Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11

Author Topic: Ultimate Challenge [Now Featuring Phoebus Texture Pack!]  (Read 21142 times)

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
Re: Ultimate Challenge
« Reply #90 on: October 05, 2012, 10:08:01 pm »

It's the only water I have, rain happens, and how much will dwarves need water, anyways?
And, again, what other options do I have? Magma wells?

Seeing how you will either have to make booze from surface plants which take a long time to get a farm working, or drink water.... You will need water, otherwise you will have no food reserves.
I'm in the autumn of year 2 and I have 10 muck roots, 55 bloated tubers, 106 prickle berries, 110 wild strawberries, 110 longland grass, 10 valley herbs, 18 rat weed, 20 fisher berries, 18 rope reeds, 8 blade weeds, 21 hide roots, and 153 whip vines. I'd have sun berries but my stupid cook cooked them before I had a chance to ban them, so now I've denuded great swaths of the outdoors looking for another one.

Outdoor farming is no harder than indoor farming. It's quite broken. My dwarves have never touched a murky pool, and I have no other water.

Hunger

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:RETARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 05, 2012, 10:10:57 pm »

It's the only water I have, rain happens, and how much will dwarves need water, anyways?
And, again, what other options do I have? Magma wells?

Seeing how you will either have to make booze from surface plants which take a long time to get a farm working, or drink water.... You will need water, otherwise you will have no food reserves.
I'm in the autumn of year 2 and I have 10 muck roots, 55 bloated tubers, 106 prickle berries, 110 wild strawberries, 110 longland grass, 10 valley herbs, 18 rat weed, 20 fisher berries, 18 rope reeds, 8 blade weeds, 21 hide roots, and 153 whip vines. I'd have sun berries but my stupid cook cooked them before I had a chance to ban them, so now I've denuded great swaths of the outdoors looking for another one.

Outdoor farming is no harder than indoor farming. It's quite broken. My dwarves have never touched a murky pool, and I have no other water.

Well your lucky, All I have is strawberries and prickle berries.

Also, MrWillSauce I figured you would want to look at these two images:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The Ultimate Challenges
(Can you beat them all?)
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=117366.0
Made By: Hunger

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 05, 2012, 10:14:03 pm »

The figurine is nice, but it'd be better if the image depicted me killing elves instead of working. I'm sure I can rectify this by simply beating an elf to death with the figurine though.

Hunger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 05, 2012, 10:17:25 pm »

The figurine is nice, but it'd be better if the image depicted me killing elves instead of working. I'm sure I can rectify this by simply beating an elf to death with the figurine though.

I found this one of the bear you killed that killed one of my dwarfs.
I LOL'D so hard.

The Ultimate Challenges
(Can you beat them all?)

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 05, 2012, 10:24:36 pm »

I didn't know bears could laugh.

Hunger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 05, 2012, 10:25:10 pm »

I didn't know bears could laugh.

Thats why I just gave you a War Jaguar.
The Ultimate Challenges
(Can you beat them all?)

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 05, 2012, 10:27:31 pm »

Name it Mittens.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 05, 2012, 10:41:34 pm »

PTW
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Hunger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ultimate Challenge [Now Featuring Phoebus Texture Pack!]
« Reply #98 on: October 05, 2012, 10:50:57 pm »

The Ultimate Challenge is now featuring Phoebus Mod
The Ultimate Challenges
(Can you beat them all?)

Hunger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 05, 2012, 11:46:15 pm »

So, I am at 5 years now :p
its been a long 5 years, but I am here!

How have you guys fortresses been doing?
The Ultimate Challenges
(Can you beat them all?)

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 06, 2012, 12:12:05 am »

So, wait, is the only rule "No mining"?

Any restriction on biomes or trading or anything like that?  Is there any reason NOT to embark on a sandy volcano for infinite glass, 'cause that seems pretty close to a winning strategy here.

Buying ores, stones, blocks, bars and merchants will eventually get you everything you could have gotten from mining, so is the challenge just the fact that it will take longer to create an proper fortress?

Any limits on exploits like metal-multiplication, or embarking with 100 free bags (that come with sand)?

I would think that if this were to be a proper "Ultimate Challenge" where different forts could actually be compared against one another, you would have have everybody start off with a pre-existing save file, and play on that specific map with that specific embark.  Otherwise is there any reason not to embark on a volcano with a bunch of chunks of ore?

It seems as if it should be very easy to make an "easy mode" version of this "Ultimate Challenge".
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 06, 2012, 12:41:19 am »

Any restriction on biomes or trading or anything like that?  Is there any reason NOT to embark on a sandy volcano for infinite glass, 'cause that seems pretty close to a winning strategy here.

Buying ores, stones, blocks, bars and merchants will eventually get you everything you could have gotten from mining, so is the challenge just the fact that it will take longer to create an proper fortress?

There's no stone at all.

Hunger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 06, 2012, 12:47:23 am »

Any limits on exploits like metal-multiplication, or embarking with 100 free bags (that come with sand)?

I would think that if this were to be a proper "Ultimate Challenge" where different forts could actually be compared against one another, you would have have everybody start off with a pre-existing save file, and play on that specific map with that specific embark.  Otherwise is there any reason not to embark on a volcano with a bunch of chunks of ore?

It seems as if it should be very easy to make an "easy mode" version of this "Ultimate Challenge".

The point of this challenge that one small screw up could lead to the death of your fort. From brewing too many drinks that leaves you with no food, or that you spend too much embark points on metals. I nearly screwed up when a were-tapir attacked my fort and I didn't have any sort of military. I am in the fifth year and barely getting metal, it was hard and I nearly got into a Tantrum Spiral. All of this stuff makes it the Ultimate Challenge.
The Ultimate Challenges
(Can you beat them all?)

Hunger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 06, 2012, 01:04:05 am »

Hey MrWillSauce you might want to see your warhammer
The Ultimate Challenges
(Can you beat them all?)

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 06, 2012, 01:10:05 am »

There's no stone at all.
Wait, as in Stone doesn't exist?  It's dirt all the way down?  You cannot embark with stone of any kind, buy stone, or stone blocks or do anything stone-related at all?  Is this what lead to the statement about not being able to build querns?

If there is no stone, doesn't that mean that other civs won't have access to metal, since the ores (which are stones) will not be present at their settlements?

Maybe I should take a look at this challenge, although I'm still pretty certain that Volcano = victory.  Fewer trees, sure, but you don't have to burn any for fuel in the first place.  Availability of sand will be important though.

But until I take a proper look at the challenge, I do suppose I'm all talk.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11