Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: The FACTS about Adamantine (SPOILERS)  (Read 14035 times)

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
The FACTS about Adamantine (SPOILERS)
« on: September 26, 2012, 11:10:12 am »

At some point, an unlikeable person may come to inquire about what adamantine is.
Quote from: Unlikeable Person
omgg!!11!!!!! y does nobody tel me what "canndy" or "circus" is!!!! MY DADY IS A LAW YER and he will SUE ALL OF U if u DONT TELL ME ABOUT CANDY
This thread exists so we can link it to those people. We all concoct ridiculous fibs about adamantine, hell, demonic fortresses, slade, and whathaveyou so that we can weaponize these lies into a Noob-Vaporizing Cannon (please remember the difference between newbs and noobs - we are going to be nice to the newbs). Remember, keep it consistent. "This is a legit source!"

Once we have built up enough lies, I remove this little disclaimer up here and the thread is locked (not really locked, mind you) and loaded. Now we can safely doom anyone who really makes themselves hateable on these forums - but use it sparingly and don't link to people who are really learning. Please also avoid saying "This is a bunch of lies! Look it up on the wiki!" because this is for people who really need a free trip to the circus badly.

~~~~~~~~~~

Dwarf Fortress has many secrets in it, some more dangerous than others. You may notice that, at the metalsmith's forge, you can see "adamantine" as a metal option. What is this mystery metal? What is the "circus" some people may mention? This thread has all the answers in one convenient place.

Adamantine/Candy
Raw adamantine is a rock that occurs in tubes found deep underground, rarely penetrating the lowest caverns. It can be refined into adamantine strands by Strand Extractors at a Craftsdwarf's Workshop, then the strands can be converted into wafers at a smelter or woven into glittering, pure adamantine cloth at a loom. However, it also carries a curse... adamantine is so valuable, even refining it will drive your Created Wealth through the roof, which can attract multiple goblin sieges at once (the "circus"). Fortunately, your army should have adamantine weapons to deal with them. Adamantine is odd stuff - while it forms a terrible edge, it is so dense that adamantine warhammers can send a goblin flying 100 meters even in the hands of a novice. Since it's so dull, it makes a great material to make spikes out of for use in "Danger Rooms" - training near such valuable objects will make your dwarves happy while they dodge the harmless dull sticks pointing out of the ground.

Demons/Clowns
What's all this about demons, then? Well, demons exist as randomly-generated worldgen figures. They will "escape from the underworld" and proceed to kill things and create havoc, usually settling down as false gods or goblin leaders. Yes, goblin leaders... the same goblins that are sieging you because of all your wealth! A few demons will arrive with these sieges, and they have terrifying powers so concentrate your defenses on the surface. This is why adamantine is considered a "cursed" metal: many newly-established forts attract much more military force than they can handle from the goblins.

Raw Adamantine Tubes: The Danger
Those tubes are actually hollow inside... and they drip infinite magma from the top as soon as you open them! They slowly fill up before magma perpetually floods out of the opening you've made in them, flooding everything below with magma. For this reason, it is essential to breach these tubes from the lowest point possible, so that the least amount of raw adamantine is flooded and inaccessible. Successful players typically start at the bottom and work their way up so they mine all the adamantine: once the tube is totally gone, the magma flow will stop.

Demonic Fortresses/Circus Tents
Deep underground, you may find a mysterious room with a single, perfect adamantine weapon in the center. This is even more dangerous than refining normal adamantine, because that weapon will be artifact quality and picking it up will raise your wealth by at least half a million dwarf-bucks. And what's worse, undead will crawl out of the hole you pulled the weapon out of! They're slow and rotten, but there are a lot of them so send everyone you can down there to head them off - even civilians will typically kill them, but the more fighters the less danger there is. Send your forces down before the weapon is pulled, or else they will wander up the stairs and destroy your buildings! Even worse, these zombies, if they happen to touch a corpse, will pass on their undeadness to it, raising more zombies against you. You must fight them off before they reach your boneyards.
My wooden badge was delicious.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: The FACTS about Adamantine (SPOILERS)
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 12:05:26 pm »

(please remember the difference between newbs and noobs - we are going to be nice to the newbs)
For the sake of semantics... There's no difference. Both mean the same thing, new players :)

Bla bla candy nom nom nom
"Danger Rooms" - training near such valuable objects will make your dwarves happy while they dodge the harmless dull sticks pointing out of the ground.
Pah, danger rooms are exploity as atom smashers. True Dwarves make pure adamantine shield dorf squads. It's all about the shield bashing damage. Best part? Smashy shields that are MAGMA proof. Let no goblin bones be unbroken.

~OR~

Make candy strands and get your legendary clothier to make everyone candy cloaks, socks, hoods, tunics, trousers...

Demons/Clowns
This is why adamantine is considered a "cursed" metal: many newly-established forts attract much more military force than they can handle from the goblins.

Cursed? Fun :D

Seriously, even a small dining room set up in a fully engraved spire can skyrocket your fortress's wealth and total Dorf happiness levels.

Raw Adamantine Tubes: The Danger
Those tubes are actually hollow inside... and they drip infinite magma from the top as soon as you open them!

IIRC if you dig carefully no infinite magma'll flow through. What I think you're talking about is the magma sea - basically, you want to dig through the spire where you know there's at least a 2x2 core of candy, leaving a roughly 4x4 shell of candy around the spire to protect from magma.

Successful players typically start at the bottom and work their way up so they mine all the adamantine: once the tube is totally gone, the magma flow will stop.
Well this is just plain wrong. As long as you don't breach into the sea you'll be fine. If you find yourself lacking candy, just dig deeper. The spire gets wider the deeper you get. Eventually you reach the slade layers, by then you can dig all the candy walls in peace without fear from magma flooding.

Even worse, these zombies, if they happen to touch a corpse, will pass on their undeadness to it, raising more zombies against you. You must fight them off before they reach your boneyards.
What? Naw, but the undead do occasionally come back to life in the tents. So yeah, be careful, it's pretty much a small scale evil biome in there. I'd advise luring the zombies out before you claim the weapon, then send in the military. That pretty much keeps your Dorfs safe for wave 2.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 12:08:20 pm »

Goomba, I may have my disagreements with you (mainly regarding space), but this is a brilliant idea. There are alot of confusion on adamantine, with even some vets having disagreements.

You forgot to mention that If adamantine is revelaed for more then 2 years without being completely mined it all turns into galena. Useless, Useless Galena. As long as you dig to the slade layers though, you should be fine. Besides, then You'll find more Adamantine then!

Did you know that adamantine thread can be used for suturing, and it makes dwarves be super military machines? Yeah, most players don't.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 12:14:56 pm »

Did you know that adamantine thread can be used for suturing, and it makes dwarves be super military machines? Yeah, most players don't.
Meh, it's mainly cosmetic. But who doesn't love a bit of Dorf bling bling?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 02:37:13 pm by Loud Whispers »

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 12:21:13 pm »

So, Any other useful info on Candy? Come on people, Help out our friends.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 12:27:28 pm by misko27 »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 12:26:05 pm »

Candy doors. Dragonfire proof and nigh on indestructible.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 12:54:24 pm by Loud Whispers »

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2012, 12:43:19 pm »

I forgot about the actual tube dynamics, duh :-[ The ones I tested were exposed cavern ones, but those ones totally generate differently :(

Thanks for the help, though :)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2012, 12:59:03 pm »

So, Any other useful info on Candy? Come on people, Help out our friends.
So, galena, where'd that originate from?
In the orginal 23a version, defeating the demon-led hordes that appeared in adventure mode would, in fact, do this. 

Besides galena isn't the best source of silver. Its great if you happen to need lead, but 50/50 chance is not a reason to use it over, say native silver. Its its all you got, yeah, but still.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 10:03:17 pm by misko27 »

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2012, 01:06:42 pm »

Where'd the demon come out of in the old one? I've never played it.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2012, 01:16:23 pm »

Where'd the demon come out of in the old one? I've never played it.
Oh, it didn't, you just got a generic "Contact was lost with the settlement" message. You can understand why he changed. much more fun to watch them actually come and kill everyone. And, of course, stop it.

So, Thats how it works with the galena. Anyway, I always dig i all up as soon as I find it anyway, because then I can smelt it into Hammers to defeat the goblins. That may be the best way, Dig it all out at once, then smelt it into hammers.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 10:04:13 pm by misko27 »

PaleBlueHammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2012, 01:22:16 pm »

If adamantine is revelaed for more then 2 years without being completely mined it all turns into galena. Useless, Useless Galena.

Oh, mind if I siggy this?

Because people will need to be reminded.
Quote from: misko27
If adamantine is revealed for more then 2 years without being completely mined it all turns into galena. Useless, Useless Galena.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2012, 01:24:59 pm »

If adamantine is revelaed for more then 2 years without being completely mined it all turns into galena. Useless, Useless Galena.

Oh, mind if I siggy this?

Because people will need to be reminded.
Sure, go ahead, Important to help out the cause.

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished System Administrator
    • View Profile
    • cDusto (my personal server)
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2012, 02:01:23 pm »

The hollow core of the spire is possible to avoid - it is a 2x2 hollow space which is continuous along z-lvls - it will move at most one tile in any direction going up or down. All dwarves who see this hollow core instantly become legendary+5 in their best stat - similar to a mood, but faster and not material dependant. Note that this can also apply to non-moodable skills, so try to keep your potash makers away from the stuff but keep your weaponsmiths close by at all times.

It is recommended to have a water source nearby to obsidianify any magma that arrives from breaching the tube.

EDIT: This does not apply to military skills, but it will apply to any civilian skills your military might have. Beware that this might trigger a bug where the military will refuse to follow orders. I don't remember the Mantis number, but use of the bug tracker's Search function will turn up details.

EDIT: Removed keyword
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 03:59:48 pm by TruePikachu »
He likes Pokémon, composing ≡«☼characters☼»≡, Windows for its compatability, Linux for its security, and Pikachu for its electric capabilities. When possible, he prefers to consume pasta. He absolutely detests Apple.

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2012, 02:02:37 pm »

This is all a bunch of lies...
My father is a lawyer, and I'm going to sue all of you.
NOW TELL ME WHERE'S THE CANDY!!!!!

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished System Administrator
    • View Profile
    • cDusto (my personal server)
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2012, 02:05:23 pm »

This is all a bunch of lies...
My father is a lawyer, and I'm going to sue all of you.
NOW TELL ME WHERE'S THE <redacted>!!!!!

Ask again at the end of next month.

EDIT: Removed keyword
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 04:00:39 pm by TruePikachu »
He likes Pokémon, composing ≡«☼characters☼»≡, Windows for its compatability, Linux for its security, and Pikachu for its electric capabilities. When possible, he prefers to consume pasta. He absolutely detests Apple.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5