Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: How to revive a dead dwarf in 0.31.25  (Read 7274 times)

omg_scout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to revive a dead dwarf in 0.31.25
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2012, 10:15:59 am »

No goomba here yet?

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2012, 12:40:32 pm »

I have no idea...but I would like to see this drawn :p
I wish there was some thread where you could do that :(
My wooden badge was delicious.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2012, 02:44:41 pm »

when she revived, on the Wounds screen it showed every single one of her body parts as "missing" and she stood there as a skeleton with no limbs complaining that she was too injured to pick up her mining equipment.
Is she too injured to have children?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2012, 05:04:46 pm »

I don't think it's possible to be too injured to have children in DF.  The only potential source of difficulty here is getting her to marry her lover.  I PMed Toady about this some time ago and he was helpful enough to tell me how it works.

The basic idea is that if you get two dwarves to talk enough, that can take them from friends to lovers, if they don't already have lovers, aren't too closely related, and are "compatible" enough.  That's influenced by their likes and dislikes, as well as any common skills they share.

In this case, they're already lovers so it only takes more talks for them to get married.  Just set up a burrow around her and assign him to it.  He'll eventually park himself there and chat with her (hopefully).  Eventually (I think it was 50 chats), they'll get married and will be able to have children.

So... just get him to talk to his undead lover enough and all will be well I suspect.  Toady mentioned that dwarves who are unable to hold a marriage ceremony may put it off, but I don't know precisely what he meant.  That may include being unable to path to a place that they can party, and if she can't path it may cause issues.  I've seen dwarves get married and forego ceremonies before, so it may just take extra time and a little luck.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2012, 05:15:10 pm »

That explains everything!  That's what they should have wished for in _The Monkey's Paw_ as their last wish!
Thank you, now I can't stop imagining the woman opening the door to a zombie donkey.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2012, 11:20:42 pm »

So...dwarven spawn of death, anyone?

Seriously, if they actually have kids, that'll be awesome.  It'd be like the Dunwich Horror or something.  The Antidwarf.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 11:31:59 pm by NRDL »
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2012, 11:24:40 pm »

I love this game.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Xob Ludosmbax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2012, 12:20:17 am »

That explains everything!  That's what they should have wished for in _The Monkey's Paw_ as their last wish!
Thank you, now I can't stop imagining the woman opening the door to a zombie donkey.

I'm probably the least artisticly inclined person in the world, but I blame GoombaGeek for making me "draw" this.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2012, 06:46:51 am »

I think the lack of lungs was implicit in lack of an upper body, but I'm not positive that's how DF keeps track of that.
Implied, maybe, but I was citing the proximate cause.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Twangykid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2012, 10:08:53 am »

to get him laid I resorted to necromancy.
Fuck I love this game.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2012, 10:19:26 am »

Putting the romance back in "necromancer."

HunterG24

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2012, 10:36:38 am »

I approve of this product and/or service

frankwilliams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2012, 09:20:29 am »

May i suggest something that might well work - backup the dwarf race in your save raws, and replace with something like Donkey's, when you reload, every dwarf should be a donkey. This is something that definitely did work in 31.25. note: the creature race will still say [DWARF] - you just cut/paste the contents of the race and leave the header the same.

I'm going to assume the different body-plan won't track wounds the same. Then, save the game and revert the raw modification.
I tried doing this but I don't know much about raws so I might have screwed it up.

I switched the creature_standard entry for dwarves with that of turtles in the save folder but when I re-entered the game, in the health screen all the body parts looked the same. That didn't work so I tried the global raws folder but still nothing happened.

Two interesting things happened, though; when I loaded the game this time, the second I unpaused I got a message claiming "A diplomat has left unhappy". Second, when you re-animate a dwarf the game seems to choose a completely random place for them to appear - last time it was in my stockpiles, and the time before that in the middle of a courtyard - this time the game thought it would be appropriate for a zombie to come back to life in the middle of my church.

I'm not sure if this is wildly ironic or wildly appropriate but in any case I'm still right where I started in terms of the success of this experiment.

I don't think it's possible to be too injured to have children in DF.  The only potential source of difficulty here is getting her to marry her lover.  I PMed Toady about this some time ago and he was helpful enough to tell me how it works.

The basic idea is that if you get two dwarves to talk enough, that can take them from friends to lovers, if they don't already have lovers, aren't too closely related, and are "compatible" enough.  That's influenced by their likes and dislikes, as well as any common skills they share.

In this case, they're already lovers so it only takes more talks for them to get married.  Just set up a burrow around her and assign him to it.  He'll eventually park himself there and chat with her (hopefully).  Eventually (I think it was 50 chats), they'll get married and will be able to have children.

So... just get him to talk to his undead lover enough and all will be well I suspect.  Toady mentioned that dwarves who are unable to hold a marriage ceremony may put it off, but I don't know precisely what he meant.  That may include being unable to path to a place that they can party, and if she can't path it may cause issues.  I've seen dwarves get married and forego ceremonies before, so it may just take extra time and a little luck.
Well, the dwarf in question is incapable of movement, so I don't think the marriage ceremony would be able to happen. While it is a tempting idea to have my heir to the throne be a hellish ghost-child created via immaculate conception and born via divine C-section, I'd prefer for it to have an equally unearthly mother to shepherd it through its early years and such.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2012, 09:55:30 am »

If there's no meeting area dwarves will still get married, they just forgo any formal celebrations. They might get married anyway and cancel the party, but you can definitely have marriage without parties.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2012, 04:42:31 pm »

This is wrong on so many levels.
Congratulations.
Pages: 1 [2] 3