Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15

Author Topic: Trees, man.  (Read 35627 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Trees, man.
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2012, 01:00:00 pm »

I'm /hoping/ that he will implement it in such a way that, when 'chopped', a tree 'falls' away from the woodcutter but must then still be chopped up into usable logs. So it would become a sort of horizontal version of its standing self and can then be chopped up or just becomes items ready to be hauled away.
On a side note, woodcutters now crushing fortresses left and right as trees fall on top of them. ;)
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2012, 01:02:04 pm »

I KNEW IT THE TREES ARE OUT TO GET US

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2012, 01:03:12 pm »

I quite like the idea of 'Dwarven Lumberjacking' actually involving digging beneath the tree and then removing a key support causing it to crash into the depths.

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2012, 01:14:56 pm »

Multi-level trees and fruit?  Badass.

However, I can't make sense of the screenshots.  It's going to take me a while to "see" the trees.  Right now I just see a bunch of walls and pillars, now I have to train myself to see them as "trees".

RenoFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2012, 01:56:21 pm »

Ever since I heard multi tile trees were coming at some point in the future, I have wanted to make watchtowers by digging a staircase in the center of the trees trunk. I hope felling trees turns them into long horizontal caveins, since that seems like the most natural way to do it.

If the trees keep growing after world gen, I think they could avoid breaking buildings in them by simply turning some leaf tiles into branches and branches into thicker branches. Any constructions at the top of the pentagon treetop tiles would still be in danger though.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2012, 02:23:58 pm »

Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2012, 02:26:43 pm »

Nice look, and I'm rather looking forward to it.  I wonder if trees will die if you tunnel out their roots, or if the roots will themselves grow into your fortress. 

dreadmullet

• Bay Watcher
  • Inadequate Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2012, 02:29:29 pm »

I'm all for the tree felling idea. I have high hopes that Toady won't make it like Minecraft or something, and that trees will actually fall on their side. I can imagine that the process involves designating one tree, and designating which direction it should fall. Low level woodcutters have a chance of felling it in the opposite direction. Trees disasterously falling on dwarves/animals/constructions will be so much !!FUN!!

Exlo

• Bay Watcher
  • Retirement homes are for lobsters!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2012, 02:40:06 pm »

I'm all for the tree felling idea. I have high hopes that Toady won't make it like Minecraft or something, and that trees will actually fall on their side. I can imagine that the process involves designating one tree, and designating which direction it should fall. Low level woodcutters have a chance of felling it in the opposite direction. Trees disasterously falling on dwarves/animals/constructions will be so much !!FUN!!

That would be absolutely amazing. Tree felling would give us limitless options for weaponizing them. I'm mulling over all the new and ironic ways to kill off elves as we speak.

Which just reminded me - elf sites are back! We'll crush them with their own houses! :D
Clearly, this represents six side-by-side wheelbarrows, as indicated by the right half of the icon.  The left half indicates they are carrying babies with hats in these wheelbarrows.

Presumably, they are lining up to dump them into the baby furnaces.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2012, 02:56:08 pm »

Adventure mode tree felling escapades.

Canadark

• Bay Watcher
  • meet me in the mead hall
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2012, 04:21:18 pm »

Ever since I heard multi tile trees were coming at some point in the future, I have wanted to make watchtowers by digging a staircase in the center of the trees trunk. I hope felling trees turns them into long horizontal caveins, since that seems like the most natural way to do it.

If the trees keep growing after world gen, I think they could avoid breaking buildings in them by simply turning some leaf tiles into branches and branches into thicker branches. Any constructions at the top of the pentagon treetop tiles would still be in danger though.

I'm looking at the pictures right now. Some of the trees' trunks are at least six z-levels high. I'm sure they will be navigable so you could create a tree fort like something from Endor. If what you suggested is true, how do you think Dwarfs will be able to hollow out the tree? Will the wood inside be usable? Would the tree whither and die? It will be interesting to see.
You all do know that we everytime we gen a world in DF, a new universe is created somewhere, and everytime we delete a save we kill a whole world?
Aye, we are Armok, god of blood, evil, villager gutting, fortress building, legend making and elf thongs.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2012, 04:24:16 pm »

Relevant:
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-11402-trees_slope

I uploaded the second one onto DFMA, so you can all see what the trees look like sideways.

Anyway, I'm most curious about weaponization. I bet we can light them on fire then tip them on oncoming sieges. Holy shit next release will be epic.
This makes sense. I can already imagine entire embarks wiped out by idiots.

Note: Tree farms will need to be reworked. Damn. That'll take some time. On that note, will this be the end of trees growing for no reason in our passage ways?
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2012, 04:37:03 pm »

The first tree-related bug Toady will "accidentally" let slip through: giant mushrooms pushing through layers of rock, destroying precious gems and ores while also making your halls unwanderable.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2012, 04:42:11 pm »

The trees didn't choose Elves, the Elves choose them. The whole hatred of trees because Elves worship them is like disliking Dogs in real life because Hitler owned one. Elves are simply a race of short, pointy eared, immortal creatures that worship trees. While Elves themselves are horrible creatures, basing hate because they like trees is, well, baseless. A fort could not survive without some form of trees; and before you say mushrooms, I believe Elves count them as trees.

Now excuse me as I try to figure out a way to become magma proof from the incoming shouts of blasphemy and attempted magma executions.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

Kumquat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2012, 04:48:25 pm »

Fruit trees?

The spinning mango hits Urist McHerbalist in the head though a *cave spider silk hood* crushing the skull and jamming the brain!
Urist McHerbalist has been struck down.

Your fortress has succumbed to a tantrum spiral.

Fun.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15