Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10

Author Topic: Star Citizen- epic space sim from creator of WingCommander  (Read 23319 times)

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Star Citizen- epic space sim from creator of WingCommander
« Reply #105 on: March 19, 2015, 07:28:00 am »

I really wonder if they manage to make working gameplay out of this. Most games that attempted anything resembling this scale have frankly utterly failed. The "multiple types of gameplay" games tend to deliver sub-par on each individual element.

Also: the amount of money for those ships is disgusting.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 07:37:54 am by Antioch »
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

lijacote

• Bay Watcher
  • Lissasa
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 19, 2015, 09:22:27 am »

I've been a simmer for years, I'm honestly surprised women polled higher than 1%.

Based on my prior experience I would've said the typical ratio is 200:1.

So only makes sense they appeal to their target audience, I'm assuming in MP you'll be able to choose between a male or female pilot like in Elite - only difference that ends up making though is when I look down using my TrackIR I have my vision obscured by chest meats, no one else can see this (and you can't change the setting without deleting your pilot, obviously FD discriminates against Transgenders or something...)
Women aren't a part of the target audience, is what you're implicitly saying. Women don't need to see women in the far future, and neither do men, I suppose, not to even mention trans-issues.
Me miserable! which way shall I fly
Infinite wrath, and infinite despair?
Which way I fly is Hell; myself am Hell;
And, in the lowest deep, a lower deep
Still threatening to devour me opens wide,
To which the Hell I suffer seems a Heaven.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 19, 2015, 12:44:13 pm »

Women don't consume product marketed towards men, therefore they aren't part of the target audience, therefore let's not market the product towards them...?

Did I get it right?

Ai Shizuka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 19, 2015, 01:18:03 pm »

I went into super-hype mode about this game in summer 2013 and bought a constellation, a starfarer and something else I don't remember (a fighter).
But it's taking so damn long, wich is a good thing.
In the meantime I'm growing increasingly disgusted with the entire mmo genre and rapidly lost interest about star citizen.
So in winter 2014 I sold all my LTI ships, with a net gain of about 200€.

It's cool to see them breaking all sort of records.
It sounds very promising.
And it's Chris Roberts after all.

But I'm way beyond feeling hyped about a videogame. I'll try it as soon as it comes out, expecting to be severely disappointed.
If they manage to deliver all the promises, it will be the game of the century.
But not until I see it in action.
Too many mmo trainwrecks in the last few years.

lijacote

• Bay Watcher
  • Lissasa
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 19, 2015, 01:20:08 pm »

Women don't consume product marketed towards men, therefore they aren't part of the target audience, therefore let's not market the product towards them...?

Did I get it right?
Exactly. Makes perfect sense, right!??! :P

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #110 on: March 19, 2015, 01:21:38 pm »

I have a friend who is superhyped about this and can't stop talking about it. He has a super strict budget and barely has money to make his car payments but somehow has sunk over $1000 into this game's fake spaceships.

I don't get it. The hype is real. Chris Roberts has created the ultimate cash vacuum. No product necessary.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 19, 2015, 01:27:38 pm »

I wonder if it's possible with crowdfunding now for some projects to actually make less money once they ship a product, compared to keeping it in eternal development?

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 19, 2015, 01:43:58 pm »

Why would anyone pay 1000 dollar for a spaceship in a game that won't be released for years and is basically still in the concept phase.

WHY.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #113 on: March 19, 2015, 01:52:06 pm »

Why would anyone pay 1000 dollar for a spaceship in a game that won't be released for years and is basically still in the concept phase.

WHY.
Multiple purchases of fake ships over time, not all at once, but yeah. It just blows my mind.

I will probably try the game out but I see no reason to buy it or play it now, and no reason to pay for fake spaceships. He keeps trying to get me to play but as far as I understand the only thing working at this time is a sort of fighter deathmatch mode and a survival PVE mode. Neither of those things appeal to me.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 19, 2015, 01:59:51 pm »

Seems crazy to pre-purchase ships before anyone even has a strategy guide out saying which ships are best.

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 19, 2015, 03:22:03 pm »

What scare me most is the message this is sending to all the greedy game developer out there.

Defacto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 19, 2015, 03:33:40 pm »

What scare me most is the message this is sending to all the greedy game developer out there.

Build trust, be the good guy. Be the one that changes the market, the ones that makes the Best Damn *insert genre name* Game Ever. When you've become that, you engage the money vacuums.

What happens if you release a crappy game? It's not like anyone can sue you for releasing a game that was more boring than you expected. Of course, that isn't going to happen, because this one doesn't just care about money, for this one and their entire staff, it is a labor of love, and it will be great, completely world-shaking, when it gets released. When it gets released.

lijacote

• Bay Watcher
  • Lissasa
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 19, 2015, 03:56:51 pm »

It's probably been said to death, but you're not paying for a ship, you're contributing to the development and getting something out of it in return. You shouldn't pledge more than you have allowance for -- keep in mind that there are many very wealthy people in this world who wouldn't bat an eye at buying something "fake" for 1k USD/EUR.

Defacto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 19, 2015, 04:20:24 pm »

It's probably been said to death, but you're not paying for a ship, you're contributing to the development and getting something out of it in return. You shouldn't pledge more than you have allowance for -- keep in mind that there are many very wealthy people in this world who wouldn't bat an eye at buying something "fake" for 1k USD/EUR.

Uh, yes, I guess you could call it ''Contributing to the development'' too. It would certainly not be a lie.
I don't think anyone is trying to demean or patronize those who pledged for Star Citizen, but you do have to agree that the level this has been taken to is pretty silly.
I mean, some of these ships don't even have basic models, or even names! But that Roberts guy knows that if he offers, people will buy. I guess it's hard to give a good reason why he wouldn't offer all this.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 19, 2015, 05:16:45 pm »

That's really dumb. That's the exact same thing as saying "pre-order microtransactions today!"

After all, if you buy an item in any free to play game with money, you're just contributing to the game's development and getting something in return.
Playing an online shooter and they release a $40 OP gun that you buy? You're only just contributing to the shooter's development and getting something in return.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10