Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Bogeymen  (Read 3341 times)

Ilirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bogeymen
« on: October 01, 2012, 01:06:42 pm »

How often do you survive bogeyman attacks? I created a new adventurer and forgot about not travelling at night alone:

I gained quite a lot of wrestling experience after losing my foot and arm earlier. The rest of the damage is either recent cuts from the goblin raid or damage from the bogeymen.
I'm surprised I survived for now, considering I usually get my head kicked in after the first few turns. And I'm not even wearing a helmet.
My only available attack is biting.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 01:09:18 pm by Ilirion »

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
Re: Bogeymen
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 01:39:23 pm »

Even a peasant dwarf can take on a horde of them if he gets a martial trance. Other than that, in the past I've been able to surround myself in campfires and wait until the cackling fades.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 01:48:55 pm »

Even a peasant dwarf can take on a horde of them if he gets a martial trance. Other than that, in the past I've been able to surround myself in campfires and wait until the cackling fades.

I don't think humans, natively, can Trance. I forget. The OP is playing a human.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 01:49:22 pm »

I don't think humans, natively, can Trance. I forget. The OP is playing a human.
Only dwarves get trances.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 01:51:11 pm »

That's what I thought. So a human surviving Bogeymen is somethin'. I recall playing adventurer some updates ago, and the Bogeymen just kick my head in.

Jerks.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 01:52:17 pm »

That's what I thought. So a human surviving Bogeymen is somethin'. I recall playing adventurer some updates ago, and the Bogeymen just kick my head in.

Jerks.
Well humans have the advantage of living in a world where they can reasonably get armor.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2012, 01:54:51 pm »

Jerks.
Well humans have the advantage of living in a world where they can reasonably get armor.

That's true. Although I think you won't find any laying around as easily. I seem to recall that dwarves, elves, and goblins only use 'small' armor. I'm not sure why elven armor is "small" they're only, like 10000 smaller then humans or something.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2012, 01:56:28 pm »

I think it's because the elves are so slim. They may be as tall as or taller than the humans, but they're so skinny that human armor can't fit on them.

Ilirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2012, 01:59:31 pm »

Jerks.

This is still the beginning of my adventure. A bandit camp and a huge goblin raid later. I wasn't wearing any armor.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2012, 02:01:41 pm »

I never die from them, nowadays.  My newer adventurers welcome the experience it brings, nowadays.

High speed, charge.  Attack repeatdly.  Run if SHTF.  Burn trees and bushes to buy time.  When you are on the far side of the they will have to path around them.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2012, 02:02:22 pm »

Bogeymen aren't so bad once you attain legendary status. Then they're just life threatening.

Ilirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2012, 02:03:36 pm »

I died of two punctured lungs and a broken kidney after going for one of them night trolls in my condition.

Ilirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2012, 02:05:29 pm »

I never die from them, nowadays.  My newer adventurers welcome the experience it brings, nowadays.

High speed, charge.  Attack repeatdly.  Run if SHTF.  Burn trees and bushes to buy time.  When you are on the far side of the they will have to path around them.

Usually I move away from the group while charging one to the ground if it gets too close, and try to keep going until morning.

I didn't have the ability to stand, though, so I had to fight.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2012, 02:07:50 pm »

If youre on the ground w/out skills, youre dead.  Find a lair/sneak all  night.

Ive snuck all night to avoid them b4
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Scow2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2012, 02:47:12 pm »

Well, it's EASY for dwarves to get armor if you live in a world populated by dwarven fortresses... check the forts around mountain ranges

I have my dwarf demigod axeman fully equipped in steel armor. And even though I'm a savescumming bastard, he STILL gets butchered by everything and their mothers :(, and his 5-12 dwarven companions . He never trances, and the +<<+Steel Helm+>>+, two +Steel Chain Shirts+, *Steel Breastplate*, +<<*Steel Greaves*>>+, two *<<*Steel Shields>>*, and eight +Copper Shield+,  seem to offer all the protection of Paper Mache :(

I wish I could find him +Steel High Boots+ to replace his +Steel Low Boots+

I suspect a BIG part of his problem may be his speed (Which fluctuates between 700-1000)
Pages: [1] 2