Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: In the apocalypse, would your home region survive?  (Read 12967 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: In the apocalypse, would your home region survive?
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2012, 07:07:09 am »

Utah:

Actually could probably survive decently enough. Sure 90% of the population would die but the remaining could go back to farming to stay alive.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2012, 08:23:51 am »

We could probably even expand, what with the relatively large area used for agriculture plus our abundance of iron. Of course the economy would collapse, but that would be the least of anybody's problems who isn't a professional banker or something like that.

Oh wait...

DarkWolfXV

• Bay Watcher
  • Infernally rotten to the gore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2012, 09:02:56 am »

Poland:
Pro: None?
Con: Total shithole, shitty infrastructure except few bigger cities, shitty communication, only natural resources are coal and salt, copper, tin and lead, shitty healthcare, imported gas from Russia, shitty government, shitty education system, no common sense and majority of people are catholic (The really bad type of catholic) so we are knee deep in shit.
Goats will ignore your grass and eat the neighbours' roses. They're just evil bastards like that.
Probably thats why they are used with pentagrams on covers of Satanic Black Metal albums.
BURNING SHIT AND EATING ROOSESSSSSS DDOFOFAOAARRRAHYYYE

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2012, 09:14:45 am »

North Carolina: Tossup. We've got a lot of heavy conservatives in the rural areas who would love to destroy all sense of progress if they could. Most of our local agriculture is tobacco and cotton, so that's not good. Most of the edible agriculture is sweet potatoes. Lots of pigs, but I doubt we could keep that going if everyone else vanished. I foresee a lot of breakaways outside of the urbanized regions. Nuclear power wouldn't last long without a uranium supply, but domestic coal would.

Boone: Survival likely. Not a lot of people to feed, lots of wilderness, and ASU provides wind and solar power that could definitely be put into overdrive. Biggest problem would be political. ASU is very liberal, Boone natives are very conservative. Its like throwing together base and acid if things start to go bad.

Raleigh: Screwed. Most of the city will have to leave or starve.
Yeah, we might have to ration electricity for a while, but eventually we could get convoys going up into (now-empty) West Virginia to get at that coal. Agriculturally, we'd be all good. We have enough pork and turkey to feed the whole state multiple times over. Plus a good amount of corn and sweet potatoes. Tobacco would have to go, though...we need that land for more useful crops. We'd also have a number of excellent universities with advanced research equipment and RTP to figure out what the fuck happened and start rebuilding the Empire of Carolina.

Raleigh and Charlotte (and Greensboro and Winston-Salem) would have to disperse into the surrounding countryside, but there'd be a surprising amount of agriculture available within a relatively short distance.

Carrboro wouldn't even notice, since it's basically one big hippie/artist commune that all grow their own organic crops and wear hemp to begin with. :P

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2012, 09:24:17 am »

UK:
Pro:North Sea Oil, decent centres of learning, few guns, stable government, the whole of Europe to expand into, coastal.
Con:High population density, reliance on imports, weak industry, reliance on finance.

When we have snowfall over the winter our whole country grinds to a standstill. Somehow I doubt we'd manage better in an apocalypse.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2012, 09:36:33 am »

Bosnia:
Pro: almost all of our energy comes from hydroelectric and coal plants, and we have lots of coal. We also have various metal ores and the facilities to smelt them. And more lumber than you can shake a stick at.
Con: Nowhere near enough agricultural land, since we're a mountainous country. More importantly, we're not exactly doing a stellar job of maintaining civilization with the international community beating us into shape, I shudder to imagine what it'd devolve into without external political pressure.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2012, 09:41:26 am »

There's also kind of that whole massive ethnic conflict thing. That could definitely present a problem with everyone else gone.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2012, 09:54:10 am »

Maybe, maybe not. Why fight a genocidal civil war when you suddenly have all that empty real estate in neighboring countries available?

(Or did I miss something where it's not just the people outside your region that are gone, it's the EVERYTHING outside your region?)

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Mimidormi

• Bay Watcher
  • Magnetite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2012, 10:45:06 am »

Italy:

Eh, this is a tough one. Next to no natural resources, relatively few farmers per capita.
Most likely to survive, as one would expect, are the folks in rural places near national breadbaskets. People in major urban centers (such as me) almost certain to die to riots/starvation. Hefty death toll even in the best case scenario.
Many tyrants finally overthrown, .. perhaps only to be succeeded by new tyrants. Old tensions and grudges never forgotten turning into civil war. If we manage to survive the devolution into city states we could even try to expand.

That's a big if.

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2012, 10:45:51 am »

Lousiana.  If it's down to us, say bye-bye to human civilization.

Pro:  We have local food production (rice, wild/farmed seafood, etc.) within the state.

Con:  If we're talking a zombie apocalypse or an S. M. Stirling Change situation where the lights go out for good, we won't be able to actually harvest/process/distribute the crops, let alone keep production going.

Pro:  We learned a lot from Katrina.  (Levee failures.  Levee failures.  LEVEE FAILURES, BITCHES.)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Pro:  There are some decent human beings here.  We won't immediate descend into rape and cannibalism.  Since Katrina, less of our National Guard troops are off in that explode-y sandbox called Iraq.  (Driving north in the days after was at once heartening and horrifying:  Yay, they're going to help!  WTF?  It's been over three freaking days now, and they're only just passing us in Tennessee?)

Con:  Our government is corrupt and inept and generally rotten to the core.  At every level.  In every party.  I have no faith whatsoever in any ability of the government to maintain order, long-term, in the absence of the feds.  And as bad as government is...  the cops are worse.  A few small communities have decent forces; the NOPD sucks.  It sucks worse than you'd believe; I've actually had to deal with them as a professional.  I cannot overstate how very, very much the NOPD sucks.  I'd give them less than a year After Apocalypse to either abandon their duty and disband, or turn into a junta-type militia.

Pro:  Lots of local energy production.

Con:  The oil and natural gas industry doesn't run itself.  Since we're talking localized survival, this might not include the oil platforms in the Gulf of Mexico, and we'd be stuck with the fracking adventures in northern Louisiana.  A lot of the personnel personally involved in the industry are no longer located in the New Orleans area, and are in Houston or farther abroad.  Keeping the spice gas flowing would depend on us having enough of the people needed to keep it going, and we'd have to keep the platform workers happy, which would be hard if we can't even get food out to them.  We have the knowledge, but it's fractured among various contractors and Entergy, and for them to consolidate in the face of zombies or what have you, they'd have to be supported and protected while doing their thing.  See above con about incompetent government and rotten cops.

Pro:  Skills.  We still have a good chunk of energy industry professionals, and some good medical schools, and LSU has a nice Ag Dept.

Con:  There's no respect for intellectuals here.  Bobby Jindal is a vile, smarmy little shit who's carrying out a campaign of systematic destruction against anything that looks vaguely like a public hospital.  Unless this apocalypse happens tomorrow, we'll be fucked.

Pro:  Labor.  Some energy industry professionals live here.  Post-Katrina, we've had a boom in Latino immigrant labor, legal and not.  We have some people with knowledge and skills, and some with truly terrifying work ethics.

Con:  Legality and communication with day laborers.  Lots of racial tensions here.  Getting everyone to work together would be iffy.

Pro:  Southern Louisiana is a low-lying, swampy area...  wait, my bad; that's a con.

Con:  Southern Louisiana is a low-lying, swampy area.  We rely on levees and pumps to keep our homes dry, and keep the Mississippi River from making the natural changes in its course that would have occurred by now otherwise.  In an apocalypse scenario, even managed in the best way possible, maintaining this control over the water level would likely be impossible in the long term.

Some people would survive.  Those used to the heat, those living rural--they'd have the best odds.  They wouldn't be overrun by zombies/starving refugees.

In the end, however, we'd almost all die.  Energy, social issues, food--forget all that.  We've got mosquitoes.  We've got a shit ton of mosquitoes--and that's with the government regularly spraying all the neighborhoods with pesticides from government vehicles.

Malaria.  Yellow Fever.  West Nile.  We might not even have to wait for the cholera.  I'd put money it, if money would be worth anything after the apocalypse.  :P
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2012, 10:46:08 am »

(Or did I miss something where it's not just the people outside your region that are gone, it's the EVERYTHING outside your region?)
Infrastructure etc. is still there if I got that right.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2012, 10:46:44 am »

Connecticut:  Only the subbase has a shot.  Otherwise were all poor urbane or scatter farmers (or rich exclusionists).  Would be food though.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2012, 11:10:16 am »

France :

We're probably going to be fine. We already produce a lot of food, our cities aren't really car-dependent, and if we ever need something else, well there's the rest of Europe around us, and we can just walk there.

The biggest if is always energy. I don't know what resources France and its immediate neighbors have (we can always just settle in now-desert Germany for coal or something). I know we use a lot of nuclear for electricity, but I don't know how much reserves we have. But we probably have enough to send people to Niger or wherever nuclear-related ore is so we can start digging again.
France has it own uranium deposits and mines.

Belgium

Pro
-Nuclear power can remain operational for long enough to restore supplies
-Mineral wealthy regions nearby that can be colonized, thanks to our central location in Europe
-High pop density
-Metalworking industry in the South

Con
-Non self sufficient on:
        -Food
        -Oil
        -Natural gas
-Science based economy in the North
-Trade and transport based economy

Really, it all depends on how fast we can colonize the surroundings.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2012, 12:24:01 pm »

-Metalworking industry in the South
You no touch iron!

Oh wait, I guess we'd be gone too wouldn't we.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2012, 12:36:15 pm »

Really, it depends on what apoacalypse this is. Nuclear? Societatal collapse? Meteor coming to earth? OP doesn't say.  NYC might have alot left over in fallout shelters (Most  people don't notice, but NYC has alot of fallout shelters.), but maybe not. It depends on alot.
This is exactly why I made it unspecified happenstance with no lasting consequences and zero survivors. Nobody is left. That's it.
My wooden badge was delicious.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9