Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Bogeymen  (Read 3340 times)

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
Re: Bogeymen
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2012, 02:48:30 pm »

Well I play in 0.34.11, so there are no dwarf fortresses.

Scow2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2012, 02:50:32 pm »

Well I play in 0.34.11, so there are no dwarf fortresses.
So do I. By "Dwarf Fortress", I mean a fort populated by Dwarves. They're the same as Human Castles, but populated by Dwarves, and have dwarf-sized equipment inside.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2012, 02:51:36 pm »

Well that all just depends on how lucky you get during world gen. Whether or not the two civs form alliances and integrate into another is totally random. I've never found one.

Ilirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2012, 03:09:07 pm »

Well that all just depends on how lucky you get during world gen. Whether or not the two civs form alliances and integrate into another is totally random. I've never found one.

I think he means actual fortresses in the dwarf fortress sites, looking exactly like human towns but populated by dwarves.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2012, 03:09:54 pm »

Those don't exist in this version.

Scow2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2012, 03:33:01 pm »

Those don't exist in this version.
Yes they do. My adventurer is in an area with about a dozen Dwarf-controlled fortresses - hence his full +Steel+ or better equipment.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2012, 03:38:12 pm »

But they aren't mountainhome sites in which the dwarves have emulated the humans, which I was refuting. What you have is just a human civilization that has assimilated a bunch of dwarves into them.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2012, 04:32:58 pm »

Yes. Vanilla dwarves will never built castles, and actually have no sites to visit. That's why I modded them to use human structures for the time being. A human civilization could assimilate large quantities of dwarves, but the dwarves will act like short humans, and acquire only human traditions. No steel. I think any clothing or armor not on the dwarves at a site will also be human-sized, as well. If you found steel armor in adventure mode anywhere but in a night creature or megabeast's lair, you're almost certainly modding.

As for bogeymen; I never generate worlds with them anymore. At least not intentionally. Sometimes I play on worlds others have generated or generate one without changing the parameters, and in those cases I usually keep companions around me. When that fails, and I am surrounded by incessant assholes, my skills are almost certainly too low to actually fight them (they are talented in all unarmed/defensive combat skills, so you must be talented or greater in a few skills to really stand a good chance even 1v1.) and I try to run and possibly hide. If my adventurer has enough skill, and hasn't been cursed by a mummy (which is a good excuse to just flat-out retire), I'll try to fight them by skirting the group, keeping them scattered, and fighting them 1 on 1.

So, Rule #1; don't bother fighting them if you're only competent or something at best, or unless you're a dwarf.
Rule #2; only fight them 1v1. Never let two or more bogeymen (or any opponent) be adjacent to you at any time.
Rule #3; Agility, agility, agility, strength, willpower. You MUST be able to outpace them, which both agility and strength affect, and you should invest in willpower to avoid instantly passing out from anything.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 04:36:03 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Hurize

• Bay Watcher
  • Awesome God of Mass Destruction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2012, 07:19:27 pm »

Here are some bulletins I follow:
-RUN
-RUN
-THROW FLUFFY WARBLER
-RUN
The amount of malice in this thread is actually causing me some concern. I mean, chaining up mothers and forcing them to breed, just so we can drown their children to harvest their organs? Does this strike no one else as absolutely horrific?
You misspelled 'hilarious'

Scow2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2012, 07:27:23 pm »

Yes. Vanilla dwarves will never built castles, and actually have no sites to visit. That's why I modded them to use human structures for the time being. A human civilization could assimilate large quantities of dwarves, but the dwarves will act like short humans, and acquire only human traditions. No steel. I think any clothing or armor not on the dwarves at a site will also be human-sized, as well. If you found steel armor in adventure mode anywhere but in a night creature or megabeast's lair, you're almost certainly modding.

I've removed all mods from my version. I think the Dwarves conquered the humans and stole their castles.
Pages: 1 [2]