Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: The FACTS about Adamantine (SPOILERS)  (Read 14332 times)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: The FACTS about Adamantine (SPOILERS)
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2012, 02:10:34 pm »

This is all a bunch of lies...
My father is a lawyer, and I'm going to sue all of you.
NOW TELL ME WHERE'S THE CANDY!!!!!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Stop polluting this thread with nonsense.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2012, 02:27:07 pm »

Adamantine spires are the best places to make dining rooms in, due to the massive floor value modifier.
Remember to make it a meeting hall for maximum happiness!
However, they are very bad places to put nobles' rooms in, as all nobles are chronically afraid of the colour light blue.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 02:30:54 pm by TopHat »
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2012, 02:34:29 pm »

No, no no.
They are PERFECT places to put noble's rooms. RIGHT in the middle.
Put them in the nice slade castles specifically.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2012, 02:38:02 pm »

Wait, what's slade? I haven't heard anything about it... can you guys fill me in? :)
My wooden badge was delicious.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2012, 02:40:53 pm »

Slade can be found sometimes, but rarely, near adamantine. It is a very hard mineral that can however be mined with adamantine picks, and nothing else. In spite of its resistance, it is a very light material. In order to make armors, weapon and miscellaneous stuff out of it, you'll need to build a workshop with adamantine blocks, because they are the only thing strong enough to allow you to work it (just like magma-proof stones are necessary for forges). Build a workshop in advance, just in case you stumble upon slade, so you can use it right away, before it gets flooded in magma.
[...] as all nobles are chronically afraid of the colour light blue.
So true it hurts.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2012, 02:50:08 pm »

Wait, what's slade? I haven't heard anything about it... can you guys fill me in? :)
Quasi-undiggable black stone that makes for a good mug. It's the only stone in the game that's treated as a metal and a stone, so be sure to dig everything you can. Which is to say, only currently possible with exploits.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2012, 02:56:21 pm »

No, no no.
They are PERFECT places to put noble's rooms. RIGHT in the middle.
Put them in the nice slade castles specifically.
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2012, 02:57:12 pm »

Ah, but they don't KNOW that, do they?
Wait until they panic about the nobles dying like swine.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2012, 03:44:22 pm »

It's the only stone in the game that's treated as a metal and a stone
Er, that was fixed over 2 years ago - version 0.31.13 changed slade to only be classified as a stone.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2012, 03:46:44 pm »

I can't believe no one's mentioned this yet.

If you mine out ALL the candy, you unlock a secret hidden Multiplayer Mode, and you can siege other players. 

I think there needs to be a general DF thread similar to this one.  "I bet you didn't know those letter I's on the map stand for Inspiration, and if you embark near one, your dwarves will never again produce crappy artifacts!"
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 03:50:03 pm by Nyxalinth »
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Kumquat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2012, 04:26:35 pm »

There's one thing about Adamantine cloth that most people don't know - it is completely impervious to those annoying spreading poisons. The problem is to get a whole set of clothing as you need to get the whole dwarf covered up. Easiest way for this would be to have adamantine cloak, veil and socks, but dwarf civilizations usually don't have veils because dwarfs have beards.

Another thing is that water from a well made with an adamantine bucket will never be stale or contaminated.

PaleBlueHammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2012, 04:58:13 pm »

"I bet you didn't know those letter I's on the map stand for Inspiration, and if you embark near one, your dwarves will never again produce crappy artifacts!"

Yes but this is hax, almost.  I had an entire squad fitted with artifact steel short swords, fer cryin out loud.
Quote from: misko27
If adamantine is revealed for more then 2 years without being completely mined it all turns into galena. Useless, Useless Galena.

MasterShizzle

• Bay Watcher
  • Constantly in a fey mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2012, 05:45:54 pm »

You should mention above: It's helpful to move your main operations down closer to the adamantine pillars. Move your meeting hall, food storage, bedrooms, barracks, everything, move it down into the candy pillar, keeping your dwarves as close to the hollow opening as possible. Your dwarves will get happy thoughts like never before, the deeper the better.

Adamantine, as stated above, is even more dense than other metals and can be hazardous for untrained dwarves to work with. Dwarves have been known to drop wafers and cause cave-ins, so when mining your precious candy (especially around the hollow part) be sure to only use dwarves that are Legendary, even if their Legendary skill is not in Mining. Untrained dwarves are bound to make more dangerous mistakes. Mining candy is an honor reserved for your most prestigious of dwarves.

Finally, adamantine is somewhat unstable when exposed to air from the upper levels. Try your best to mine it out quickly, getting the deepest stuff first, then working your way back up the pillar. A miner can dig a shaft of up-ramps in a single tile straight down, which is MUCH faster and more efficient than digging stairs. Use staircases only when digging your way back up.
Boss is throwing a tantrum!
MasterShizzle cancels Play Dwarf Fortress: interrupted by Boss

Minecraft's fine, your computer just sucks.

Inindo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2012, 07:16:07 pm »

Meh, it's mainly cosmetic. But who doesn't love a bit of Dorf bling bling?
It depends a lot on where the dwarf gets stitched. Getting his finger stitched is going to armor just his finger, not very useful.  Getting his torso or arm stitched however, can be very useful.

Note: It's only the adamantite stitching that's effective.  Adamantite cloth dressing is a complete waste as far as I can see.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2012, 07:21:07 pm »

There's one thing about Adamantine cloth that most people don't know - it is completely impervious to those annoying spreading poisons. The problem is to get a whole set of clothing as you need to get the whole dwarf covered up. Easiest way for this would be to have adamantine cloak, veil and socks, but dwarf civilizations usually don't have veils because dwarfs have beards.

Another thing is that water from a well made with an adamantine bucket will never be stale or contaminated.
No no, he's Right here.

But, of course, making clothes is still a little worse of a idea then then making hammers of it. I mean, it'd be a little sad to be fighting off a army without addy hammers, especially considering how many will start coming once you have the stuff.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5