Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Any games like Elona out there?  (Read 18970 times)

foxes8787

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Any games like Elona out there?
« on: September 29, 2012, 06:42:26 pm »

Been playing Elona a while now for I like the concept greatly, but I found a lot of the game itself is lost upon me. The idea of having a game with gameplay like most roguelikes that doesn't feature perma-death and focuses a lot more on building up a house, working on relations with the local residence, and doing general non-combat related tasks is truly captivating, but Elona itself is not for me.

So, here's what I wish to find: A game that acts as a tame version of Elona. I want to be able to do things other then dungeon crawling with type of turn-based gameplay of most roguelikes we see today.

Even tried making one myself actually but it was two years ago; Now, being in post-secondary for computer systems technology is taking up most of my time to do so. Maybe I'll make one as a hobby in the future, but that may be quite far into the future we're talking..

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Any games like Elona out there?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, 06:45:31 pm »

UnReal World, sorta.  It's a stone-age survival sim in the far European North.  There's no real community to build or diplomacy, but it's unique for a roguelike in that you focus on some rather boring facets of living, like food and water and keeping warm.

Other than that, all I can say is "Can you crack open Elona source code?"

foxes8787

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2012, 06:48:20 pm »

Other than that, all I can say is "Can you crack open Elona source code?"

Maybe in the future but I'm only 5 weeks into the program itself currently. I can only imagine that trying to 'tame' Elona would be harder than completely remaking it, knowing how much of the game is pure chaos. None the less, I'm currently looking into that.

Edit: Seems I can figure out most of what I need to know about that over at the Elona forum post, so I wish to keep this "Games like:" related. One game that does come to mind though is the Haven and Hearth, and the other one they're coming out with. Any news on how that's turning out?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 06:56:59 pm by foxes8787 »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2012, 07:04:51 pm »

The only news I've heard is "incredibly poorly".

You might like Wurm then.  But this discussion has been had before, there's a list of HnH-likes out there somewhere.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2012, 07:07:28 pm »

I... can't really recommend anything, but you might try trawling through the 7dRL stuff. Folks sometimes get a bit experimental with those, though they tend toward much, much shorter (/less gameplay in general) than something like Elona offers. I'm pretty sure there's a few that emphasize non-combat stuff, I just can't really recall any off the top of my head.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

foxes8787

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2012, 07:13:42 pm »

Wurm was indeed fun, but since it was an MMO, it felt like I needed to have friends playing it in order to enjoy it. I'll see if I can find one of these 'lists' you're speaking of.

I... can't really recommend anything, but you might try trawling through the 7dRL stuff. Folks sometimes get a bit experimental with those, though they tend toward much, much shorter (/less gameplay in general) than something like Elona offers. I'm pretty sure there's a few that emphasize non-combat stuff, I just can't really recall any off the top of my head.
I guess the amount of gameplay fits in closely with the amount of time spend working on it eh? Oh well, even if none really fit the bill, this'll be something definitely interesting to look into! I never knew 7dRLs existed before you mentioned them.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2012, 07:19:07 pm »

Yeah, they're pretty nice. Have a list, if you haven't already found it. Some of 'em went on to update, but that's a good chunk of the completed ones.

There's a yearly competition (of sorts -- there's no real prize beyond the doing) that's been going on for a while, and the ARRP (Annual Roguelike Release Party) tends to dredge up another one or two. It's a nice thing, tends to produce some interesting stuff.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2012, 07:20:06 pm »

Cataclysm maybe ?
There's more than the "explore -> kill monsters" routine to do in Cataclysm.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2012, 07:21:15 pm »

Wurm is fairly easy to grab a village with.  There's always a village looking for people.

foxes8787

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2012, 07:25:55 pm »

Cataclysm maybe ?
There's more than the "explore -> kill monsters" routine to do in Cataclysm.
Kind of been avoiding that, dislike the zombie genre as a hole, but I guess it's about time I give it a try none the less...

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2012, 07:37:06 pm »

It's not your average zombie game.  You're actively discouraged from fighting most of the time.  It really puts the "survival" into "zombie survival".

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2012, 08:11:08 pm »

well, there is Elona Shooter too
http://www.kongregate.com/games/noanoa/elona-shooter

its not a rougelike and more a defence game... but its another game noa made based on elona.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2012, 08:28:01 pm »

Rogue-likes are very much stuck in the rut of formula.

Which is too bad because you easily could translate the mechanics into any sort of game.

-A Roguelike where you train monsters with randomly generated traits and abilities? Sure!
-How about a dating sim in a fictional town where you select your lifestate (Child, Teen, Adult) and gender with a town full of randomly generated dates with their own backstory, likes, and preferences? Possible... HECK Throw in normal dungeon crawling adventures.
-Ok lets go insane... what about a roguelike where you are trying to become the greatest chef in the world? More then possible.

I wish I was good at programing and had a better work ethic. There are so many games I want to make but simply cannot (my current game... I am still trying to make but EVERYTHING stops me all the time)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2012, 08:40:10 pm »

Strictly speaking, a roguelike follows a turn-based system, focuses around dungeon crawling, and has tile-based grid of a map.

However, if you throw out the dungeoneering, then you get turn-based and tile-maps.  That would allow for a lot of flexibility.  Honestly if I could get any display working I'd try it myself, but every C++ compiler I've tried, refuses to link libraries in any reliable fashion.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2012, 08:45:15 pm »

I always thought of a game that would continue the torch of monster rancher series now that the series is pretty good and dead.

Heck I once thought of "What if it was a turn based strategy game" :P
Pages: [1] 2