Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Any games like Elona out there?  (Read 18967 times)

foxes8787

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Any games like Elona out there?
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2012, 08:47:10 pm »

Rogue-likes are very much stuck in the rut of formula.

Which is too bad because you easily could translate the mechanics into any sort of game.

-A Roguelike where you train monsters with randomly generated traits and abilities? Sure!
-How about a dating sim in a fictional town where you select your lifestate (Child, Teen, Adult) and gender with a town full of randomly generated dates with their own backstory, likes, and preferences? Possible... HECK Throw in normal dungeon crawling adventures.
-Ok lets go insane... what about a roguelike where you are trying to become the greatest chef in the world? More then possible.

I wish I was good at programing and had a better work ethic. There are so many games I want to make but simply cannot (my current game... I am still trying to make but EVERYTHING stops me all the time)

Programming is a funny thing; You can't make a game with the goal being just on the finished product, you must like the journey itself. Enjoying programming itself is one of the things that I believe will get me farther then ideas. If most people did have the better work ethic you speak of, then we would have an amazing collection of games out there.. It takes a gamer to make a game after all.

How come all those game ideas you just spit out sound so good... Let's hope one day they start expanding, I get the feeling we have too many dungeon crawlers anyways, it's bound to calm down someday.

Strictly speaking, a roguelike follows a turn-based system, focuses around dungeon crawling, and has tile-based grid of a map.

As well as perma-death, meaning if you can't die, it takes out another part of the roguelike system. Is there a more general term for the turn-based ASCII system?

Infuriated

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2012, 10:35:19 pm »

Wurm was indeed fun, but since it was an MMO, it felt like I needed to have friends playing it in order to enjoy it.
I wouldn't exactly say that, at least for me, I pretty much solo'd my entire Wurm life and enjoyed it thoroughly. I never liked the idea of joining a village, so I just went off on my own since none of my friends wanted to play it and had a blast. It is harder, and you do end up more of a jack-of-all-trades but once your skills get built up a little bit and you have some shelter it's still pretty easy to do what your passionate for in between misc obligations.

Once you get settled in and people start passing through or moving into your neck of the woods, It's pretty easy to make friends. It's pretty funny really, I'd help out anyone in my local looking for it and be generally nice to everyone and give new people fishing rods and such and once in awhile, I'd hear about one of them griefing other people and just thought it was funny that I managed to avoid their poo-list by helping them out with easy things. (also goes to show how many griefing cases are probably caused by people treating the pre-griefer poorly, and probably pissing them off)

After awhile I had plenty of friends and no village obligations, I did go on to eventually make a series of villages though. I guess I'm a control freak since village life annoys me unless I'm at the head of it, lol.

Anyway, just thought I'd share my thoughts on it. Different strokes for different folks, take any useful information from it and disregard the rest haha.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2012, 02:57:15 am »

Gearhead/Gearhead II lets you do a lot of stuff without forcing you into dungeon combat - it's easy to spend weeks or months making money and building robots and tinkering with mechs.  You can stick to arena fights and/or short quest fights for quite a while if that's different enough from "dungeon fighting" for you,  or not even do those if combat is completely unappealing.  You can't formally "win the game" without being in a couple of battles, but since you can recruit sidekicks and build insanely powerful robots to fight for you, you can just hang out in a corner while your minions do the dirty work.

And Expedition and Prospector both are at least possible to play mostly non-violently.

Princess Maker 2 is more of a "magic girl life sim", the combat is really secondary, in fact I'm pretty sure you can get through it all without fighting at all.

Maybe you want more of a life sim/rpg than a roguelike, there's a fair amount of those.  Jones in the Fast Lane is an oldie but a goodie, simple and fast.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2012, 03:07:05 am »

Jones in the Fast Lane as I found out is actually a board game done on the PC (and as a kid I didn't realise that). Also the Computer cheats like crazy (there are things only the CPU can do)

Princess Maker 2 has combat WAAAAY secondary... it is Tertiary and only three endings even use combat. Actually it is one of the more poorly implimented aspects of the game. You will pretty much be the battle goddess and easily fight through the kingdom tournament and any encounter in any dungeon WAY before you beat the hardest fight in the game. It makes combat hard to balance.
-Mind you they realised this too... I THINK Princess Maker 3, 4, and 5 actually have no combat aspect. Mind you they fixed it up by making it a lot more princess involved.

Mind you trying to get some endings without REALLY exploiting some dungeons is tough.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2012, 03:50:31 pm »

Oh yeah this little game is fun for at least an hour or 2 - Pachter from http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=74525.135 and http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=77261 get 002 from http://nam.siquo.net/download/ it shows the year and you can resize the farm plots.

RanDomino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2012, 05:19:35 pm »

Apparently someone's trying to make a Java port http://elona.wikia.com/wiki/Java_port_of_Elona

Haschel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2012, 06:02:16 pm »

Call me crazy, but it actually sounds like you want to play Harvest Moon... Aside from the turn based portion anyway.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2013, 01:35:27 am »

Call me crazy, but it actually sounds like you want to play Harvest Moon... Aside from the turn based portion anyway.
Harvest Moon is ok, but I think that the Rune Factory series is far superior, in that you can farm and talk to townsfolk and do all that junk, but you can forge swords and go to town on some bad guys in a dungeon.

I mean seriously, it's pretty awesome.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread
Pages: 1 [2]