Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Kosothtulon, the Toll-Gate Fortress: A Whole New World  (Read 2983 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Kosothtulon, the Toll-Gate Fortress: A Whole New World
« on: September 19, 2012, 09:46:29 pm »

I settled a fortress on a bridge, in a wasteland, near a necromancer tower (like, one region tile away). The world has no elves but seems otherwise normal. I'm using vanilla and hope to minimize exploits.

GOALS and CHALLENGES:
Feel free to suggest more, but I reserve the right to ignore them.
    Create a gatehouse on the road,
ideally near the bridge, to theoretically allow the dwarves to charge tolls to passers-by. This gatehouse should include the trade depot.
Create a thriving glass industry (the wasteland hills have tons of red sand and some black sand, too). Supplement this with pottery.
Find some way to require trade for good fortress function, probably involving a minimal metal industry.
[/list]

You may, of course, request dwarves.

And now let's begin. Again. NOTE: Due to aquifer issues, the first attempt at this was abandoned.

-----

Sandstone 17, 175
Welcome to the red desert! I'm GreatWyrmGold, your glorious leader!
What do dwarves love? Metal! But there's a bunch of problems with making metal yourself; you need to mine ore, get fuel, smelt, forge...so much work. Much easier to buy metal off of others' work. So, here's the plan. We've been told to settle somewhere in this "rocky" wasteland. I have a destination in mind:A road through the desert, between two human nations. Here, the road crosses a river just north of a small waterfall. The scenic location and hope of easy wealth will attract settlers, while the road will attract traders who will bring precious metal to us, no work required!
There's only one downside: There's this crazy dwarf nearby with a bunch of apprentices and a bug bunch of creepy servants. I'm sure we have nothing to worry about, but we're going to keep a low profile just in case.
One last thing, they say there's an aquifer here. We'll do the best we can with the wagon and what wood there is around to break through it.

---

Granite 1, 176
We made it, right on time!
There's the road, a not-particularly-visible band of sand, indistinguishable from the surrounding sand. There's the bridge, made of chert blocks, and the waterfall, almost 100 yards downstream of the bridge. We park the wagon within several feet of the river's east bank and 150 feet north of the bridge. Around 400 feet east of the bridge is a hill where I think would make a good entrance. Maybe we could set up the gatehouse on the bridge and have a tunnel leading there. Meh, that's a worry for the future. Anyways, we're slaughtering the horses as soon as we have the setup--there's no grass around and we're almost out of fodder. Other supplies are low, too--four barrels and a bit of each type of alcohol, a few barrels of meat and fish, a barrel of plump helmets, some seeds, and various other supplies, including lye for soapmaking. We probably should have brought wood or stone, but it's too late now. Ah well. We're going to make a grand opening hall, twenty-five feet across and ten feet high, carved out of the sand with fine dwarvish digging! Then we'll dig down to find the aquifer and go through it. But that's the future, and this is now. Now, we need to celebrate. We'll just about finish some of the mostly-empty alcohol barrels and crack open the last cask of salted draltha spleen. Then, we must...
STRIKE! THE! EARTH!

-----

I'll update as often as I can play.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 09:30:14 pm by GreatWyrmGold »
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Abantath, the Toll-Gate Fortress
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 10:42:52 pm »

(Continued from previous journal page)
Alright, one of the first things we noticed was a green patch over the river. It has a couple dozen cacti big enough to use as wood and some pasture we can put the horses in for a while. Still going to slaughter them; not much a pair of male horses can be used for except food.
A herd of hippos saw us next to them and fled the river. Their presence frightens the woodcutter, also a fisher, whose name is Rith. My real name is Aban (it means "Construct"), but everyone calls me GreatWyrmGold because my avarice is supposed to be comparable to a great dragon's.

Within a week, we have a meeting area set up and we've found clay. Maybe the clay will be useful for a secondary pottery industry.

The aquifer is soon discovered. Thankfully, it is shallow.
Within a week and a half, we run out of wood to cut. This is bad. I hope we have enough...

By the end of Granite, most of our supplies are inside and we have the components for a pump. We're about to begin piercing the aquifer!
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 07:32:26 am »

Dorfing request!
Gar, glassmaker, jeweller or miner. Should be responsible for setting clear glass industry.

"Imagine a wandering goblin cut in pieces by haze and a flash of sunlight. That's why you should install clear glass discs."
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 07:38:46 am »

I hereby humbly request Dorfing!
Name: Noobazzah
Preferrably a cannon fodder militiadwarf.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2012, 08:20:34 am »

I request dorfing! I shall be Furst, a lye/soapmaker under the impression hes a full doctor. Also under the impression hes the Overseer. Hes very impressionable.

Custom Profession: Wackjob
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012, 08:32:13 am »

Dworf me!
Name: pisskop

Make 'em a macedwarf.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

NESgamer190

• Bay Watcher
  • Crundle hugger
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2012, 09:29:15 am »

I'll certainly take a dwarf for this wasteland expedition.
Name:  NESgamer
Profession:  Woodsdwarf

DavionFuxa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2012, 02:56:02 pm »

I'll take a Dwarf
Name: Davion
Profession: The Other Cannon Fodder Militadwarf
A Google Doc I wrote up in regards to making a new 'workable' definition for the Roguelike Genre:
Defining the Roguelike Genre

lwCoyote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2012, 03:49:11 pm »

Please dwarf me when you get a free migrant! Coyote, a toll-keeper (erm.. marksdwarf!) :D
This is an exceptional obsidian statue of Daral Darkscab.
The item is an exceptionally designed image of Daral Darkscab the dwarf and a slag bar (massive) in obsidian by Ksoth Lolorumril. Daral Darkscab is raising the slag bar (massive). The artwork relates to the masterful slag bar (massive) created by the dwarf Daral Darkscab for the Corridor of Matyrs at Monstergores in the late spring of 312.

I'm so glad my masons have chosen to memorialize the really important events.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2012, 04:10:22 pm »

Me! A diagnoser, if you please.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2012, 04:12:18 pm »

Please dorf me
hopefully as a pump operator
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2012, 07:01:11 pm »

I didn't expect this much activity...
I'll dorf you guys ASAP. NESgamer190 should get a dwarf instantly, and I might be able to give the miners to peregarrett and NAV. NES, is a woodcutter fine, and NAV, is a miner who's being told to operate pumps right now fine?

Most of the others should be coming in a couple migrant waves. I'll try to get an update out tonight.
Sig

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2012, 10:01:58 pm »

FYI, I wouldn't bet on any clear glass. We have...limited wood. Maybe if I retroactively mod in a reaction to turn vermin remains into ash...

-----

Slate
A few notes on my fellow dwarves. There is one, one of the miners and also a mason, who wants to be called "NAV". The other miner, also a carpenter, wants everyone to call her peregarret and wants to make clear glass traps. I let peregarret know that clear glass ANYTHING is a long-term project. The third dwarf requesting a new name is the woodcutter and fisher, who wants to be called "NESgamer190." What strange names!
An issue is swiftly discovered with our "double-slit" method; the pump is pumping faster than the slit absorbs! A channel is made to help fix this problem. It fails, but on the bright side NAV is learning how to swim! On the dark side, getting NAV to pump while peregarret to dig was nigh impossible, and there are STILL issues with NAV getting swept down stairs! Clearly the guide* needs to have some fixes made.
Around the 20th, I decided to spend the spare mining effort on some farmland. This project is soon stopped by peregarret waking up, and a continuation of the aquifer project is attempted. Progress is slow, so I assign more pump operators. I consider handing this over to some other skilled overseer...

-----

OOC: Does anyone want to take the fort for long enough to pierce the aquifer? I REALLY don't get what I'm supposed to be doing right now with the double-slit method, and kinda suck at this sort of aquifer-piercing. In short...who wants to give it a shot?

*Wiki
Sig

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2012, 02:20:17 am »

You want us to design piercing system, or just to take the save and do the job?
I could get a try, I think.
Also, when we reach caverns, wood won't be a problem. And caravans usually bring quite a lot.
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2012, 03:20:50 pm »

Either way. Save might be better, but a better picture or something would be simpler.

And a future supply of wood is nice, but I'm not sure if we have enough to wall off the aquifer...
Sig
Pages: [1] 2 3 4