Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: How to revive a dead dwarf in 0.31.25  (Read 7264 times)

frankwilliams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to revive a dead dwarf in 0.31.25
« on: October 01, 2012, 07:52:08 pm »

I've been playing a fort on 31.25 for a while now (over a year, intermittently) and liked the idea of starting a royal family of sorts for my king dwarf. Unfortunately his lover died in a collapse several years earlier and despite my attempts at getting him to get friendly with other lady dwarves it never gets past the "friend" phase on the relationship screen. I'm not sure if this is just because dwarves are incredibly devoted monogamous beings who only ever have one lover or if my king is just a schmuck who keeps getting friend-zoned. But on this point I was dead-set on the idea of a grand royal lineage, so to get him laid I resorted to necromancy.

I tried using Runesmith to change the flags on his lover's corpse to get the game to recognize them as being "alive", problem is the dwarf in question was a partial skeleton in a tomb at this point, so when she revived, on the Wounds screen it showed every single one of her body parts as "missing" and she stood there as a skeleton with no limbs complaining that she was too injured to pick up her mining equipment. Pretty horrifying, really.

Is there a way around this?

megahelmet

• Bay Watcher
  • *casts* Meteo!!
    • View Profile
Re: How to revive a dead dwarf in 0.31.25
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 07:54:17 pm »

I have no idea...but I would like to see this drawn :p
Pylons on fire can stay, its awesome.

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 08:07:01 pm »

Every once in a while I see something that makes me say "God damn I love this game."

OcelotTango

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 08:36:12 pm »

Honestly this is actually pretty epic. It would be even more horrifying if it worked...

frankwilliams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 08:41:43 pm »

That's the idea.

Courtesy Arloban

• Bay Watcher
  • This isn't a fortress... ...It's also not a map.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 09:14:05 pm »

Change her to another species and then back,  I've done that in versions of DF that didn't yet have interactions.  Don't remember exactly how though.

Wait now I remember I used DFhack's change race option.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 09:16:04 pm by Courtesy Arloban »
Maybe that the dwarves never died and everyone is just shunning them.
"Wait, what are you doing?  I don't want to go in there!  No, I'm still alive, you can't do this to me!  Is Anybody listening?  Hello... Can someone let me out?  Help me!  Is anyone there?  I'm running out of air!"

Xob Ludosmbax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2012, 09:34:28 pm »

That explains everything!  That's what they should have wished for in _The Monkey's Paw_ as their last wish!

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2012, 09:39:45 pm »

Make her a werecreature.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2012, 09:45:17 pm »

It's in .31.25 so that won't work unfortunately.

First off, yeah, if he ever had a lover or spouse in the current game he'll never get another if they die.  I've manually hacked the game with a memory editor to get around this in .31.25 and .34.07, but it's far too complicated to explain how to do that here.  I have a thread on it if you're interested, but it's incomplete because I never had the time to finish the details.  I'm still hoping to make it a DFHack plugin some day.

As for fixing her, I'm surprised that worked at all since supposedly dwarves revived this way would immediately suffocate again due to lack of an upper body, or something like that.  Pretty interesting that it works.  The DFHack change race thing sounds interesting, and based on my knowledge of the game should work.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2012, 09:57:22 pm »

I think a lack of lungs would be a bigger issue...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2012, 10:39:48 pm »

I think the lack of lungs was implicit in lack of an upper body, but I'm not positive that's how DF keeps track of that.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

DiezIrae

• Bay Watcher
  • From the depth of thy soul I cometh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2012, 06:55:57 am »

That reminds me of that Web-Manwha I read where that one child survived hundreds of years inside the corpse of his mother... and after he was born she turned to ash...

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2012, 07:12:09 am »

PTW
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

frankwilliams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2012, 08:25:55 am »

Change her to another species and then back,  I've done that in versions of DF that didn't yet have interactions.  Don't remember exactly how though.

Wait now I remember I used DFhack's change race option.

Which "option" is this? Is this in dFusion?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2012, 08:30:48 am »

May i suggest something that might well work - backup the dwarf race in your save raws, and replace with something like Donkey's, when you reload, every dwarf should be a donkey. This is something that definitely did work in 31.25. note: the creature race will still say [DWARF] - you just cut/paste the contents of the race and leave the header the same.

I'm going to assume the different body-plan won't track wounds the same. Then, save the game and revert the raw modification.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 08:33:07 am by Reelya »
Pages: [1] 2 3