Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Upcoming EPIC release?  (Read 7118 times)

Aerval

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Upcoming EPIC release?
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2012, 08:34:06 pm »

Could add to that as well :

*Children (and other prisoners I guess) can now be rescued from captivity.
*Judging from the screenshoots Goblins now tunnel properly underground and make their own den under their fortress.
*Trees occupying more than one tile in height (so I guess trees might now give more wood when felled).

There's a lot of things coming in the upcoming release, I'm really thrilled about it :D
Children being rescued from captivity tying in with more quest variety, and goblin tunnels tying in with the new sites. However, I did miss the multi-tile tree things, I will add that.
To be honest, rescuing prisoners is no new feature, you can already do that (For example when you find a human child in a goblin site, you can ask that child whether it would like to accompany you. It then just gets a normal companion). I think what is new about that is that you now can free childs that have been part of earlier forts (thus they are historical) and a rewrite of the release framework (part of quests, companions for limited time etc.)

Gokajern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2012, 10:38:13 pm »

The last update says that the elvenhomes will include climbing and jumping. Does that mean jumping will be implemented?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2012, 10:47:04 pm »

No, jumping will be added without being implemented.

Multi-tile trees are my favorite bit of that post, although that might be in part because of the thread I started about discussing such trees. I had noted that they'd probably be added soon. I was right!
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2012, 02:51:43 am »

Multi tile trees sound nice...especially since after that the next natural step is multi tile animals and...whatever else needs more tiles. That will definitely change the look and feel of DF.

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2012, 12:46:32 pm »

Multi tile trees sound nice...especially since after that the next natural step is multi tile animals and...whatever else needs more tiles. That will definitely change the look and feel of DF.
Tree houses Forest fires!
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.

reality.auditor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2012, 06:36:22 am »

Multi tile trees sound nice...especially since after that the next natural step is multi tile animals
Nope, one have nothing to do with other. Trees are static features. At most, they can grow, but cannot move.
Are weapons like the least lethal thing in DF?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2012, 07:08:15 am »

The Toad is wise. It might not be now, but some tree code might end up in the multi-tile-creature code.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2012, 09:33:20 am »

I'm very interested in seeing how jumping will feature into combat. I want to be able to climb up a tree, wait for a bandit to walk by, and leap down onto him, preferably stabbing him in some vital area.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

malvado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2012, 05:55:58 pm »

I'm very interested in seeing how jumping will feature into combat. I want to be able to climb up a tree, wait for a bandit to walk by, and leap down onto him, preferably stabbing him in some vital area.
Imagine an jumping strike with a 2h sword from above! Might slice the bandit in 2!
I guess Trees that are more than 1 tile high will be a new threat for dwarven woodcutters ! Tree ohoi! Splatt! Urist McClown Woodcutter has been splattered by an tree.

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2012, 06:12:29 pm »

Imagine an jumping strike with a 2h sword from above! Might slice the bandit in 2!
I guess Trees that are more than 1 tile high will be a new threat for dwarven woodcutters ! Tree ohoi! Splatt! Urist McClown Woodcutter has been splattered by an tree.

Would probably be a good incentive to let your unskilled woodcutters practice on smaller trees first before cutting into the 4x4 tiles wide and 27 tiles high redwood tree nearby (if redwoods or similarly sized trees happen to be added). Would be loads of Fun though I guess :D

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2012, 01:05:16 am »

Activating the world is what I'm most excited for.  Sleeping in some hamlet and waking up to a goblin raid would be awesome, not to mention we'll now have opportunities to be a real hero and save people for once.

That, and with nonlethal combat and criminals in towns I can be batman batdwarf.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2012, 06:09:21 am »

My question, I wonder how well the world could possibly react to the Adventurer. Lets suppose, that an adventurer gets a wild hair up its ass weaken or destroy a Fort near the border.

Since, it was a random act of the player, how can the world know that that site is now gone, with respecting giving entities imperfect knowledge. If it was tied to a say a Quest then the world has a pretense to acknowledge the change and disseminate the information imperfectly. 

Ideally what would happen, is that it would require refuge or messengers to run to the next site and daisy chain the information until it reached an authority figure or several authority figures, with each daisy chain, the information growing more corrupted. And you can use something like this, to have the Country be informed and react to the site, and for the neighboring country to be informed and react to the site. 

But I really dont think any of that is easy to pull off.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2012, 06:23:58 am »

My question, I wonder how well the world could possibly react to the Adventurer. Lets suppose, that an adventurer gets a wild hair up its ass weaken or destroy a Fort near the border.

Since, it was a random act of the player, how can the world know that that site is now gone, with respecting giving entities imperfect knowledge. If it was tied to a say a Quest then the world has a pretense to acknowledge the change and disseminate the information imperfectly. 

Ideally what would happen, is that it would require refuge or messengers to run to the next site and daisy chain the information until it reached an authority figure or several authority figures, with each daisy chain, the information growing more corrupted. And you can use something like this, to have the Country be informed and react to the site, and for the neighboring country to be informed and react to the site. 

But I really dont think any of that is easy to pull off.

Maybe it would be possible to set a trigger for the population to flee and abandon a site if a set percentage of the guards and citizens are killed off (or some other suitable condition being fulfilled) that would set off the same world responses as when goblins attack and sack a town :>

Volfgarix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2012, 07:02:07 am »

Wait? Jumping? If trolls and giants get possibility to jump over the walls... well... we are screwed.

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2012, 07:20:49 am »

Wait? Jumping? If trolls and giants get possibility to jump over the walls... well... we are screwed.

Just need to build higher walls then. And even if they can't jump over it I assume giants will be able to just walk over low walls when they're made multi-tile at some point ^^
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4