Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Kosothtulon, the Toll-Gate Fortress: A Whole New World  (Read 2988 times)

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
Re: Abantath, the Toll-Gate Fortress
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2012, 03:41:46 pm »

Well, then if you upload, I can try.
But what's the problem that prevents you from cave-in method? Absence of mechanisms? Use risky way of deconstructing

I like pump method more. here's the design:
step one. Dig channel holes with 2 tiles between them:
######
#_##_#
######
######
#_##_#
######

easily spanned to larger sizes

Step 2. Setup a pump from one hole into another and order to operate it.

Step 3. Block the leakage. Either smooth outer walls around the drained hole, or dig and construct them one by one - not at once since it increases water input:
######
#_##~#
######
######
#~##~#
######

Green ones should be replaces with constructed walls or smoothed

steps 4-etc - dismount the pump, drain another hole. since you left inner tiles with aquifer, it still absorbs water.
When all outer tiles are finished, dig stairs and go one level down.

Maybe I will record the process if you pass the save.
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2012, 04:16:02 pm »

I think I have an idea of what you're saying. I'll try to save my double-slit first.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2012, 06:27:26 pm »

I'm currently trying to wall off the aquifer. Not easy, as the design seems to have assumed that I could drain the aquifer into the next layer...And I might not have enough wood...

-----

Felsite
So far, so bad. We've had zero progress. It's gotten so bad, I've resorted to prayers in hopes of something happening...

-----

Screw it, I suck at aquifers, I'm downloading DFhack for the first-ever time. Well, except that time it came with a mod, but I didn't use it except to see what I could do. It ended with a volcano overflowing.
Come to think of it, I didn't use the mod much either.

-----

Huzzah! Our prayers have been answered! The edges of the staircase were replaced with obsidian! I feel a twinge of guilt, but ignore it. Sadly, the miners seem to want to avoid the area for some reason.

-----

Okay, what the heck did I do? Why is the area still listed as warm despite the absence of magma?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2012, 08:19:56 pm »

Ah, that's the problem, the miners were busy.

-----

The miners got over their superstition and mined as requested. Sadly, the obsidian walls seemed to be leaking water...hell.

-----

I'm this close to giving up on the fortress and resettling somewhere on the road without an aquifer...To the Modding subforum!

EDIT: Fixed! But why was there a dry layer between aquifers...
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 08:41:45 pm by GreatWyrmGold »
Sig

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2012, 08:46:59 pm »

That's it, that's it, I'm giving up and moving the fortress to somewhere without aquifers!
Sig

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stakuddakas, the Toll-Gate Fortress: Let's try again, without aquifers!
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2012, 09:10:29 pm »

Alright, I restarted. I'll post an update ASAP, which probably means tomorrow because I'm on a shared computer.
Sig

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2012, 09:19:14 pm »

Noooooo!   And I kinda thought you were omnipresent... like a wyrmGod?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

NESgamer190

• Bay Watcher
  • Crundle hugger
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2012, 08:47:56 am »

I think I can understand your restart of the fortress due to those accursed aquifers...  Even I think they're more evil than a necromancer siege, teamed up with a goblin siege, elven siege, and human siege, fit with a bronze colossus, roc, dragon, hydra, and hidden fun stuff coming at the fort at once, along with a crundle surviving a 10-disk trap!

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2012, 09:45:22 am »

Aquifers are great, actually. Have you ever tried to punch a hole into ocean's bottom leading into aquifer?
It looks... wonderful!
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2012, 10:14:53 am »

Aquifers are evil. Only comment.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

DavionFuxa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2012, 08:05:45 pm »

Alright, I restarted. I'll post an update ASAP, which probably means tomorrow because I'm on a shared computer.

Does this mean that you will be making a new topic for the restarted fortress, or will you continue to do so in here?
A Google Doc I wrote up in regards to making a new 'workable' definition for the Roguelike Genre:
Defining the Roguelike Genre

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2012, 08:17:34 pm »

I renamed the topic, take a guess.
I haven't been able to play, but I can write.

-----

We have been chosen to found a gate-fortress to the southernmost edge of the Mountainhomes, to help protect against smugglers and sieges. There is sand and clay, and abundant traders coming through. I have no doubt that life here will be long and prosperous.

-----

Until I can at least load DF, that's all I got.
Sig

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2012, 11:44:09 pm »

--Journal of GreatWyrmTin, Granite 177

We've found a nice little place here, on the road and in a little depression, just big enough for a depot. We have two pairs of goats, three turkey hens and a turkey gobbler, and a pair each of horses, dogs, and cats, along with standard supplies. The plan: Settle near the magma sea, minecart down sand, profit from glass. Short-term: Find magma.
There is a porcupine near our settlement.
On the 11th of Granite, a cavern with a magma pool was discovered! What luck!
[Sidenote: My first magma pool, except for volcanoes and one that was in the third cavern layer.]
By the end of the month, the miners have taken a brief break to celebrate with some alcohol and dug to within 30 feet of the upper boundaries of the caverns and within a couple hundred feet of the magma.
Sig

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2012, 01:19:17 pm »

Whose idea was it to put all of my DF stuff on one flash drive and not make backuos?
Oh, right, mine.

If I can, I'll rescue the fort. If not, I'll restart one with the same concept. Unless I forget.
Sig

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2012, 02:11:29 pm »

email yourself compress files if your host let's you.  Everything I do on low sized games get emailed to myself.  And all my schoolworks.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4