Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9

Author Topic: In the apocalypse, would your home region survive?  (Read 12961 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: In the apocalypse, would your home region survive?
« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2012, 12:38:21 pm »

... if there are no human survivors whatsoever, then on what basis do we rate "survival of a region"?

nvm. Reading comprehension for the win.

I'm betting on "survival with wants" for my home region.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 12:40:00 pm by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2012, 12:39:15 pm »

... if there are no human survivors whatsoever, then on what basis do we rate "survival of a region"?
No survivors except those in your region.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2012, 12:44:12 pm »

I'd like a forum game based off something like this.

a small group of us on a world where there are no other people outside our country/state/what-have-you.
if someone makes one, count me in!
Stop giving me ideas for forum games I don't have time to run.

((That was meant to life in general.))

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2012, 12:46:23 pm »

Utah:

Actually could probably survive decently enough. Sure 90% of the population would die but the remaining could go back to farming to stay alive.
dude with all of the emergency supply markets around here and how half my neighbors are lock and loaded, shit goes down and i expect no one would give two fucks over other than keeping the door lock and continuing life well contended.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 24, 2012, 01:05:52 pm »

Pfft that food storage silliness would only last a couple years.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 24, 2012, 01:08:03 pm »

This is true.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 24, 2012, 01:10:38 pm »

Arizona: We would probably suffer from a large amount of problems right at the beginning due to a loss of food, but after that we would probably get along just fine. I mean we have access to large amount of power production (dams/hydroelectric) and we have enough rivers to provide water for everyone for a while. We also have enough of a native american population (38% of the nation's indian reservations are in Az) that there is knowledge there that would be a potential to relearn some of the "older" farming techniques quick enough to stabilize.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 24, 2012, 02:12:16 pm »

I imagine that we would be quite screwed up here in Sweden. Sure, we have tons of advanced technology, but farming isn't the greatest thing here. Might have to do some bartering with the Danes to make it all the way through post-apocalyptia.
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2012, 02:34:37 pm »

By definition of the word "apocalypse" I'd say no.  I'm at the edge of a rapidly spreading metropolitan area, I don't rate our ability to transition back to subsistence farming very highly.
Shoes...

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 24, 2012, 02:59:11 pm »

To be honest, I am so out in the sticks rural here on my lil Welsh mountainside, it would be hard to notice if the human race had been wiped out. Life would continue as normal up here, just my lil cluster of houses and farms, surrounded by apocalyptic shenanigans. Plenty of farm animals for food and use as beasts of burden, some arable land, abundant fresh lake water, pine forests for fuel and building material. The higher than average farmer and outdoorsman population will help no end.
This is a blank sig.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 24, 2012, 03:17:32 pm »

Arizona: We would probably suffer from a large amount of problems right at the beginning due to a loss of food, but after that we would probably get along just fine. I mean we have access to large amount of power production (dams/hydroelectric) and we have enough rivers to provide water for everyone for a while. We also have enough of a native american population (38% of the nation's indian reservations are in Az) that there is knowledge there that would be a potential to relearn some of the "older" farming techniques quick enough to stabilize.
But you'll never get to any of that once Emperor Arpaio puts everyone in death camps.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 24, 2012, 03:45:14 pm »

But you'll never get to any of that once Emperor Arpaio puts everyone in death camps.
Pink death camps. Yeah, I'm not sure Arizona would be any scarier before or after the apocalypse. I guess after, only because the Federal government wouldn't be there to blunt the kookiest ideas.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Svarte Troner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 24, 2012, 08:48:42 pm »

Pennsylvania: Everyone beyond Philadelphia are gun-toting rednecks. Personally, I'd go out to Lancaster and join the Amish.
That metal guy that pops up sometimes in places
To put it simply, Dwarf Fortress is the Black Metal of video games.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 25, 2012, 01:29:01 am »

UK:
Pro:North Sea Oil, decent centres of learning, few guns, stable government, the whole of Europe to expand into, coastal.
Con:High population density, reliance on imports, weak industry, reliance on finance.

When we have snowfall over the winter our whole country grinds to a standstill. Somehow I doubt we'd manage better in an apocalypse.
Depends if it was snowing in the apocalypse or not. You do have a point.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 25, 2012, 03:11:35 am »

Michigan:

Pros:
- Hydroelectric, Wind, Solar and Geothermal Power are gaining serious traction in the area. We make wind turbines here.
- What amounts to a small ocean of fresh water in the surrounding area.
- Huge amounts of fishing, hunting and logging, as well as farming area.
- The Upper Peninsula is full of metal, such as copper, iron and gold.
- The Lower Peninsula is full of shale and oil sands, which we are currently turning into fuel.
- Several large military bases make aid simple.
- Manufacturing would go through the freakin' roof, especially automobiles (to get at the rest of the nation's goodies,) and still probably not reach full capacity.
- Large swaths of undisturbed wild areas make for a peaceful getaway during the apocalypse.
- People are used to harsh weather and shitty infrastructure.

Cons:
- Detroit. However, the rioting and panic would probably tear Detroit in half after about a week.
- Governor Snyder would instantly claim control of the entire world. He would shortly thereafter be assassinated.
- Seriously bad infrastructure. Bridges falling apart merit about 1 day's worth of attention on the local news as it sits now.
- Crazy prepared and well armed nutjobs that don't play well with others - the Michigan Militia.
- Roving biker gangs. The Iron Coffins are firmly entrenched here. Most of them are alright doodz, though.
- Great Lakes becoming more and more polluted. Booming industry would not help matters.
- Nuclear power plants (Palisades, Cook, Fermi) would have to be shut down. Palisades is already falling apart.
- Many people would immediately leave and spread out across the US/Canada, possibly the entire world. The population is doomed. If we survive, it will be at the Stone Age level.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 10:28:47 am by MaximumZero »

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9