a sharp lookout. (6) You don't see anything important.

Keep following Charlie, keeping an eye out for anything suspicious.

You let the others go first, which is just as well. (2) You can't detect the scent trail he's following anyway. The whole world smells like Snatcher blood.  You aren't quite sure why and rub your nose in annoyance. (Cunning 2+1) Oh look snatcher blood came off on your paw.

Follow the trail, stealthily.  Quietly ask the rest of the pack to sneak as well.

The others trot up from behind, and you tell them what you saw. You tell the others but take it easy and not rush but most of them don't listen and hurry ahead. Grumbling in annoyance you trot after them.

Action: Keep up with Hooktoe and watch out for danger

Like the others you hoped to catch up to the Snatchers quickly. However you come to the edge of a large clearing which allows you to see about 250 yards head and they are still not in sight. (Cunning 6+1) It occurs to you that many Snatchers are faster than you, and these ones have a lead. You could try running, but you still might not be able to catch them. Worse you might lose the trail in your haste. You tell everyone to keep to a steady trot, a pace you can keep up for hours.

Quote from: Tepin(NPC)
Follow Trail. Onward to revenge!

The hunting party seems to accept your presence contentedly, not bothering to ask why you're there. Oh well it must be pretty obvious. You eagerly trot on for a while following the trail. (4+1) It's quite clear to you.

ALL:
The party trots along, through a large clearing, and then back into the woods, covering about half a mile in a East-NE direction. This is still familiar ground to many of you. Up ahead you know are low wooded hills with areas of grass in the valleys between them.  Hooktoe, Moonfang and Tepin catch new scents on the wind and chirp an alert that there are herbivores ahead, perhaps Sauropelta and Tenontosaurus. These areas of low vegetation are favored paths and grazing areas for larger animals. Your tribe has hunted here many times in the past.

You all sneak the the tree line and look into the clearing. In the distance you can see the land rising dramatically. The spoor of the Snatchers continues vaguely Eastward in that direction.

About 100 yards to the East in the grass there are a pair of Sauropelta. They are facing away from you at the moment, and probably haven't noticed you since the wind is toward you.

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: View (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Sauropelta (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Tenontosaurus (click to show/hide)

Situation At A Glance:

Everyone trots along following the trail Eastward.
You can see a pair of Sauropelta ahead of you.
You think there might be some Tenontosaurus ahead too.
Tepin [NPC] is following you.

It is very early morning.
The Breeze Shifts slightly to East-NE.

No one is hurt.
Everyone is Well Fed, Except Charlie and Tepin who are Slightly Hungry.
Everyone is Fairly Well Rested.

((Long post is long! o_O))
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 11:36:29 pm by Joben »
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

My RTD games: Roll To Raptor (On hold), Dino Arena

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Raptor - Turn 6: Chasing the Baby Snatchers
« Reply #95 on: October 17, 2012, 11:28:12 pm »

Hmmm. Interesting. Let's see what the pack does now...
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 17, 2012, 11:38:44 pm »

Hmmm. Interesting. Let's see what the pack does now...
((We Party. take them apart. :3))

Moonfang sniffed the air once more, before taking in the fact of the wind and the many other herbivores about.

Strider, I think with the winds, we may be able to strike at those Snatchers while evading those other biggy-types. Should we continue the chase or go on with our hunt?

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #97 on: October 18, 2012, 12:32:44 am »

Strider, I think with the winds, we may be able to strike at those Snatchers while evading those other biggy-types. Should we continue the chase or go on with our hunt?

Tepin growls slightly when you ask if you should leave the chase and hunt something else.

"I am here to avenge my two offspring. I will go even if you will not help. But if meat and blood are what you want, I believe you will find it in plenty at the end of this noble hunt."

His gruff plea made he seems to hunch over dejectedly. He crouches by a rotten log and starts tearing at it. Possibly out of frustration but (Forage: Sense 4+1) he finds a fat grub and eats it, but it isn't very filling.

((Guys I have an RP question for you: Lets say you find a Snatcher nest with babies and eggs, and some characters want to slaughter them all. Would that be Squick for anyone? This setting and PC species has less moral baggage that most...but there are reasons child creatures are left out of a lot of games...))
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 18, 2012, 12:36:26 am »

I don't have a character, so I'm just gonna post it.

I don't think it should be too squicky, as these are (Player controlled, true) animals we're talking about here. Animals slaughter young all the time in the wild. As long as you don't go deep into detail describing the youngling death, it wouldn't be offensive to me at least.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 18, 2012, 12:44:02 am »

((Guys I have an RP question for you: Lets say you find a Snatcher nest with babies and eggs, and some characters want to slaughter them all. Would that be Squick for anyone? This setting and PC species has less moral baggage that most...but there are reasons child creatures are left out of a lot of games...))
((Leave the horror and shock to us, don't say what exactly we're seeing. Perhaps a 'gruesome scene' and presence of blood...

Because if left vague, would help loads to the imagination. If we're to get the young however...))

I just hope they're safe, is all...

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 18, 2012, 02:14:45 am »

(I'm pretty sure that if you've read the D-22 thread then you know about my love of violent horror movies/games, so I don't doubt you already know my answer to that one. And Tiruin at least knows that I care not one whit for the fate of potentially hostile or obstructing NPCs. :P Seriously though, it's not real life. Some of the things I love in horror fiction I'd be appalled at if they happened in the real world.)

~I'll help ya out. We gotta stick together and I think it'd be funny if the kids ate the Snatchers,~ Hooktoe whistled, somehow displaying the capacity for irony. He motioned with his head toward the trail, indicating that he was going to keep chasing their quarry. He then continued down the trail at a normal pace while trying to skirt around the Sauropelta and the Tenontosaurus.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 02:18:31 am by SeriousConcentrate »
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 18, 2012, 06:27:01 am »

I don't think it should be too squicky, as these are (Player controlled, true) animals we're talking about here. Animals slaughter young all the time in the wild. As long as you don't go deep into detail describing the youngling death, it wouldn't be offensive to me at least.
Agreed.

"What the... ah, I see.
While following, locate some kind of leaf or something to wipe the blood off with so I can smell again.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 18, 2012, 07:05:10 am »

Wait if the others attack.  If they do, attack as well, from a different angle, to cut off escape.  If they dont attack...wait and see what happens next.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 18, 2012, 07:24:05 am »

Moonfang looked back, mostly to see how far they were from the main pack before whistling a reply.

Alright, I'm staying with you all. We've got to see them pay anyway.

It'll be some kind of comedic vengeance, if I know my table manners right.

Follow Strider's plan. If possible, be the center of attraction in the attack to draw fire from the rest.

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #104 on: October 18, 2012, 10:07:06 am »

((This was more or less my take. If it were humans or fully sapient creatures it would make me uncomfortable, but carnivores eating semi-intelligent critters is another matter. But I've heard of prisoner disposal arguments grinding RPGs to a halt so I figured I'd open it up to discussion.

I probably won't specifically avoid younglings being in danger. And none of their deaths will be more graphic than you'd see on National Geographic.))

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 36