Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 19

Author Topic: Best and Worst of: Chairs  (Read 13370 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Best and Worst of: Legend of Zelda
« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2012, 10:25:14 am »

The Wind Waker is without a doubt the best. In fact it is one of the best Nintendo games I have ever played.
I cannot criticize it in any way, honestly; I pretty much enjoyed everything about it. Especially the art style and music, though. Oh man, I'm practically tearing up from remembering it! I'm gonna have to dig the game out at some point.

Worst... Hrm, I'm not really sure. I haven't played too many of them all that much. :-\ I played Majora's Mask for a bit and Ocarina of Time for a bigger bit, but that's about it. The latter was good fun, although the former pissed my young self off for being too hard(at the time, at least... Maybe I should go back to it). :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2012, 10:33:36 am »

I'd have to say Majora's the best one. Such a haunting story...

As to the worst: I can't deny it; it's obvious:

I've played the CD-i version on a real CD-i. It was horrific.

Not counting those: Probably Minish Cap. While most people'd disagree, I felt it was rather lazy in its execution.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2012, 10:49:52 am »

Well, the very title kinda works from that angle, so.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 06, 2012, 10:50:21 am »

From the ones I've played(original LoZ, Zelda II, Link to the Past, Link's Awakening, both Oracles, Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask are the ones I can remember).

Can't really decide on a favorite. Least favorite might be Zelda II, but I still liked it. Most hated would be every part with Tingle in it. I seriously want to stab that guy.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 06, 2012, 10:53:07 am »

My favorite is probably going to be A Link to the Past. Huge amount of dungeons and items, two overworlds to explore, and probably a fair amount of nostalgia goggles.

I played Skyward Sword recently and that weighs in my mind as being pretty bad. I think Nintendo's biggest problem was their target audience. Most fan's of the franchise are going to be in their late teens or twenties, but this felt a lot like "Baby's First LoZ" (a complaint that could also be leveled at Minish Cap). The sword controls they had with the Wii motion plus were cool, but every single enemy having a flashing sign that said "Kill me with a horizontal stroke!" detracted from it in a huge way. The music mechanics which had been big parts of previous titles were so dumbed down as to be non-existant. The overworld areas were linear in the extreme, and the skyworld lacked any kind of real exploration (plus it was a pain to get around in). And don't even get me started on Fi.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 06, 2012, 10:57:45 am »

My favorite is still Link to the Past. I just really haven't enjoyed most of the 3d ones - I finished Ocarina of Time, which I thought was good but not great, and Twilight Princess, which I actually really enjoyed but would have liked less "the entire game is a tutorial!" handholding.

Windwaker and Majora's Mask both involved me getting partway through/most of the way through (respectively) and putting it down. I think I maybe had one or two hours left in MM, from what people tell me? Eh, I was just like "this is not really worth finishing". Just to be clear here, this is a thing I almost NEVER do - I have to be failing to get any enjoyment whatsoever from a game for that to happen. Final Fantasy games are the leading contender for this, since they tend to go rapidly downhill quality-wise about 3/4ths of the way through, and the stuff that remains is stale. Anyways, both of them just felt... monotonous. (and, for that matter, incredibly ugly visually. That's not really enough to ruin a game for me, but I found them both painful from a visual perspective)
Unless this deep, thematically heavy, dark plot stuff happens in the last couple hours of Majora's Mask, I don't remember any.

It might be worth it to give Windwaker another go, I suppose, only got a few hours into that one...

As far as /least/ favorite... of the ones I've played enough to judge? It would probably be Majora's Mask.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 06, 2012, 11:04:19 am »

this game is fucking dark. We're talking about a game where the main plot is about the end of the world, perpetrated by a being that exists to cause suffering.
Is that... not the plot of every Zelda game?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 06, 2012, 11:08:43 am »

As far as /least/ favorite... of the ones I've played enough to judge? It would probably be Majora's Mask.
You are dead to me.
this game is fucking dark. We're talking about a game where the main plot is about the end of the world, perpetrated by a being that exists to cause suffering.
Well, no. Ganon tends to be more of the "conquer and lord over" type. Majora just wants everything, everywhere, to die. All of the Zelda games include some manner of crisis, but I think only Majora's Mask actually invokes the apocalypse. Three days after the game starts, no less.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 11:13:20 am by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 06, 2012, 11:11:14 am »

I really liked the Oracle games. They really need to get Capcom to make some more Zelda games.

Zelda II was the worst. By a ton. I hate it.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 06, 2012, 11:18:29 am »

Link to the Past is my favorite.  All the 3d ones seem kinda dumb, and all the NPC's look like they are the result of years of inbreeding.  :(
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 06, 2012, 11:22:10 am »

You are dead to me.
Well, no. Ganon tends to be more of the "conquer and lord over" type.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Microcline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 06, 2012, 12:24:09 pm »

Majora's Mask - It really iterated on and improved a lot of the things OoT did well, while stepping up the human elements of the game.  It experimented with the gameplay and setting and succeeded.

Wind Waker
Ocarina of Time
Link's Awakening
A Link to the Past
Oracle of Seasons
Four Swords Adventures
Oracle of Ages
Soul Train
Twilight Princess
Minish Cap
Classic
Phourglass
Zelda II

CDi - It's kind of an obvious choice for the worst.  Twilight Princess is probably the most disappointing in that they had the most time and technology to work with and still ended up with something lackluster and Phourglass is probably the most mediocre, but the Philips CDi Zelda games will always be brought up even in non-Zelda contexts as straight-up bad games on every level.

Meansdarling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 06, 2012, 01:30:11 pm »

I liked Spirit Tracks. It was way more entertaining to me than Skyward Sword was.

Maybe just because Skyward Sword kept trying to nostalgia me and Spirit Tracks was doing it's own thang.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Best and Worst of: Quentin Tarantino Films
« Reply #58 on: October 06, 2012, 01:49:13 pm »

Next!

Best is Kill Bill.

Followed closely by Pulp Fiction.

Then Inglorious Basterds.

Then Reservoir Dogs.

And worst is Death Proof, though that was meant to be satirical anyway.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

ISP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Best and Worst of: Quentin Tarantino Films
« Reply #59 on: October 06, 2012, 03:21:45 pm »

Whos Quentin Tarantino?
I've never heard of any of those movies.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 19