Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: How to make programs think you're running a newer Windows?  (Read 10435 times)

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
How to make programs think you're running a newer Windows?
« on: September 27, 2012, 02:12:39 pm »

Specifically, I'm running XP x64 and want to make some stuff (specifically, Phantasy Star Online and Office 2010, both of which (and some other programs I can't remember right now) refuse to run on my system) think I've got Windows 7, which is a giant pile of shit, IMO. Is there any way to do it?

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to make programs think you're running a newer Windows?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 02:16:31 pm »

Yep, say way the Linux people do it - run the advanced OS in an emulation wrapper. Mind you, this might nor work for Phantasy start - graphics hardware interactions are always a bit messy. It should definitely work for office... but then, I can't think of a single reason for wanting to use Office 2010.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 02:18:04 pm »

but then, I can't think of a single reason for wanting to use Office 2010.
Formatting e-books which Writer refuses to stomach. Otherwise I wouldn't touch it either, believe me. :(

emulation wrapper
Could you please recommend some specific ones? Googles doesn't give me anything useful...
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 02:25:45 pm by Dariush »

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 03:26:37 pm »

Formatting e-books which Writer refuses to stomach. Otherwise I wouldn't touch it either, believe me. :(
Sigil is a free software EPUB editor, and Mobipocket Creator can be used for making ebooks in the Mobipocket format.

Did you want your ebooks in a different format?

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 04:13:42 am »

Sigil is a free software EPUB editor, and Mobipocket Creator can be used for making ebooks in the Mobipocket format.

Did you want your ebooks in a different format?
That wasn't my question, you know.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 04:58:37 am »

You realise they refuse to run on XP because they *can't* run on XP right?

They use APIs that only exist in later versions of Windows.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2012, 05:29:00 am »

You realise they refuse to run on XP because they *can't* run on XP right?

They use APIs that only exist in later versions of Windows.
Nope. Office 2010 can be installed, but after some serious hacking, while PSO can run on 32-bit XP, so that's definitely out.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2012, 08:10:55 am »

Well if it runs on XP 32-bit, can't you just put it in compatibility mode? It's probably mistakenly detecting XP x64 as Server 2003 (lots of software does, I used to run XP x64 myself).

(making it think you're running an earlier version of windows is much easier than a later one)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 08:14:02 am by Thief^ »
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2012, 09:07:38 am »

Well if it runs on XP 32-bit, can't you just put it in compatibility mode? It's probably mistakenly detecting XP x64 as Server 2003 (lots of software does, I used to run XP x64 myself).
Yep, tried that. Doesn't work.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2012, 09:22:08 am »

You'll just have to go without then. XP x64 was never a "home" OS.

You can't avoid updating Windows forever.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2012, 09:28:20 am »

You'll just have to go without then. XP x64 was never a "home" OS.

You can't avoid updating Windows forever.

Unless you switch to Linux.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2012, 09:37:02 am »

IF you have/get a license for win 7 you could load it in a virtual machine - either Virtualbox, VMware or the microsoft one whose name I forget.  Office should be fine with that, some programs like those that are super graphics heavy probably won't run so great.  It's worth a shot - I know Virtualbox has free versions and I'm pretty sure VMware does too...

If you don't want to buy a license just yet you can downnload the  windows 8 trial and use it for 90 days to see if the setup works, and even reload it every 90 days to keep using it...

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2012, 11:48:25 am »

I actually already have Win7 installed in VMWare. I don't want it. I want XP.

Unless you switch to Linux.
I would gladly, but I use faaar too many Win-only programs. :(

foil

• Bay Watcher
  • Yarr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2012, 01:09:26 pm »

Xp is a pile of crap these days unless you have an ancient pc, Even using a SP3 iso still needs over 100 updates before becoming semi safe.  Xp 64 is based on Server 2003 so has very limited app or games support and runs like crap being Microsofts 1st attempt at a 64 bit Os.

What is the specs of your pc that makes Win 7 run crap on it?  Or why do you need 64 bit Xp unless using more than 4GB ram and a large number of multi GB apps running at same time?

Xp is completely out of date and from a time before wifi or multi core cpu in home computers had been invented, Sure it runs fast but thats because minimum requirements are a 233 mhz cpu and 64 mb ram.  Only time Win 7 will run bad is when loaded with crap from the factory.  Its better to jump to Win 7 now or be completely in dark on NT6 by the time Win 8 becomes the norm.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2012, 01:40:25 pm »

Xp is a pile of crap these days unless you have an ancient pc, Even using a SP3 iso still needs over 100 updates before becoming semi safe.  Xp 64 is based on Server 2003 so has very limited app or games support and runs like crap being Microsofts 1st attempt at a 64 bit Os.

What is the specs of your pc that makes Win 7 run crap on it?  Or why do you need 64 bit Xp unless using more than 4GB ram and a large number of multi GB apps running at same time?

Xp is completely out of date and from a time before wifi or multi core cpu in home computers had been invented, Sure it runs fast but thats because minimum requirements are a 233 mhz cpu and 64 mb ram.  Only time Win 7 will run bad is when loaded with crap from the factory.  Its better to jump to Win 7 now or be completely in dark on NT6 by the time Win 8 becomes the norm.
...You don't really know what you're talking about, do you? Both XP and 7 run perfectly fine on my computer. The absolute majority of games (I'm playing brand-new Hawken alpha right now here) work faultlessly on XP. I hate 7 because its design is a pile of shit. The last couple of things that actually made me snap and revert to XP were: refusal to install unsigned drivers (thus forcing me to waste like half a day trying to install drivers that I already have because obviously MS Update doesn't have them, thus locking me out of using MY OWN HARDWARE); inability to display thumbnails on images; inability to pin folders to taskbar; butchering start menu into an unusable state; and, most importantly, not remembering the view settings for music folders, resetting the 'name' fields to like five centimeters in width each time I open a new folder. So no, speed isn't the only thing that matters in an OS. Surprise.
Pages: [1] 2 3