Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Starting out Archery and knife throwing.  (Read 3907 times)

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
Starting out Archery and knife throwing.
« on: October 08, 2012, 05:37:31 pm »

So I have recently started work and have some spare cash and decided to take up archery and knife throwing as hobbys.

I have read up on the laws about it all. But just wanting to know is there anything important I should know before carrying on?

Also throwing knifes seem to be really hard to get.

I had a look and ordered a set off this website: http://www.bladesandbows.co.uk/index.asp. I looked at it but not sure about it, I did place a order and  recently got email wating scan of ID before they will send set so I suppose if they want to make sure that person buying is 18 most likley is legit ( I am 18 ) anyone had experiance with this website?.

I have also been shopping around for Bows as well but not sure what to really buy to begin with.

Any help would be really appreciated.
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

rutsber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starting out Archery and knife throwing.
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 05:45:03 pm »

What type of bow do you want? There is compound, recurve, and traditional. Traditional is basically the same type of bow as a recurve, but the bow is made of wood or horn. I prefer traditional myself, but it can be more difficult than shooting a compound bow.
Gave me an idea. I'm gonna add the milkable tag to the male minotaur. MMMMmmm minotaur cheese.
A loud angry voice and instinct. "FUCK OFF URIST THIS TABLE IS MINE!"

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 05:47:20 pm »

I think I would prefer a more traditional bow. I'm not to keen on the compound bows.  What sort of draw should I be looking at ? 30lbs? And Do you know any good websites to buy from for bows ?

Khorne

• Bay Watcher
  • The one and only Blood God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 05:48:52 pm »

Be sure not to accidentally fling the knife backwards into your face eye etc. As not only will that hurt like hell, but it can and possibly will kill you. Keep that in mind.
This is my signature. Notice how it is all clean and bloodless? Well a sacrifice of Men Women or Space Marines will help me put blood on this signature,
-Khrone 2013.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 05:53:23 pm »

Yeah I know that haha. I have a good safe area set out and I'm accommodating for bounce back I have basically a largish wooden box shape to throw into and a safe distance marked out to practise from

rutsber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 05:59:29 pm »

I think I would prefer a more traditional bow. I'm not to keen on the compound bows.  What sort of draw should I be looking at ? 30lbs? And Do you know any good websites to buy from for bows ?
I'm not sure what to do for draw. I never paid much attention to draw weight, I just tested out bows in a store until I found one that wasn't too hard or too easy to pull back. 30lbs will probably be fine, unless you are pretty strong. One thing to keep in mind about a traditional bow is that they are difficult to increase the draw on. As for websites, I don't know of any. I always got my equipment from a local shop. Depending on what country you live in and how rural the area is, you might have a shop nearby.
Gave me an idea. I'm gonna add the milkable tag to the male minotaur. MMMMmmm minotaur cheese.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 06:03:48 pm »

Hehe UK and I'm rather far. I have checked out Nottingham and Lincolnshire but no luck. So I think Internet is the best I will do.

rutsber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2012, 06:13:22 pm »

I remember looking up yew longbows a few years ago, but I never got anywhere because no one exported to the U.S. Hopefully someone else will have a website for you, otherwise you could try looking up a specific type of bow like 'yew longbow' on google, and checking out some sites. Most sites have contact information. If you have any questions on equipment in general, just ask.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 07:10:03 pm »

Yeah, in the US, the process is,
For bows:
Go to local bow store, buy bow.
Use at local range.
Success!

For knives:
Go to that weird store downtown, buy a box of throwing knives. Maybe get some free shuriken with your purchase.
Set up hay bail with target on it against the side of your house.
Success!

I don't know how much that differs in the UK - I imagine a lot.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2012, 05:24:47 pm »

I'd love to practice archery, come to think of it. Militia ho!

I'd also love to be a swordsman, but we're not in the medieval ages. As I constantly have to remind myself. :(

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2012, 05:33:20 pm »

I went to the gym on Wednesday, and leveled up arm strength and endurance. Now my stamina bar is slightly bigger! ;)

The trick would be to blunt the sword, and make it super lightweight (maybe hollow?)

Bows could have a sponge arrowhead. :)

Good luck with your developments ScriptWolf. :D

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2012, 02:08:19 am »

One thing I will say is that if you're unsure of a site, don't send them your information. Google the site, customer reviews and past issues. It's not worth losing your card/personal information over if the site isn't what it claims to be.

For throwing knives there is only one place in my city, and they are considered a cutlery store, which happens to sell a lot of knives and swords. You just need to look around, and you might find something nearby.

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2012, 02:10:17 am »

Be sure not to accidentally fling the knife backwards into your face eye etc. As not only will that hurt like hell, but it can and possibly will kill you. Keep that in mind.

Isn't a proper knife throw such that you don't actually aim for your own head? or am I thinking of an Ax throw?

Khorne

• Bay Watcher
  • The one and only Blood God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2012, 12:26:52 am »

Isn't a proper knife throw such that you don't actually aim for your own head? or am I thinking of an Ax throw?
If he is holding the very end of the blade with his fingers, it is possible to accidentally fling it backwards to where it will crash into his frontal cranium, and possibly end up in the eye nose or other areas. Basicly, extra caution must be maintained.
This is my signature. Notice how it is all clean and bloodless? Well a sacrifice of Men Women or Space Marines will help me put blood on this signature,
-Khrone 2013.

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2012, 09:00:39 am »

If he is holding the very end of the blade with his fingers, it is possible to accidentally fling it backwards to where it will crash into his frontal cranium, and possibly end up in the eye nose or other areas. Basicly, extra caution must be maintained.

Most throwing methods I've seen involve keeping you arm parallel with your shoulder, so at worse you'd throw it over your shoulder or clip your arm.

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)
Pages: [1] 2