Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]

Author Topic: Gender and all it entails  (Read 22883 times)

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gender and all it entails
« Reply #180 on: October 15, 2012, 11:12:21 am »

I'm pretty sure its accepted that both "Nature" AND "Nurture" are a part of who we grow up to be, and now the arguement is on how much each influences, and not whether its one or the other
((No.  ER Lasers are tickle generators, and dispense hugs, loves, and puppies.))
The fedora guy has potentially lethal amounts of swag :v

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 15, 2012, 11:27:31 am »

I'm pretty sure its accepted that both "Nature" AND "Nurture" are a part of who we grow up to be, and now the arguement is on how much each influences, and not whether its one or the other

And then we throw in epigenetics into the mix and watch their arguments burn

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 15, 2012, 11:30:54 am »

@Kedly: you'd be surprised: There are definitely some die-hard nurture types still around. They still write books dismissing all biological evidence.

I think GoombaGreek was saying male lactation itself isn't a trait directly selected for, rather it's the byproduct of evolution of female lactation, so it's not an example of evolution.

Nipples are granted by the genes for nipples, a man lacking the genes for nipples will pass on this genetic deficit to his offspring, potentially creating females who can't nurse their young. Therefore male nipple genes (genotype) are definitely selected for, the male nipples themselves (phenotype) is not. Hell, having nipples on a female can't be shown to directly benefit the mother, their benefit is to the offspring.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 15, 2012, 11:37:19 am »

When it comes to genetics anything the mother/father does to ensure the survival of their offspring is a direct benefit to themselves. Its their genes they're investing in to continue their own lineage.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 15, 2012, 12:09:16 pm »

Besides, Male Lactation Man would be the worst Avenger.
My wooden badge was delicious.

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 15, 2012, 05:36:59 pm »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 02:47:38 pm by Ogdibus »

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 15, 2012, 06:02:42 pm »

Here's something interesting:

Quote from: StephenWhittle
"The perfect gender is not just male, it is white, it is tall and of slim build, it has money and political power, sexual choice, it is fertile but has control of that fertility, and it is probably American and called Bill Clinton."

I've turned the punch line into the hook, don't expect the document to be humorous in tone, (or an easy read).
I could be those things. I'm not Bill Clinton though.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 16, 2012, 03:55:52 am »

A while back there were a few people insisting that XY vs. XX chromosomes determines male versus female. I'd like that challenge that perception and point out it's a bit more complicated than that. Link includes some cool (but brief) information about genes which determine sexual phenotypes.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 16, 2012, 07:34:54 am »

When it comes to genetics anything the mother/father does to ensure the survival of their offspring is a direct benefit to themselves. Its their genes they're investing in to continue their own lineage.
On first reading (badly, I admit), I was assuming that you meant that this was investing in producing offspring that can end up supporting the parents (the continuing existence of the parents being the benefit), which didn't sound right to me.

First, I re-read it and think I now understood it for what you mean (basically "selfish gene", give or take, yes?), but then I also had a think about the whole "grandparents are beneficial to the grandchildren" aspect to (at least our) biology and inheritance.

It's considered a beneficial thing that those beyond reproductive age[1] are around to assist those that are in their prime to raise the next generation on to be raised.  Right now, I can't recall any animal-kingdom equivalents (closest I can think of is uncle/aunt assistance in meerkats and other social/pack creatures with alpha couples/non-universal parentage, some of whom may be senior in age), but I'm sure there's something there.  It is very much an extension of the nurturing parents (mammals, essentially by definition, but various non-mammals too), although that has alternatives like sacrificing parents (spiders and some octopuses, who give their body as 'first food' for their offspring) and the "you're on your own, in fact I might even end up eating you if necessary/accidentally" 'aparental' method is also rather successful in nature in producing numbers of offspring, albeit that needing independent offspring who are a much larger part instinct and chance and much less part learning and support in the striving for adulthood....

...anyway, back to grandparenting.  We know it happens in humans, and in turn a number of cultures have an inbuilt meme of "respect your elders".  Whether actually setting them in positions of power[2] or just "pre-chewing granny's steak for her".  Once there was a capability for a species' grandparentage to have a direct effect upon the survival of the grandoffspring, the genes (or memes, or whatever container term you'd like to use that may encompass the whole involved genomic, proteomic and informatic legacy mechanism) seem to have come up with a way to make use of this.

Now, of course, it's perhaps superseded by 'extelligence'[3].  Perhaps it's arguable that as long as academics produced books(/scrolls/whatever) for ease of assimilation of knowledge at any arbitrary later time, it was no longer necessary to directly revere and support their continued existence so as to orally pass on their hard-fought conclusions about the world.  Those shut within ivory towers aren't so obviously in need of support by the young, and perhaps the ones with the biggest stake in supporting (to an extent) the elders in the academic profession are the not-quite-so-elderly academics who of course may need (once Dead Man's Shoes kicks in, give or take a push and a visit by Inspector Morse) to be similarly supported in their own dotage, by the same system.  Translate this to other cultures as much as you like.  Priesthoods/shamanistic subcultures of all kinds do similar things.  The real exception is probably where the pinnacle is particularly pointy (being king, for example), with not much standing room, and the guy at the top having to be wary about the lower terraces are particularly crowded and eager to ascend to push him off.

..anyway, I think I'm going off on a fantastical diversion, once more.  Yeah, and what has all this to do with gender?  Not much.  Erm, except that insofar as sexuality (not actually gender, though influenced by gender-politics), uncles and aunts without offspring (and perhaps living with co-uncles and co-aunts, respectively!) are probably like a younger version of the  post-reproductive grandparents in their advantage to the continuation of their line.  But the evidence (and apparent refutations, and refutations of those refutations, etc) for this has been around for a couple of decades at least, and although I think nobody has yet questioned it in this thread (may have missed it), it could explain the evolutionary advantage of either the 'gay gene' or the 'gay meme', or whatever combination of nature/nurture produces such people, even when current and transient social norms are highly prejudiced against such products.

Sorry, hope I didn't spring something untoward upon anyone there, was just desperately trying to bring my unstructured ramblings back to somewhere close to where the thread was supposed to be.  Feel free to ignore me altogether, I suppose, if I've missed the colour of the conversation so drastically as I feel I may have.

[1] Nominally, that is.  A 17-year old mother of an (eventually) 17-year old mother could still become a (re)new(ed) mother at 36 or more, at the same time(/later than) the grandchild arrives.  Theoretically, great-grandchildren could be contemperaneous with a new child from the original mother, but obviously with at least two different possibilities of invoking social repulsion along the way.

[2] Albeit that, in patriarchal terms, being elderly does not remove you from providing to the gene-pool.  Especially if you're in a position of power.  c.f. the "Genghis Kahn" gene, found prolifically in populations across Asia and Europe through either his or his kinsfolk's profligacy during his time of conquest.

[3] This term directly ripped from Stewart and Cohen, mathematician and biologist, respectively, who have collaborated or self-authered a number of interesting works (not all to do with Discworld) in which they use this word as the "next level out" from "intelligence", to encompass the knowledge-load and mental capabilities available to source from outside the intelligent organisms' own mind and memories.  i.e. Books and (these days) the Internet.  So, for example, whilesoever one still has the capability of accessing an information source with the required knowledge, a novice yachtsman might yet still be able to acquire the ability to navigate by the stars, in an emergency, far beyond what he/she would be able to entirely through his own wits.  (Whether that be asking the severely injured but experienced skipper resting up belowdecks what to look out for, digging out a book from the sea-chest or using the (GPS-lacking, but still connecting) smartphone to extract the information he or she needs from some website or other.  (Assuming, for now, that the latter capability doesn't give any discernible usefulness in the "please come and find me" aspect to the "I don't want to be lost any more!" situation.)
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]