Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37

Author Topic: M E I N K A M P F : A Tale of Vainglourious Basterds - [GAME OVER: 5/11]  (Read 68866 times)

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile

Spoiler: N1 - IronyOwl (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: N1 - Dariush (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: N1 - Toaster (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: N1 - Shakerag (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: N2 - IronyOwl (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: N2 - Dariush (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: N2 - Toaster (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: N2 - Shakerag (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: N3 - Dariush (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: N3 - Toaster (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: N3 - Shakerag (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: N4 - Dariush (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: N4 - Toaster (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: N4 - Shakerag (click to show/hide)

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile

What else is there? Reserved just in case.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile

PFP

The flavor.

Did the game play out how you thought it would, LNCP? What flavor clues did we miss?

EDIT: Oh yeah. Did you hand-pick Jim for the mastermind, or did he random into it?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 06:14:49 pm by Hapah »
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile

I haven't been following the game but I must say this is a really interesting setup.  It's clearly a tough game for scum but that's made up for by the fact that all the other players wrongly thought that they were the informed minority.  The mastermind in particular had a hilariously difficult job, but could probably win provided he prevented the truth of the setup from coming out.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile

I wonder how the game would have played out had Jim stayed in. 

Excellent flavor, LNCP. 

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile

As you can see, there wasn't a single Nazi in the entire game - not even in the flavour. It was all a Soviet trap (which adds another layer of "disturbing" to the Kommandant's blithe killings of NPCs, no?).

That's the game concept, really, in a nutshell. The experimental part of the setup was to see just how long it would take for the players to realise that their entire world was staged (which, sadly, never truly happened despite the spy win) and begin progressing to the real game, and then how long it would take (or even if) for them to uncover the third secret layer to the game added by the artifact mentioned in every role PM - I've chosen to leave just that part obscured. As RedWarrior0 described it: "The rough concept is absolutely nuts and hilarious."

This is strictly a one-off game; I won't be doing Mein Kampf again or any spin-offs because after this one, it has lost the element of surprise.

I was slightly disappointed in how slow the Allied Spy players were in understanding the nature of the situation. I suppose that was because everyone got stuck in the scum-mentality and looked out primarily for their own faction's win.

There were clues to the false nature of the Nazi camp peppered everywhere in the flavour - as this is a mostly historically accurate Mafia game (and yes, used real-world and not movie logic), if you noticed any of these, they weren't due to me being lazy research-wise.

Possibly the most prominent such hint was the Kommandant's silenced revolver - a thoughtful person would have (I hoped) realised that such a thing isn't that common, and a gun-wise person might even have known that most revolvers can't be silenced due to their mechanisms, and Googled it. As it happens to be, the only WWII-era silenced revolver known to exist is the Nagant M1895, a Soviet revolver with an unusual gas-seal system to enable silencing.

Another was the Kommandant's heavy use of the word "Comrade". Another was the Soviet Mastermind shaking hands with even the guards on-duty in the British flavourtext (supposed to be evocative of the Communist everyone-is-equal ideology, though I'm not sure how well that went). Another one which may have been picked up by some was the contrived nature of the mission the agents received. There were a massive bunch more, but I can't remember them - if you're interested in these, feel free to comb through the text!

I'm also slightly disappointed by the fact that nobody bothered to Google their characters, cover or otherwise. Where I could, I used real-life spies and double agents as a basis for the characters - for TolyK (Arthur Owens) and Tiruin (Brian Cleeve), for example, I used many of the real-life person's events in your PMs. Nikolai Ivanovich Kuznetsov was a real spy who worked with Nazi stuff, albeit not a double agent. Aleksandr Langfang was a real Lieutenant-General who worked in the NKVD in our setting period.

I know I wrote myself into a corner by using Russians instead of Axis nations as the opposition - I hope I covered that hole with the rationale for this trap given in the Soviets' flavour (Soviet Russia trying to cover their asses entering the war), but in retrospect, it would've been more streamlined had the Russians been Italians or Japanese.

I'd like to give some postgame props to Hapah for playing the investigator, which really helped the game go. He correctly surmised that the vial was chloroform, and not perfume: Chloroform is a colourless liquid with a distinctive but weak sweet smell, and in real life, it takes several long minutes to take effect (which is why Shakerag felt nothing sniffing that bottle). Shakerag was fortunate enough to be within ~2 hours of Toaster's roleblock to smell the chloroform that had wetted his face (not perfume this time either) by seeing the slight sheen on his face that would have been present had this occurred in real life that specific night.

I haven't been following the game but I must say this is a really interesting setup.  It's clearly a tough game for scum but that's made up for by the fact that all the other players wrongly thought that they were the informed minority.  The mastermind in particular had a hilariously difficult job, but could probably win provided he prevented the truth of the setup from coming out.

Thank you - I'm honoured. :)

I didn't really know how to make it easier for the Soviets, to be honest. I considered giving them more powers, such as a nightkill for the Mastermind, but both Meph and RedWarrior discouraged me from that - I don't know if any setup-related finagling would have helped besides choosing experienced players as they, again, advised (which I did, by the way).

Jim had a different strategy in mind endgame - I do wonder what would have happened had he stayed on.

EDIT: Corrected incomplete sentence.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 06:49:11 pm by lordnincompoop »

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile

By the way, Jim, this was also my gift to you for what happened in the second Witches' Coven.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile

Quote from: LNCP
Possibly the most prominent such hint was the Kommandant's silenced revolver - a thoughtful person would have (I hoped) realised that such a thing isn't that common, and a gun-wise person might even have known that most revolvers can't be silenced due to their mechanisms, and Googled it. As it happens to be, the only WWII-era silenced revolver known to exist is the Nagant M1895, a Soviet revolver with an unusual gas-seal system to enable silencing.
Aw, damnit. I thought that silenced meant something else along the lines of subdued or non-reflective, as Kommandant's gun was described as being loud or deafening more than once, I think. I don't think I would have followed the information through to the end, though.

Quote from: LNCP
I'd like to give some postgame props to Hapah for playing the investigator, which really helped the game go.
<3
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't know if it needed to be easier for the Soviets.  Without Hapah's claim they probably could've won, and it may have been possible for an active mastermind to stop his buddies from claiming like that.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile

By the way, Jim, this was also my gift to you for what happened in the second Witches' Coven.
What about me?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile

UI claimed just as I was about to tell him not to claim, which was the biggest reason for their win. I was luckily able to convince Hapah not to include me on their team.

My endgame plan (up until I got lynched) was basically to lynch Dariush, convince Toaster to give me the double vote and then have IO kill him, and then lynch IU or Shakerag. Then we would have gone the next day 2:1:1:1, which probably would have given us the win, since I was on all three teams.

A backup plan I had was to lynch Shakerag, then have IO kill whoever got the doubled vote for the rest of the game, leaving us with a distinct advantage.

After UI claimed, I considered the option of telling the USA and FR teams that UI was full of shit vs full claiming.

Then Hapah and Shakerag both claimed I was on their team also and that plan got fucked.  >:(

My last hope was that Hapah and Dariush would go along with the plan I outlined, but they didn't and that was that.  :(

I'm still not sure whether eliminating one team completely would have been a better strategy than to chip at each team. It definitely would have made it easier to round up the fake claims.
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Eliminating one team actually sounds like a decent idea (it arguably stops the entire setup from being rumbled) but then you're left with the issue that one or both of the remaining scumteams thinks they've gained a majority/ parity.  It's difficult to say how the game would progress from there.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile

I would have murderized the British, then got the Americans to votesteal and lynch French and have Irony kill Americans.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37