Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37

Author Topic: M E I N K A M P F : A Tale of Vainglourious Basterds - [GAME OVER: 5/11]  (Read 68877 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile

From my second post in TEAM AMERICA chat:

On further consideration, I expect one of you is actually a filthy traitorous scumbag and not on our side at all.

Bastard.

Called it.

Quite the enjoyable game!  Reading for more detail now.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile

By the way, Jim, this was also my gift to you for what happened in the second Witches' Coven.

Thanks, bro. I was really excited about this game, but I couldn't keep up with four games, one of which had four different miniature mafia games inside it, and maths at the same time, so I had to replace out else I would have gone crazy.

The end game strategy LNCP alluded to was the following: Ultimately, the success of the Russian team depended on everyone not knowing what the hell was really going on until it was too late. This was always going to be a losing battle, since everyone was going to became extremely curious when a spy flipped that wasn't on their team. So early on, I started thinking about how I would deal with it when I was discovered.

The lie would go something like this: That I am a superspy, and that I'm a German double agent on behalf of the Allies in addition to being an embedded spy in every single team. The reason that we were all out here is that secrets were being leaked to the Germans from each of our teams, and that after making the Allies aware of this, their heavy-handed response to the intelligence leaks was to send everyone involved on a suicide mission. I would try to sell that on each team there was a German double agent, and that if we could discover the identities of the double agents and eliminate them, we could get the artifact or whatever and escape with our lives. To lend credence to what I was saying, I would have brought up Where Eagles Dare, for its emphasis on secret agents and double agents and super secret double agents, and said that this game was sort of that movie but in the extreme. I also would have immediately bussed IronyOwl for not being on any team.

I have no idea if it would have worked or not, but that's what my plan was. By posing as a sort of friendly quadruple agent instead of a hostile one, I think my chances of successfully not dying might have been higher in the short term, but after a certain point I think I would have been on the chopping block anyway.

Regardless, fun game.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile

I don't think you'd be able to survive as a claimed quadruple agent.  It just screams "I AM THE BASTARD SCUM".  It'd be interesting to have a bastard setup where the apparent bastard scum is actually town but that's another issue.

The easiest way to boost the scum would be to remove roleflips, but that would probably push it too far in the other direction.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile

The amount of detail you put into the flavor is amazing.  Congrats.

I'll say it again- not knowing ahead of time that my vote steal would be obvious like that was a nasty surprise.  I'm used to games where votecounts just show the obvious voting.

Quote from: Dariush
And ZU, please stop being an idiot and attacking the single least lynchable person possible (Toaster).

<3

Quote from: Dariush
I think that Toaster is about the only non-spy in the game.

Where'd that come from?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile

I was purposely doing that to 'do nothing' since I knew Toaster wouldn't suspect it.

I also considered claiming multi-spy in the various chats, but I didn't think anyone would buy it. Its also kinda strange to claim such a thing that late into the game.

If the claims didn't start pouring out, I considered asking Shakerag to claim IO as being part of his team.

This game might be really !!fun!! on IRC.
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile

I. Knew. It.

I did google Brian Cleeve, but then attributed everything darn else to flavor! Even re-read my own PM flavor four times to imagine the situation (yes, this is me and flavor.) and I totally missed the references! Yes, even the vial of sweet smelling liquid. Hapah cornered the idea.

...There goes my History and Chemistry lessons.

That was awesome LNCP. Awesome in the way that people will be attributing to this game in the future when they reference [STUFF].

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile

I won't get around to reading all the chats until tomorrow, but I've gotta say:

A+ work, LNCP. My first game with you, and I'm be a liar if I said it wasn't damn enjoyable.

(And I didn't even pick up on half the damned clues and I still felt like a clever bastard! Shows what I know, lol)
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile

You got more clues than any of us...

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile

I'm glad you all enjoyed the game - I certainly had fun making it. :)

I'll say it again- not knowing ahead of time that my vote steal would be obvious like that was a nasty surprise.  I'm used to games where votecounts just show the obvious voting.

Yeah, sorry about that. I couldn't find much precedent.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

It does seem like it was nearly impossible for the Soviets to win, but I played like crap, Jim replaced out, and ZU's plan didn't work, so it's kind of hard to say how that would have gone with a Soviet team that actually had its shit together.

The main issue to me, though, was the flips. With every single lynch or kill turning up a Spy, it was pretty much impossible for everyone not to figure out what was going on eventually.

I think this was also a major flaw in your intent with this game- there wasn't enough fiddly stuff to figure out the "real" game, nor was doing so necessary to win. All they had to do was figure out that everyone was a spy, notice that Allied spies being "enemies" didn't make much sense, and lynch the odd factors, which was almost exactly what they did do. Changing Soviets to Italians or something wouldn't have hurt anything in this case, but it would have been totally counterproductive to the puzzle element.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile

I think focusing on knocking out one team would have gone better- especially with your kill to eliminate those hard to lynch (or Dariush when he wasn't blocking you.)  That way, with one "team" gone, the other two allied groups are more likely to be at odds with each other, and a double agent is more believable than a triple/quadruple agent.  Hindsight is 20/20 though.

I recall the Kommandant saying Comrade at least once, but I didn't draw any conclusions from it.

Also, ZU was a bit right on one thing- if I was a proper German with an Iron Cross, I would have been displaying it proudly, even on the battlefield.  I did a little research and found that German soldiers indeed would wear them pretty much all the time.  It was considered an honor, and a sign of "this guy knows what's up- listen to him."  Apparently no one checked up on it, and no idea if I should have worn it sleeping.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile

An interesting concept, but it was spoiled after BMC flipped spy. Also LNCP, your Russian translation is atrocious. Asking a native to translate that would have been far more realistic. ;)

I considered you non-spy, Toaster, because you were behaving the least scummy.

I hate myself for guessing the existence of a double agent, but thinking it was DS and not Jim/ZU. :(

Also, the flavor hints were far too obscure. It is a bit extreme - fitting a single reference to a silenced Kommandant's revolver (which I didn't spot, by the way. Along with other hints :() among literally pages and pages of flavor, then hoping we would become suspicious and discover that it could only be a russian-made one.

I didn't really like the game. It was obvious everyone else was focusing on survival instead of actually solving the puzzle. I figured everything out on D2, but was afraid to claim for fear of people simply lynching me. :(

Also also, now I'll never be able to trust my teammates in a bastard game ever again. Meeeh.

Edit:
Quote from: IO
I hate it when ignoring and lynching me wins people the game. D:<
Best mafia quote ever.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 08:57:56 am by Dariush »

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile

Also also, now I'll never be able to trust my teammates in a bastard game ever again. Meeeh.
I've felt this way for a while.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile

Dead chat makes me happy.
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile

Yep.
And good game, that was fun (to read at least, not to say play a bit :P)
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37