Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What fort do you miss most?  (Read 2893 times)

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
What fort do you miss most?
« on: September 08, 2012, 10:47:08 am »

I've had many, many forts in the three years I've played, the one I miss most was a 40d fort called Largebusts.  I had 150 dwarves, 50 elite wrestling dwarves included in that count.  They were fighting off invading elves and goblins, dragons, hydras, you name it.  what killed it was boredom.  I still miss that fort, because it had awesome memories for me, and I learned most of how to play from it.  It was 12 years old, and had 12 artifacts, most of which were craft type stuff, but there were some useful things, like a brass spear.

What fort do you miss most, and why?
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

mustafa2812

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What fort do you miss most?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 11:17:12 am »

I miss my fort PullyShoved.  The name itself was hilarious.  I had a vampire mayor who I ended up locking in a room after I became tired of him killing all my dwarves.  I had a caged bronze colossus that I would let out on the goblins for teh lolz.  I had a waterfall that caused me no end of trouble but still produced endless FUN.  My fort reached my cap of ~200 dwarves and I was doing quite well but a failed attempt at a well flooded most of my fort.  After that it became very unfun.  Even after I got it mostly cleaned up, the fun had drained out of the fort from the times-taking cleaning tasks and it became monotonous.  I decided a fitting end was to unleash the circus.  The clowns slaughtered my dwarves although I managed to kill a few of them.  I even unlocked the room that was holding my vampire and he killed at least 3 of them with his bare hands.  In the end, it had to die and I had to move on but much FUN was had in that fort.     

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 12:28:32 pm »

HammerBlaze. See my sig for the story.
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

Andal

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning! Fourth wall breached!
    • View Profile
An
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 02:11:52 pm »

Labouredcontrolled. Damn. Wish I hadn't been reminded of that fort, I really miss it. Lost it when the computer I had it on died.

Sealed off from the world behind thick walls, legendary dwarves everywhere, and a military that ate sieges like they ate masterwork roasts. An artifact anvil called the Prime Times, sunken, glass-domed surface plant greenhouses, a surface level volcano capped with a glass pyramid, a grand, many-pillared marble temple and more masterwork crafts and artifacts than you could shake a stick at.

The Duke loved coins, and mandated them often, so I ended up making commemorative coins every year, and storing them in sealed vaults (didn't use bins, as I wanted them to be on display).

I had a legendary woodcutter who was paralyzed from the waist down, and yet could keep up with the young, healthy woodcutters. He was one of the founding seven, so I built him an all wood (I'm not one to think finely crafted wood is at all un-dorfy), above ground tomb, sequestered off in its own patch of pristine trees, surrounded with a copper fence. It had a statue standing in the center of the pond next to it of the goddess of mercy and kindness.

It had passed its 50th year when my computer fried itself. Bah. I wish I still had the save, it would be nice to revisit.  :-[
When I was reorganizing my inventory to fit all by books on life and death into various bags and things, I looked at my inventory and saw that I was multigrasping a necromancer slab.  It was pretty hilarious.
I think that would be an excellent way to impart the critical lessons of life and death to the ignorant masses.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 02:38:52 pm »

Desertgates. It was a fortress, in well, the desert. But it had gold EVERYWHERE, so I was making all my furniture and everything from gold. It was glorious.

Then I realized we had only silver to use to make weapons, and I had totally forgotten to train any militia. Gobbos won that day...

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 09:31:54 pm »

WaveHandle was a nice medium-sized starter fort I made some time ago. Back in the days of 40d. It was one of my first attempts at making a fancy dining hall and structured/organized fort. It did surprisingly well, but then I got rather bored with it, and stopped.

Overall, it held up very well, to the point that I was overstocked with food and booze, and most of my fort was partying on all hours. Despite it's rough start, it prospered well.

EDIT:
Bloodfist
Story aside, this fort, besides the megaproject, taught me how to really work a fortress, especially since I also had to learn to deal with losing it numerous times in the process. But besides all that, I did learn a whole lot while I was working with/on the project on how to work around some issues in the game. Especially where mitigating resources while dealing with the wildlife was also concerned. One of my biggest issues was dealing with making sure I had enough trees to collect at a stable rate without trampling them (learned the importance of routing traffic), learned rudimentary defenses (walls) as well as more proper crop-rotation tree-wise (focus an area at a time), as well as food-wise (nowadays, I use numerous small crops, instead of large 10x10 farm plots; Anyone do any ‼science‼ regarding farming efficiency yet?). Just as well, I had to learn to deal with the consequences of working with magma forges, since imps were a regular menace to deal with. Lost a season of tree harvesting one time thanks to them; as well as a handful of dwarves. I also learned the importance of story and gameplay segregation, as to keep good progress on building, while also telling a good story. As you read my plight, you can see where I really learn how to play as I tell it.

I guess you can say, how I really learned the game, and picked up on it (and the whole scaling the learning cliff is illustrated) is told as I build the ship the entire time. You can even see where I gave up and went on hiatus for a few months out of frustration with the goblins and wildlife.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 12:50:35 pm by Itnetlolor »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2012, 09:34:16 pm »

Lovearmors. It was just so... Fun...
I loved the architecture I had come up with. I loved it's location. I loved the waterfall and all the vicious, dwarf-eating carp that permeatted the waters around the fortress. And ate my dwarves.

It was also one of my longest-lived.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Ki11aGhost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2012, 09:35:11 pm »

First fort and biggest fail I ever made.

Basically I spent the whole first year making gigantic rooms for workshops, making a few bedrooms, and then accidentally abandoning it.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2012, 10:08:32 pm »

Ahh, my second fort. Name forgotten. I lost the save, which really sucks cause it was the first time I made a fort That didn't explode right off (reclaimed the first one a bunch of times to help learn, finally abandoned when a combined gobbo siege and Flying dust shooting FB Made it unclaimable.)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 10:44:05 pm by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

A Random Passerby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2012, 10:40:23 pm »

Viselashes, my first fort that lasted more than a year, back in the days of 40d. Wasn't a very remarkable fort, compared to some of my newer ones, but 90% of my learning came from this fort. I built it to be impenetrable in a siege, with ballista batteries, three layers of drawbridges, marksdwarf ramparts, you name it. Only problem was that the moat tended to freeze, but I had a nice, thick wall to counteract that problem. Lost the fort when I switched computers, still searching for the save I saved on a flash drive somewhere.
Man, you can't go wrong with a *cow meat roast*

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2012, 11:54:53 pm »

Whiteletter. It was a DF2010 fortress where I knew most every dwarf, and had written out some of their misadventures. Alas, like just about every fortress ever, it fell to FPS death, especially when I tried making an artificial magma river underneath the actual river to keep it thawed in winter. Note: it doesn't work.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2012, 12:28:00 am »

Shockedtowns, a human settlement I played not too long ago... Lost to save corruption, and the most fun I had for a good while. The reasons include:

Champion walked around with an arrow in her shoulder four 3-4 years.
Could stomp most asses with three halberdiers.
A 13 year old girl killed a forgotten beast with a maul.
Goblin ghosts.
Accidently captured an FB with a cave in. Its cage was the most popular place for parties.
75% of the population was made up of full time soldiers.
I Mastered the unludacris amounts of layers military with it (you don't need 7 cloaks and four cloth/leather shirts. One layer of uniform with metal armor does the job fine and is less resource intensive.)
Learned to mod entities properly.
Learned to love the halberd.
Learned that soldiers with multigrasp weapons fight better without shields (figured that out when my halberdiers were never allowed the first hit. took off the shields and it switiched with regular first it fatalities for goblin assault troops who had the misfortune of fighting them.)
For shits and giggles forced a goblin thief to give birth twice and raised the kids as little green humans.
Domesticated naked mole dogs as humans. first time I ever domesticated anything in 34.10/11.

aoxoa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2012, 08:43:09 am »

I miss a recent embark. First migrant wave I forget, but 4 of them good legendaries (or 11+ in certain good skills).

Second migrant wave had a 11+ weaponsmith, and it was either blacksmith or metal crafter (Same guy), and the other 11+ armorsmith and whatever the above guy lacked. Plus almost every migrant I had in first 3 waves had 11+ in at least a skill, including useless ones lol.

But got to 143 dwarves, but so far not a single ambush, siege, and all I had was boring copper/silver. No iron, plenty of flux etc. But was the MOST boring time ever. 30 dwarves in the army, sure they wernt the best, but 2 marks groups and 1 melee group, all hammers since well Silver warhammers why not lol.

But yeah I deleted all the saves because I wanted to start fresh. But yeah, it had been about 5+ years, and total boringness. I wanted to try new things, such as that embark anywhere thing etc.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2012, 10:52:25 am »

Desertgates. It was a fortress, in well, the desert. But it had gold EVERYWHERE, so I was making all my furniture and everything from gold. It was glorious.

Then I realized we had only silver to use to make weapons, and I had totally forgotten to train any militia. Gobbos won that day...

That's where I am with Firegears.  Gold, silver, and copper everywhere.  Copper armor and weapons do not save the day.  Only reason it didn't go down was the dwarven traders happened to come at the same time the siege came.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2012, 12:06:34 pm »

That's where I am with Firegears.  Gold, silver, and copper everywhere.  Copper armor and weapons do not save the day.  Only reason it didn't go down was the dwarven traders happened to come at the same time the siege came.
I am suddenly inspired to mod in a reaction to smelt copper, silver, and gold into an indestructible metallic alloy. Maybe called Gebstadtium.
Pages: [1] 2