Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: How to make programs think you're running a newer Windows?  (Read 10432 times)

foil

• Bay Watcher
  • Yarr!
    • View Profile
Re: How to make programs think you're running a newer Windows?
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2012, 05:41:18 pm »

Xp is a pile of crap these days unless you have an ancient pc, Even using a SP3 iso still needs over 100 updates before becoming semi safe.  Xp 64 is based on Server 2003 so has very limited app or games support and runs like crap being Microsofts 1st attempt at a 64 bit Os.

What is the specs of your pc that makes Win 7 run crap on it?  Or why do you need 64 bit Xp unless using more than 4GB ram and a large number of multi GB apps running at same time?

Xp is completely out of date and from a time before wifi or multi core cpu in home computers had been invented, Sure it runs fast but thats because minimum requirements are a 233 mhz cpu and 64 mb ram.  Only time Win 7 will run bad is when loaded with crap from the factory.  Its better to jump to Win 7 now or be completely in dark on NT6 by the time Win 8 becomes the norm.
...You don't really know what you're talking about, do you? Both XP and 7 run perfectly fine on my computer. The absolute majority of games (I'm playing brand-new Hawken alpha right now here) work faultlessly on XP. I hate 7 because its design is a pile of shit. The last couple of things that actually made me snap and revert to XP were: refusal to install unsigned drivers (thus forcing me to waste like half a day trying to install drivers that I already have because obviously MS Update doesn't have them, thus locking me out of using MY OWN HARDWARE); inability to display thumbnails on images; inability to pin folders to taskbar; butchering start menu into an unusable state; and, most importantly, not remembering the view settings for music folders, resetting the 'name' fields to like five centimeters in width each time I open a new folder. So no, speed isn't the only thing that matters in an OS. Surprise.

Im sorry but i think its you that doesnt know what he's doing.

I have added many folder shortcuts onto my taskbar in Win 7 and every folder with majority pictures shows their thumbnail.  The start menu does the exact same job as the one on Xp except the menu doesnt pop out and theres an instant search box at the bottom.

As was stated earlier, Xp 64 bit was never designed as a Home Os and thats whats causing all these issues.  Things will only get worse in future using a 10 year Os.  The thing isnt even getting full updates any more or modern Internet Explorer so is full of security holes.

Xp isnt going to last forever and sticking with it when its this ancient will only make things more difficult when Win 8-9-10 comes out and Xp wont run on modern pc anymore.

Win 7 IS the next Xp and will be around for ages since nobody will want to upgrade to the Xbox menu based Win 8 crap.  Either jump onto Win 7 now or the only other step is going to Win 8 with its phone type interface, Which will be a much bigger shock than learning Win 7.

Also those brand new games you play will look poor and slow having to use DX9 from 10 years ago instead of DX10-11 that can use modern hardware properly.

I still use Xp on my old laptop but unless you have an ancient pc, Win 7 is the way to go.  I held off for as long as possible too sticking with Xp but theres just too many issues and compromises these days that its just not worth the hassle...  Takes hours to install and patch vs Win 7 20 min install and 10 mins updating.

Also how much ram u have in pc that you need 64 bit Windows and what hardware you having issues finding drivers for?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 05:51:49 pm by foil »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2012, 06:59:01 pm »

inability to display thumbnails on images; inability to pin folders to taskbar; butchering start menu into an unusable state; and, most importantly, not remembering the view settings for music folders, resetting the 'name' fields to like five centimeters in width each time I open a new folder. So no, speed isn't the only thing that matters in an OS. Surprise.

Yeah, I'm not sure what's up with this, but this is not how Windows 7 performs. Something else is seriously f'd up.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2012, 03:10:53 am »

I'd greatly appreciate it if people stopped trying to sway me to the abomination that is W7 and answered my original question. ;)

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2012, 05:16:24 am »

Related: How can I make my PC think it has a much larger hard drive?
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2012, 06:48:06 am »

I offered the easiest way to run those few apps you seemed to be complaining about that wouldn't run under xp-64 while letting you spend all the rest of your time in it's warm womb.   You are insisting on some kind of magic fairy dust to fix all your little complaints - that just is not going to happen.

bucket

• Bay Watcher
  • i am a bucket.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2012, 08:18:23 am »

I'd greatly appreciate it if people stopped trying to sway me to the abomination that is W7 and answered my original question. ;)
You run XP64 and you think SEVEN is a piece of crap?
It's no wonder no one wants to help you.

If you need to "trick" applications into running on your system, they're never going to run well. XP64 has no place in the world, and negates any advantage of using an OS in the twilight of its existence. I need you need to take another look at what's causing your Win7 woes. Very little has changed "just because". It's faster, more stable and makes more sense.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2012, 09:24:27 am »

I kind of sympathize with MOST of his feelings, heck I'm still running XP on my main machine - for a few more days.  I used to be the "wheee brand new version of windows, load it up!  Let's go excitement OH GOD THE PAIN" now I try to skip every other generation AND only switch well after SP1 is out and digested.  So now win 7 is gonna be my new safe harbor for the unavoidable windows stuff.  This worked out superbly so far letting me skip the incomparable joys of Windows-ME and Vista.  AND thanks to nifty VM technology I will even be able to bring forward an (almost) perfect copy of the whole old XP system just in case I want to check something I used to do, without needing to find and reload the 200+ programs that found their way onto there over the years.

But now it's time for new hardware and OS, the last tricks I used to extend the old rig's life are being overcome by the crushing requirements of apps (y u use 6 gigs of memory chrome? ram makers pay u? Yeah I do have too many tabs open) and games, even though I'm not a big "current fps/rts" gamer.  And new goodies that just won't run on old OS - you can delay the pain of switching for a while but not forever.  At least I know the new combo will work well for what I do,  VMs = being able to keep linux and win7 VMs open and only a mouse click to switch, and separate sandboxed web surfing.  And be able to fire up any weird OS combo some picky program insists on without risking the stable working setup.

But yea XP64 died unloved by anybody except the tiny few who needed it for some specific app - way too much of the mainstream stuff never got updated to be compatible.  That 32/64 app struggle STILL isn't 100% solved...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2012, 09:40:30 am »

I'm not trying to convince you to use it. But you're hating on Win 7 for stuff that we're telling you isn't the OS's fault. And considering how many hack jobs you seem willing to try, my guess is it runs that way because of something you've done. Not because that's how Win 7 works.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

foil

• Bay Watcher
  • Yarr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2012, 05:48:23 pm »

Only real option is to use Xp 32 bit and loose anything over 4GB ram.  Tho if the pc is that old it doesnt run Win 7 properly then it wouldnt need more than 4GB ram, which then makes using Xp 64 pointless anyways.  Xp 64 was a stopgap workstation os to get devs early access to 64 bit platforms when Vista got delayed and was never designed for home/general usage.

Either go back to Xp 32 or Win 7 to get rid of these niche Os issues that dont exist on either side of Xp 64.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2012, 01:59:39 am »

Its not gonna happen. XP 64bit had barely any support back in the old days. You can't do it as programs check the type of windows installer and the kernel version, unless you can pull off spoof its not gonna work and you will have more problems too than just that. We are suggesting Win7 as you would have less of of a gripe than with vista. I dunno what your problems are with 7 but maybe you should have ASKed a tech to help your problems ;/

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2012, 11:49:34 am »

I kind of sympathize with MOST of his feelings, heck I'm still running XP on my main machine - for a few more days.  I used to be the "wheee brand new version of windows, load it up!  Let's go excitement OH GOD THE PAIN" now I try to skip every other generation AND only switch well after SP1 is out and digested.  So now win 7 is gonna be my new safe harbor for the unavoidable windows stuff.  This worked out superbly so far letting me skip the incomparable joys of Windows-ME and Vista.  AND thanks to nifty VM technology I will even be able to bring forward an (almost) perfect copy of the whole old XP system just in case I want to check something I used to do, without needing to find and reload the 200+ programs that found their way onto there over the years.

But now it's time for new hardware and OS, the last tricks I used to extend the old rig's life are being overcome by the crushing requirements of apps (y u use 6 gigs of memory chrome? ram makers pay u? Yeah I do have too many tabs open) and games, even though I'm not a big "current fps/rts" gamer.  And new goodies that just won't run on old OS - you can delay the pain of switching for a while but not forever.  At least I know the new combo will work well for what I do,  VMs = being able to keep linux and win7 VMs open and only a mouse click to switch, and separate sandboxed web surfing.  And be able to fire up any weird OS combo some picky program insists on without risking the stable working setup.

But yea XP64 died unloved by anybody except the tiny few who needed it for some specific app - way too much of the mainstream stuff never got updated to be compatible.  That 32/64 app struggle STILL isn't 100% solved...
+1
I feel the same way, except his pc is awesome compared to mine.
512MB ram...
no video card...
1 Gigahertz...
SHIT IT BURNS

Anyways, I agree with this guy.
This too.

The Watcher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2012, 05:49:46 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This too.
From what I see the OP basically refuse all the only answers to his question, and is looking for a panacea that doesn't exist
I can only think of either VMware or Win 7 for running a Win 7 programming, because generally you don't write forward support into programs or OSes.

cikulisu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2012, 01:52:37 am »

you are basically looking for something that does not exist OP. sorry. your violent hatred of XP+ operating systems is a little odd. but that is the answer to the question i think. honestly, even if you could spoof it into running against it's will, it may just not work at all considering newer programs have dependencies that XP won't have built-in. but yeah.

Khorne

• Bay Watcher
  • The one and only Blood God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2012, 05:47:20 pm »

I have no experience in how to make programs think you're running a newer Windows. But I will voice my opinion, Windows 7 is your only hope even if you hate it. You are hanging onto the past, and soon you will not be able to do anything without Windows 8 9 10 2091. Yes yes I know you hate Windows 7, hang onto the past, but it won't last long.
This is my signature. Notice how it is all clean and bloodless? Well a sacrifice of Men Women or Space Marines will help me put blood on this signature,
-Khrone 2013.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2012, 05:57:15 pm »

So yeah, you guys care too much, so I'll elaborate on what Thief^ said, which should have closed this topic and saved all the pointless XP-hate. Disclaimer: I've switched to windows 7. It works ok. But really, guys?

You may be able to install a Windows 7-only application, because the installer 'shell' was made for XP-and-up, but it's very unlikely you'll be able to run it without a dll-wrapper that doesn't really exist (yet). It's looking for functions that come packaged with 7 (or just renamed functions that are in XP but which might as well be non-existent to the program), and unless you have equivalent libraries, you won't get very far. Linux has this with Wine, and someone would need to do the same for XP. There's unfortunately much less demand.

Also, a VM would be unlikely to handle 7 -and- Phantasy Star Online at any playable speed. It'd probably do Office, but it's probably easier just to install a dual-boot. 7, for once, plays nicely with other Windows installs and makes this ridiculously simple. Here's a tutorial. If you insist on a VM for whatever reason, VirtualBox by Oracle is free. That's about it for the pros, the cons are that it's slow, like any VM will most likely be in XP. I haven't tried VMWare's, because it's not free. There aren't really any other big ones.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 06:04:33 pm by Eagleon »
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044
Pages: 1 [2] 3