Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 81

Author Topic: My Little Fortress - 2016 (DF 0.43.04) yay!  (Read 185859 times)

BlueMagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Blue admires magical items for their shininess
    • View Profile
Re: My Little Fortress: Losing is !!MAGIC!! (Formerly known as Fanon is Magic)
« Reply #105 on: October 16, 2012, 11:08:56 pm »

You should make a note that ponies get offended if you try to trade turtles with them somewhere in the mod.
Blue cancels Type Coherent Post: Crying Over Fictional Characters

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 16, 2012, 11:10:30 pm »

You should make a note that ponies get offended if you try to trade turtles with them somewhere in the mod.

Turtles specifically? That's odd. It should either be animals as a whole or no animals at all.

BlueMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 17, 2012, 01:39:10 am »

I'm annoyed since this wasn't mentioned at all in the google doc and my ponies were dying and needed the supplies. I was trading only turtles with them and they got offended and left.

Also I started a new fortress and the new migrants won't lift a finger to do anything. They're listed in the unit screen so it can't be that they haven't arrived yet. They're just standing around even when I have orders that would require ponies of their skills.
They've sometimes do things. Their labors are enabled and everything...they're not even taking breaks. They're just standing around.

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 17, 2012, 04:58:31 am »

Ponies don't like killing animals I guess. I'll tone that down a bit, I am also working on some non-fish alternatives from fishing. Tho I guess those too will be "alive"  since they are technically animals. As for migrants standing around, I don't think I've had that problem myself, but I'll look into it.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 17, 2012, 07:34:27 am »

That sounds like a general bug in DF, I believe I've heard of it happening before.  Are the migrants still flashing as if they aren't accustomed to your fort yet?

I'm also a bit surprised that the ethics stuff actually will cause pony traders to get huffy about trading animals / animal parts.  I didn't realize that it actually mattered that much outside of determining worldgen wars.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

The Mysterious Mr. Blue

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 17, 2012, 07:50:22 am »

Hello!
I have been playing this mod for a while now, and I've so far found it to be an enjoyable experience. However, there's one small thing that's been bothering me, namely the distinct lack of 16x16 sprites to go with it. As someone who's used to graphical tilesets, and tends to feel lost and confused without them, this small gripe has given me a disproportionate amount of frustration.

So I decided to do something about it.
The solution to my little problem turned out better than expected, so I thought I'd share it with you all.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It's not a 100% complete, most obviously so in the case of the military, but it should work alright for the most part.

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 17, 2012, 08:40:07 am »

Ohh, I like those!  The primary reason I haven't explored the graphical tileset is that it makes distinguishing different pony types a bit harder. I'll definitely add a link to those in the title post if you want tho :p

Working on changelings now as well as bluemagics seaweed idea looking pretty neat so far! Especially if an idea I had pans out.

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 17, 2012, 09:45:04 am »

If a race's ethics disapprove of killing animals (MISGUIDED and up) they will be offended if you trade them anything made from something that implies an animal kill - shell, leather, bone, etc.  Even the home caravan.  If you're going for "vegetarian" fishing, I suggest making some new material templates that do not imply animal kills, such as maybe fishing up dead sand dollars for a "shell" or something.  As long as the item is not made from a material that has the animal kill-tag, it will be accepted in trade (This is why they will accept cheese and milk, but not meat, it's all related to the material tags).  You could, in theory, build whole animals that wouldn't be considered as animals when you kill them.   :P  SMALL_REMAINS like fish, however, still might screw things up, as I'm not sure if that tag is coded to imply a kill or not.

As for the migrants, can they access a meeting area?  Do they have the proper tiles?  You can try DFHack's tweak fixmigrant and see if that helps.

The Mysterious Mr. Blue

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 17, 2012, 10:23:04 am »

Ohh, I like those!  The primary reason I haven't explored the graphical tileset is that it makes distinguishing different pony types a bit harder. I'll definitely add a link to those in the title post if you want tho :p

Working on changelings now as well as bluemagics seaweed idea looking pretty neat so far! Especially if an idea I had pans out.
A link in the title post? I'd be honored!

As for distinguishing between pony types at a glance... hmm...

That might be doable through a dash of transparency and the [CASTE_COLOR] tag in the creature raws. More specifically, the background colour part of the [CASTE_COLOR] tag.

That might make it harder to distinguish between different professions, though.

EDIT: Seems I spoke too soon. Caste colours seem to get overridden by profession colours, and profession colours don't stick to the background. The result isn't pretty.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 12:23:49 pm by The Mysterious Mr. Blue »

BlueMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 17, 2012, 08:42:45 pm »

It's weird but after two thirds of the season they started to work. They already had reached my meeting area and were standing around just...chilling and eating and drinking.

Grafsburg

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mad Catta
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 17, 2012, 10:35:25 pm »

Is anyone else having trouble making chocolate? I've got bags of cane sugar and cocoa both, but the kitchen menu doesn't recognize it and won't let me make any.
"The great thing about music is that when it hits you, you feel no pain." ~Bob Marley

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 17, 2012, 10:36:27 pm »

Are they in barrels?  Custom food reactions really hate barrels and often refuse to see ingredients if they're in barrels.

Grafsburg

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mad Catta
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 17, 2012, 10:40:16 pm »

They are indeed. I'll try and get them out of the barrels.
"The great thing about music is that when it hits you, you feel no pain." ~Bob Marley

The Mysterious Mr. Blue

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 18, 2012, 03:46:35 pm »

I was playing adventure mode when I stumbled upon a diamond dog bandit camp and... uh...

A short dive into the raws reveals that this might be caused by typos in the [CREATURE_TILE] tags. Let's see if I can fix it...

Better than before, but I'm not sure they're all supposed to have the B tile... Let's try again.

There we go!

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 18, 2012, 04:14:33 pm »

Oh yeah... I forgot about the invisible diamond dogs issue, gotta. fix that. The sprites look tho!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 81