Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Function loss in the heart  (Read 3993 times)

camz123

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Function loss in the heart
« on: October 07, 2012, 03:20:23 pm »

My most recent (vampire) adventurer recently got punched in the heart by a bogey man and in his injuries list his heart is shown as cyan. Would functionality loss in the heart be fatal in a non undead adventurer or is it just a minor nusciance for a normal character?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Function loss in the heart
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 03:28:11 pm »

I believe it shows as a mortal wound, but as long as the heart isn't damaged in such a way that it is spewing blood, there's no permanent health risk and it will be in decent shape again once you sleep/wait/travel.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 11:12:54 am »

The heart is a completely non-vital organ that just happens to bleed a lot if injuried (something like a spleen in reality). I once saw a
dwarf whose heart was surgically removed survive.
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 11:15:07 am »

I love this game.

The surgery system could use more manual controls though. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Cassandra

• Bay Watcher
  • Serpent Lady, Slayer of Ancients
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 02:33:17 pm »

Heck, if you happen to be a thrall, you can have your heart ripped apart with a battle-axe, and bleed out, and not care.
Cassandra likes elves for their taste, Cobalt for it's pretty colors, and kittens for their cute intentions. She is incredibly strong, but horribly unlucky, and speaks with a rasping accent. She is white with black eyes. She likes dwarves for their hilarious intentions.

"The fuck do you mean by 'plot'"

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 05:22:37 pm »

Function loss of the Heart should be a song. :P

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 10:12:21 am »

Yup, the only vital are gans are the brain, the lungs (you can survive on one) and the upper (and middle?) spine. I tested it out with a syndrome that caused the hart to cease function.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Scow2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2012, 10:58:16 am »

I wonder if adventurer heart non-criticalness has something to do with the player controlling the adventurer...

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2012, 11:27:47 am »

No, if your dwarves have their heart stop working they wont suffer either.

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2012, 12:43:15 pm »

miauw62:
the spine in of its self is not vital , only its nerve tissue is need for your lungs to work.

Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2012, 01:01:54 pm »

That makes it vital enough for me. The lungs arent vital either, they are just needed to get oxygen to your cells.

Gaybarowner

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOW_LEARNER] [VERMIN_HATEABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2012, 01:46:57 pm »

beaiting people down with your heart!

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2012, 01:53:34 pm »

beaiting people down with your heart!
I suppose it's as sensible as beating a man to death with a spool of thread (which I totally did once. Took forever.).

Scow2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2012, 02:21:01 pm »

That makes it vital enough for me. The lungs arent vital either, they are just needed to get oxygen to your cells.
While that might be true in real life, in Dwarf Fortress, you need lungs or else the character Suffocates to death.
However, in Dwarf Fortress, you can [theoretically] have the spine get smashed open/torn out without it automatically destroying the nerves. If your bones are missing but nerves are intact, you're good to go.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2012, 02:32:16 pm »

Function loss of the Heart should be a song. :P
Pages: [1] 2