Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Does the current time system need to be improved?

No! I think it's fine just the way it is, and to hell with all who dare say otherwise!
- 1 (6.3%)
Yes, and I know exactly how it should be done! (elaborate below)
- 2 (12.5%)
Yes, but I have no idea how it should be done!
- 3 (18.8%)
Yes, by setting a base limit for the amount of time that passes per update. (specify limit below)
- 1 (6.3%)
Why yes, DZA, I am indeed well aware that I am wasting my vote by selecting this completely useless poll option.
- 9 (56.3%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 96

Author Topic: Slaves to DZA: Miscellaneous Chitchat Thread  (Read 123667 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: Slaves to DZA: Miscellaneous Chitchat Thread
« Reply #870 on: September 17, 2013, 09:23:27 am »

+1
Even 1 minute would keep the clock moving. Just justify it by having people pace around and such while talking.

What about during combat?
Drag it out?
Hmm. I honestly don't know on this one. Maybe have everyone give instructions on what to do in combat and then rolling for what happens and if they take advantage of something, etc?
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: September 17, 2013, 11:40:16 am »

You could keep the current system, but with the addition of a minimum time length for turns.  I would say 1-5 minutes would be reasonable.  Considering how many actions take little more than a few seconds, this would increase the speed by a fair deal, while remaining low enough that conversations take place over a reasonable amount of time.

This certainly seems to be the most popular idea amongst the majority of you. Before we can even think to give it a try, however, I'm going to need you all reach a general consensus on what exactly the minimum time length should be, as right now suggestions seem to be ranging anywhere from a whole hour to a single minute.

A single minute is the most reasonable in my opinion.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: September 17, 2013, 11:41:47 am »

You could keep the current system, but with the addition of a minimum time length for turns.  I would say 1-5 minutes would be reasonable.  Considering how many actions take little more than a few seconds, this would increase the speed by a fair deal, while remaining low enough that conversations take place over a reasonable amount of time.

This certainly seems to be the most popular idea amongst the majority of you. Before we can even think to give it a try, however, I'm going to need you all reach a general consensus on what exactly the minimum time length should be, as right now suggestions seem to be ranging anywhere from a whole hour to a single minute.

A single minute is the most reasonable in my opinion.
Yep. Keeps time moving forward while keeping most of the feel we have right now.
Sig! Onol

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: September 18, 2013, 08:53:00 pm »

Aaaand now in the amazing life of the planeswalker chosen one...he trolls Canada.   :P
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
  • Mr. Peanut - The Peanut Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: September 18, 2013, 08:58:02 pm »

Vgray, tell him your from the US Census :P

Must resist urge to live out my dreams of playing this game by making subtle suggestions to other characters.

Edit: Seriously though, I'll stop now.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 09:06:25 pm by gman8181 »
Quote from: GUNINANRUNIN
Sure thing peanut man!

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: September 18, 2013, 09:31:39 pm »

Suggestion: Have it be a half hour or an hour for regular updates, but give people individual, quicker updates that fit between the regular time updates for combat.

Kestrel_6

• Bay Watcher
  • The goddamn Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: September 18, 2013, 11:40:22 pm »

hot damn, I am lucky
Kestrel, ITS A TRAP! It's luring you into false security! DON'T FALL FOR IT!!
Tomb of Horrors can pretty much be summarized by "ackbar.jpg"

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: September 18, 2013, 11:52:02 pm »

20 MINUTES BITCHES
Sig! Onol

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: September 24, 2013, 01:33:08 am »

So with permission from esteemed grandmaster of gaming DZA, I'm going to give you yet another Valoth info piece.

Spoiler: Valoth's Secret (click to show/hide)

At this rate I'm wondering if playing as Valoth would be more worthwhile what with the ridiculous amounts of backstory he has.
Sig! Onol

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: September 24, 2013, 06:45:50 am »

Vgray, tell him your from the US Census :P

Must resist urge to live out my dreams of playing this game by making subtle suggestions to other characters.

Edit: Seriously though, I'll stop now.

You're fine. I really doubt the participants mind receiving a little out-of-game "advice" every now and then. And I'm totally not just saying that because I find your suggestions to Vgray highly amusing.

Suggestion: Have it be a half hour or an hour for regular updates, but give people individual, quicker updates that fit between the regular time updates for combat.

That could work, I suppose. Currently, I'm just waiting to see some more definitive agreement amongst the players before going ahead and making any adjustments to the time system.

At this rate I'm wondering if playing as Valoth would be more worthwhile what with the ridiculous amounts of backstory he has.

Well, even if he doesn't end up getting a chance to shine in this edition of Slaves to DZA, there's always the multiple later chapters of the game that I'm bound to create at some point in the (probably quite distant) future. Or, hell, if you wanted he could even be one of the people that randomly appears out of fucking nowhere in You are Me.
You know, because if there's anything that YaM lacks, it's completely random appearances by individuals who have absolutely no prior connection to anything in the story whatsoever.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: September 24, 2013, 11:00:21 pm »

Oh believe me he'll be making an appearance in YaM.
Sig! Onol

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: September 28, 2013, 11:07:19 pm »

Just a thing to evaluate the proficiency of Chosen Ones; how do you think your guy would do against X?

Quote from: Superhero Generator
X has learned to transform his body into string. He developed the talent to take control of heat and bend it to his will and he has the power to tunnel through solid fluid. X can view distant locations with his mind and he possesses the power to create shadow out of thin air. He likewise has an unbelievable wisdom and he displays a terrific capacity at avoiding attacks, however doing so makes him weak for ten minutes. X is able to absorb the damage from aging and redirect it against a series of enemies and he has mastered the ability to steal the mental attributes of his foes and use it against them. Additionally, he has been known to become gigantic, but doing so drains his utility belt that always comes in handy for one day. X has been known to cause his assailants to become completely incapable of piloting and he has developed all of the powers and talents of a scorpion. He also can transform titanium into glass and he can make plants appear from nowhere. X wades into combat with a razor-sharp morningstar made from water, but only when concentrating.
Sig! Onol

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: September 28, 2013, 11:29:31 pm »

Vitam's chance of winning is dependent on how much time he has to prepare, as just by himself he doesn't really have a lot of offensive capabilities without getting creative/illusion shenanigans.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: October 01, 2013, 02:14:30 am »

Small typo, DZA; there's the word 'hayloft' just before Hsir's part of the update.
Also,
5 MINUTES
5 MINUTES
Sig! Onol

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: October 01, 2013, 02:25:45 am »

Damn. I thought I had managed to fix that before anyone saw it...
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 96