Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Technical Help Needed:2gb memory and flickering text 0.34.11  (Read 2233 times)

Glavius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Technical Help Needed:2gb memory and flickering text 0.34.11
« on: October 01, 2012, 05:34:33 pm »

Hello, Didn't want to jump into the bug report section for a first post and perhaps I'm just doing something wrong.

I'm embarking onto a 4x4 standard size tile and after playing for about an hour I creep past 1gb after about an hour and a half I'm at 1.8gb around hour two I hit the 2gb limit and crash. I've attempted running the EXE as large address aware but this hasn't helped. As I'm still crashing at the 2gb limit. I've done some searching and it seems like most people have this issue with either world gen or maximum 16x16 tile sets not 4x4.

The other issue is flickering text. Sometimes when playing text is either completely hidden or randomly disappears and reappears. Moving the window resolves this issue for a time. I'm playing in windowed mode so crossfire shouldn't be an issue. Just annoying the crash is my primary concern.

System: Windows 7 X64, 64GB Ram, no page file, DEP is on for only essential programs, NOD32 AV, I7-3770k, radeon 6990 (this is a crossfire card)

How I'm Playing Dwarf Fortress:
Fortress mode, world started at 5 years old currently in year 38, number of dwarfs 106 (issue seems unaffected I limited to 30 walled in and ran the game still crashed),  Phoebus graphics pack, on reloading a crashed save (I'm using season saves no backup) I'm eating 530ish mb of ram it will quickly climb to 640 and slowly climb til a crash after that.

My Guess:
Dwarf Fortress isn't removing objects from ram because it's caching everything because of the amount of memory on the system.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 05:42:33 pm by Glavius »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Technical Help Needed:2gb memory and flickering text 0.34.11
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 05:48:02 pm »

Haha, good thing you didn't post on the bug reports forum. You're not supopsed to post there anymore.

Anathema

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 06:11:53 pm »

Have you tried the same save on a different pc? If not, zip your entire game folder and upload it to the Dwarf Fortress file depot, I'll try it. If it works on other pcs, we can at least rule out there being anything wrong with your settings/mods/save/etc., and figure out what DF doesn't like about that specific pc.
The good news is that ghosts die of old age.

Glavius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 07:00:21 pm »

It starts up on my laptop without issues. I used a clean install of DF from the bay12 website but I haven't run it long enough to check if it crashes.

Glavius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 07:09:03 pm »

I'm going to go for a complete reinstall. I'll archive my current DF folder and see what happens. I used Lazy Newb Pack the first time around this time I'll just run straight vanilla.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 03:07:12 am »

Are you using truetype?

Truetype sometimes causes missing text, but often it is limited to a few letters.

Glavius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 09:58:19 am »

As far as I know I'm using the default font for the game. I've made no changes to the font unless the graphics kit I have has changed the font type (Phoebus). Also reinstalling seems to of fixed the memory issue I've not seen it break 1gb yet. Still in a wait and see mode though.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 10:43:36 am »

Is the text the same size as the rest of the tiles, or does the character width vary?
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2012, 01:05:17 pm »

I've never heard of anything like this happening before... But holy carp, that's a lot of RAM.  :o I couldn't say whether that's the reason you have the issue or not, though.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2012, 05:19:32 pm »

I've never heard of anything like this happening before... But holy carp, that's a lot of RAM.  :o I couldn't say whether that's the reason you have the issue or not, though.

Most people have more than 4 GB of RAM now...

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2012, 06:11:18 pm »

Most people have more than 4 GB of RAM now...
Maybe you didn't notice, but he didn't say 4 - he said 64.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Glavius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2012, 08:12:56 pm »

Again the font looks uniform to me but I figure a picture couldn't hurt... Also I'm not getting overlapping letters they actually flicker and hide themselves - No screenshot yet I'll take one when it reoccurs. For example: I'll have something set to "Repeat" build on a workshop and the "R" will not show up at all. Yet it's there because if I go and hit R nothing appears to happen but hitting R again will make the "R" appear. The moment I hit the + or - key and change rows the R will vanish again. This behavior stops when I resize the window. The steam overlay (USER is now playing game X or someone messages you) seems to make this happen very quickly - not all the time but a lot faster.

The spoiler contains the picture of how DF looks when I first start playing. I play at 2560x1600 so I thought it wise to hide the picture.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Update: Here's the issue
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 10:30:02 pm by Glavius »

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2012, 01:28:46 am »

The crashing and the text sound like unrelated problems.  As already mentioned, truetype is almost certainly the cause of blanked out text, possible because of your humongous screen resolution.  Try a lower resolution/window size.  Failing that try turning off truetype with F12.

The crash could be due to... well.. many things.  Possibly a bug in DF.  Best thing is to upload a save game before the crash point with details on how to reproduce the crash to DFFD that was linked above.

Sorry no clear solutions!
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

Glavius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2012, 02:14:53 am »

The crash is directly related to hitting the 2gb memory cap. I can play for a couple of hours and after that I'll crash. The saves aren't at fault as I've played the same game on a machine with 3gb of memory and experienced no crashes. What I don't understand is the memory usage. Dwarf Fortress is eating 600mb at launch and will stay at 950mb on my laptop (3gb of memory) but on my desktop (64gb of memory) Dwarf Fortress expands indefinitely until it hits 2gb and crashes.

Tomorrow I'll use the Windows Advanced Options in msconfig to limit my maximum memory to 3gb and see what happens.

Also: I'll try turning off truetype fonts and I'll see what happens.

thiosk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2012, 02:26:27 am »

It might be a strange glitch related to having 64 gb system memory.  This sentence is standing in for likely incorrect postulations.
Pages: [1] 2