Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Bay12 Hive mind (formerly Toady's botnet)  (Read 1585 times)

BinaryBeast1010011010

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bay12 Hive mind (formerly Toady's botnet)
« on: September 14, 2012, 02:22:08 pm »

Lately I was reading some code, when it struck me... If toady was an evil individual he could have backdoored all the systems running dwarf fortress to create some giant botnet since the code isnt open source no one can tell... I dismissed the thought with a mental wave of the hand (baaah, he isnt the kind of individual to do this, and someone would have noticed) then it struck me (yes again) that he has backdoored... Our minds!
think about it, hasnt been df running in your mind like a daemon? Sometime you think about it you dont know why, things IRL remind you of it... And when you are idle (asleep) its still running : look at the dream topics! He didnt even bother with a rootkit, his plan is so perfect... Lately I saw interest arise in subjects such as the Bay12 space program (which I should have applied to since I can count some hours on orbiter traveling to other planets, mastering the slingshot process, the reentry and that kind of thing, brainfreeze if you read me and it isnt too late, I would gladly join) and members flock around these projects, isnt that another proof that there is some kind of "globalbay12 brain", does it think by itself? or is there a puppetmaster... Or should I say a puppettoadmaster?

So what is he planning to do with his bots? when (if he didnt already) will he set them in motion? and how...

(maybe the proof that I am truely infected is that I have no problem with that)...
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 06:19:45 am by BinaryBeast1010011010 »
cant stop playing DF?
 : (){ :|:& };:

Sprin

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Sprin Dragon, Master of Madness!
    • View Profile
Re: Toady's botnet
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 02:26:55 pm »

We all know it we just dont care.
(Intresting tho)
Quote from: Karnewarrior
HOW DID YOU KNOW I WAS LOOKING UP RULE 34 OF D*CKS?
Sprin is certifiably insane, but there is no denying his brilliance.

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 02:32:36 pm »

One of us. One of us. One of us. One of us! ONE OF US!

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 02:34:22 pm »

Bah, I doubt that the brilliant and complex inner workings of my immaculate mind are comprehensible to even the great Toady One, so I have nothing to worry about.

Oh, and as the president of the Bay 12 Space Program, I personally welcome you aboard.

Rtyh-C

• Bay Watcher
  • Slaughtering elves in low Earth orbit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 02:43:32 pm »

What? I am part of the Bay 12 Hivemind? I am but a mere puppet in the hands of the Great Toady One? AWESOME!
By that logic, you shouldn't be able to play dwarves because they don't show thinking ability.

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012, 03:03:05 pm »

What? I am part of the Bay 12 Hivemind? I am but a mere puppet in the hands of the Great Toady One? AWESOME!
I now realise my mind is just another game of Dwarf Fortress.
This would also explain my large taste for alcohol.
And cave adaption.
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 03:09:35 pm »

I am suddenly sure that this is true.
Every collective Bay12 effort gets a lot more dedicated attention than you would probably expect elsewhere.

And the sudden turning for the sexual of Bay12 is just Toady testing some new methods of mind control.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 04:41:54 pm »

It's okay, nobody can be brainwashed. Only other people can. You yourself know that you're much too smart to fall for that, right?
My wooden badge was delicious.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2012, 04:43:10 pm »

It's okay, nobody can be brainwashed. Only other people can. You yourself know that you're much too smart to fall for that, right?
I think you overestimate how smart I know I am.
I'm an easily manipulable moron. To the point where I pretty much agree with everyone over anything as they say it, unless I already had a strong view on it. And even sometimes then.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2012, 07:02:53 pm »

I'm an easily manipulable moron. To the point where I pretty much agree with everyone over anything as they say it, unless I already had a strong view on it. And even sometimes then.
Wow, you should watch out for people like me in RL. I can manipulate people something mind-boggling. I'm too nice to use it for anything but getting out of trouble.

DF running in the back of my mind? nahh, Thats just normal. The only appreciable affect Its had on me is a intense joy over my cats neuteredness.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2012, 07:08:13 pm »

Wow, you should watch out for people like me in RL. I can manipulate people something mind-boggling. I'm too nice to use it for anything but getting out of trouble.
It's like a double edged sword.
I'm easily convinced that other people are right, but I am amazing at lying because I can convince myself that my lie is true. And things like that. I just have to throw my lies in first before anyone else can work any trickery at me.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2012, 10:00:40 pm »

No, I've always had a fondness for mining, architecture, and egotistical megalomaniacs who 'stick it to the man'. DF is the only thing that put them all together in one irrefutable system.

Metal, magma, and philosophy. What else do you need?

Seriously though, Toady one is doing what he wants to do and doing a damn good job at it. Deep down, we all wish we could be like him.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2012, 11:52:49 pm »

I'm easily convinced that other people are right, but I am amazing at lying because I can convince myself that my lie is true. And things like that. I just have to throw my lies in first before anyone else can work any trickery at me.
I'm not refering to that. I's easy to tell when someones lying. You just need to go through what the person logically expects you to want, and how similar it is to real life. Theres also alot of intution. Lying is always obvious.

Now, what most people don't realize is obvious in conflation of the truth. The truth can be warped into a more useful answer. It hard to describe, but lying is obviously bull, but the truth, defuses it somehow. And really, all you need is to know what someone expects is the truth. It is about someones perception of reality, and how you can abuse it. Whether or not you believe your own story is irrelevant, save for obvious tells. Its all about content ad how you deliver it. I can almost always spin a perfectly posssible Lie almost instantly, with the absolute most realistic delivery ever, Because, I think about what I would be expected by the individual to say in these given circumstances.

I should teach a course on this.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

thiosk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2012, 12:41:53 am »

Who is  to say we weren't all already brainwashed by Peter Molyneux?
Is dwarf fortress not simply an artifact level dungeon keeper, in which dungeon keeper is but of the most basic level?

THE SEED WAS PLANTED

BinaryBeast1010011010

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2012, 06:19:03 am »

I'm not refering to that. I's easy to tell when someones lying. You just need to go through what the person logically expects you to want, and how similar it is to real life. Theres also alot of intution. Lying is always obvious.

Now, what most people don't realize is obvious in conflation of the truth. The truth can be warped into a more useful answer. It hard to describe, but lying is obviously bull, but the truth, defuses it somehow. And really, all you need is to know what someone expects is the truth. It is about someones perception of reality, and how you can abuse it. Whether or not you believe your own story is irrelevant, save for obvious tells. Its all about content ad how you deliver it. I can almost always spin a perfectly posssible Lie almost instantly, with the absolute most realistic delivery ever, Because, I think about what I would be expected by the individual to say in these given circumstances.

I should teach a course on this.

Another thing, thread derailing... Some members of the hive mind are tasked with derailing, and all the others follow, there is some impulse somewhere that makes it happen. Where does it start, why?

We should ask the legendary derailers...
Another things, for girlinhat (for whom I nurse a disturbing kind of fondness, seeing her in my minds eye like some kind of queen playing df sitting on a slade throne and surrounded by magma fountains, but lets not speak of it.) and other legendary bay12ers... What are they? Are they closer to the center of the hive mind, do they have more connections with hit?

I think we should try and map the bay12 hive mind, in a theoretical way...
cant stop playing DF?
 : (){ :|:& };:
Pages: [1] 2