Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 91

Author Topic: Stardew Valley - Harvest Moon type game for PC  (Read 441165 times)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
Re: Stardew Valley - Harvest Moon type game for PC
« Reply #135 on: September 22, 2013, 02:43:57 pm »

Wow, I just went and watched that trailer and this is very impressive. I remember reading about the upcoming game Harvest Moon in Nintendo Power magazine, months before it was released. I spent those months fantasizing about playing it. I tried to simulate for myself what it would be like, draw maps on graph paper of the farms I'd make, and design solitaire "farming" card games that I could play to scratch the itch. I don't know what it was exactly, but somehow the idea of the game combined with the aesthetic appearance turned me into an addict before I ever even tried it. It was such a new concept at the time - a game about farming! I had never seen anything like it and it was just what I had always wanted but didn't realize I wanted it. I still feel that way when I think about it, or look at similar images like this Stardew Valley game.

I remember buying it. My grandmother took me to the video game store the day it came out. It cost $60. She was very surprised at the price and told me I'd better actually play it. It turned out the difficult thing was to get me to stop and do things like go outside (still fashionable during the days of my youth). Every once in a while I still boot up an emulator and play for a bit. I'm constantly searching for similar games on the computer (especially MMO games, but those always have their own problems). This will be great!

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 09, 2013, 02:56:42 pm »

Skills, crabpots, and tree sap are in.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 09, 2013, 04:22:22 pm »

Stardew is indeed coming along nicely. I will likely buy two copies. I know someone else that will enjoy it.
I would buy 10000 copies if money would allow... :P
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 09, 2013, 04:27:42 pm »

If I didn't dislike the character graphics (not portraits those are great) I'd get myself a copy.

Dang I am shallow in this case. Though it is just a pet peeve of mine that I dislike RPG maker sprites.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 09, 2013, 06:42:40 pm »

The neck right?
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 09, 2013, 08:41:23 pm »

The neck right?

For me, it's that everything just looks so. . . generic. . .  I wanted to play Harvest Moon 64 because it was charming, not because I especially liked farming simulators or whatever.

I sincerely doubt I'll get this.  I keep on trying out games where I think "hey, I'll give it a shot," and I've been really disappointed.  Not saying it's bad or something, just that I don't think they're quite hitting the same market as Harvest Moon was tooling for.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 09, 2013, 08:52:26 pm »

Well after falling in love with DF and never tried borderland because the art didnt suits me ( wich i later tried and fell in love 0, i never base anything out of the graphics, art style and so on. As long there is good gameplay and good mecanics i dont care about everything, hell it could even be ANSCII for all i care and would still play.
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 09, 2013, 10:35:56 pm »

How have I not PTW yet? I really want this game.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 09, 2013, 11:42:24 pm »

The neck right?

For me, it's that everything just looks so. . . generic. . .  I wanted to play Harvest Moon 64 because it was charming, not because I especially liked farming simulators or whatever.

I sincerely doubt I'll get this.  I keep on trying out games where I think "hey, I'll give it a shot," and I've been really disappointed.  Not saying it's bad or something, just that I don't think they're quite hitting the same market as Harvest Moon was tooling for.

It's Harvest Moon and then some. This is not the game for you. Might I suggest Farmville?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 11:44:18 pm by BigD145 »

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 10, 2013, 12:22:05 am »

The neck right?

considering the Harvest Moon series is pretty much dead as there has not been any good releases for years now (New Beginnings still bothers me with the idiotic long tutorial and constant item forage grind). For a co-op game on pc with art style at least on par with old style Harvest Moon (GB and GBA i miss you so much), i'm hitting this up the moment it happens.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 10, 2013, 12:36:40 am »

Your "and then some" conveniently elides that it seems to lack all of the things I care about--much like Farmville, which is not only not charming, but manages to work its way over to putrid.  For reference, I hate The Sims, too.

What I see in the dev list is a lot of numbers.  "You can do THIS MANY x and OVER y MANY z."  To me, all of this means lots and lots of grinding in order to make something in a game that I'd rather just doodle out on paper.  Does it really add to the game to have a crafting system that big?  Does that much customizability add, or detract?  How about the lack of story-driven gameplay?  How does that interact with the genre?

In my opinion, the last good--perhaps the only good--Harvest Moon game was Harvest Moon 64, with Magical Melody making it into the "sort of okay" slot.  And, in my further humble opinion, the main thing bringing the series down is the urge to expand everything in size.  More vegetable types!  More vegetables in your plot!  Ten romance options, all as deep as seen in a game published 10 years ago!  Remove the border between farm and town so you can plant stuff pretty much anywhere!  More recipes!  More crafting!  A whole busy screenful of people and animals running around in way too little space!

Well, you know, that adds time to the game, sure, if you can make larger vegetable plots--and it adds time you can spend grinding things out to try each romance option, if not any further satisfaction--and removing that border makes your day last a lot longer, and makes your route a lot more circuitous--but is time really what you're looking for?

Let's be honest: I feel like they took a Harvest Moon game and are grafting all the things I hate most about Animal Crossing and Terraria onto it.  I don't feel this improves the Harvest Moon formula, really.  It just adds three games' worth of things I dislike, rather than only one.

Unfortunately, not everyone is going to share your enthusiasm, and I'm really frustrated because it seems like a lot of games I used to like are moving in this direction, rather than the opposite.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 10, 2013, 01:35:54 am »

Your "and then some" conveniently elides that it seems to lack all of the things I care about--much like Farmville, which is not only not charming, but manages to work its way over to putrid.  For reference, I hate The Sims, too.

What I see in the dev list is a lot of numbers.  "You can do THIS MANY x and OVER y MANY z."  To me, all of this means lots and lots of grinding in order to make something in a game that I'd rather just doodle out on paper.  Does it really add to the game to have a crafting system that big?  Does that much customizability add, or detract?  How about the lack of story-driven gameplay?  How does that interact with the genre?

In my opinion, the last good--perhaps the only good--Harvest Moon game was Harvest Moon 64, with Magical Melody making it into the "sort of okay" slot.  And, in my further humble opinion, the main thing bringing the series down is the urge to expand everything in size.  More vegetable types!  More vegetables in your plot!  Ten romance options, all as deep as seen in a game published 10 years ago!  Remove the border between farm and town so you can plant stuff pretty much anywhere!  More recipes!  More crafting!  A whole busy screenful of people and animals running around in way too little space!

Well, you know, that adds time to the game, sure, if you can make larger vegetable plots--and it adds time you can spend grinding things out to try each romance option, if not any further satisfaction--and removing that border makes your day last a lot longer, and makes your route a lot more circuitous--but is time really what you're looking for?

Let's be honest: I feel like they took a Harvest Moon game and are grafting all the things I hate most about Animal Crossing and Terraria onto it.  I don't feel this improves the Harvest Moon formula, really.  It just adds three games' worth of things I dislike, rather than only one.

Unfortunately, not everyone is going to share your enthusiasm, and I'm really frustrated because it seems like a lot of games I used to like are moving in this direction, rather than the opposite.
So you want harvest moon with only farming? but on the other hand you say you have to farm too much to do the romance? sorry i dont follow you o.O

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 10, 2013, 02:08:21 am »

Im confused with this too, i went far back into the series from the beginnings on SNES. The overall game was grinding to be the best. Whats wrong with them continuously adding more features that would keep people interested? I'm more mad to the fact that Natsume's execution with modernizing the game is horrible. None of it was well thought out. It took me 3 days before i got over the gripes with New Beginnings and I been having fun designing the town. I understand why they wanted to increase features into the game and its not like they thrown out the basis of the series like the fact YOU ARE A FARMER.

But anyways back to Stardew Valley. I been following this game ever since it first appeared on the internets. It already hit off the plugs of Harvest Moon with farming, npc relations, and such. Throwing in the quirkiness of the art trying to go back for 16bit style, i dunno what else the dev is doing wrong.
Theres adventuring in the game which brings along an element of Rune Factory were you could grind with the end of a sword. Note its not even focused on this infact YOU CAN SKIP it entirely.
It has legitimate Co-op so friends will actually be in your world and interact making it fun to show off and enjoy with.
SameSex Marriage, as much as it sounds absurd to some, everyone wants a bit of romance however they like it and Im glad the dev is tapping into that.
PC release, I would hope this game might reach out to mobile one of these days but being as a PC release theres huge exposure.

It's nice you can voice its a fail in your eyes but don't sit here and bring in the crowd behind. Obviously for this thread to exist, people are interested.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 02:09:53 am by Tellemurius »

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 10, 2013, 08:36:57 am »

I remeber reading the old article in nintendo power for the SNES Harvest Moon and falling in love. I never did get it (played on emulator years later), but I got the GBC version and fell in love. Harvest Moon 64, saddly, was the last one I really played to any degree, after that, they all felt so bleh. I'm so looking forward to this! I've seen the topic every now and again but for some reason never really looked at it until now. Also, did someone say coop?!?

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #149 on: October 10, 2013, 08:41:20 am »

My favourite Harvest Moon would be Friends of Mineral Town for the GBA. In general, I do think Harvest Moon is well suited to the pick up, play for a bit, put down nature of portable gaming. A bus journey here, a train journey there. Plus FoMT was basically a remake of Harvest Moon: Back To Nature, which was basically a remake of Harvest Moon 64...
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 91