Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: What fort do you miss most?  (Read 2892 times)

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
Re: What fort do you miss most?
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2012, 12:22:35 pm »

That's where I am with Firegears.  Gold, silver, and copper everywhere.  Copper armor and weapons do not save the day.  Only reason it didn't go down was the dwarven traders happened to come at the same time the siege came.
I am suddenly inspired to mod in a reaction to smelt copper, silver, and gold into an indestructible metallic alloy. Maybe called Gebstadtium.

If you do let me know :D
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2012, 12:26:08 pm »

I had a fort on a volcano like that once... All gold and silver. So I modded gold and silver to be weapon and armor grade metals my army ran off bling of war. It was... Well It went better than expected actually. Evidently getting smashed in the face a solid gold mace is rather disconcerting for a goblin, and gold plating holds up suprisingly well to an iron sword.

Also platinum war hammers.

Holy Mittens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2012, 10:44:58 pm »

Trustclaps, the home of Cacame Awemedinade, the elven king of dwarves.

Tragically lost to a hard drive crash.

parlor_tricks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://noyb
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2012, 01:42:12 am »

Trustclaps, the home of Cacame Awemedinade, the elven king of dwarves.

Tragically lost to a hard drive crash.

wait - there isn't another save of cacame floating around on the web O_O??

That would kinda be a historical artifact lost for the forums.

Holy Mittens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2012, 02:36:02 am »

I don't believe I ever uploaded a save of the game with him in it. The fort had gotten beyond boring, though, so it's best that it was sent to Valhalla.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2012, 03:28:49 am »

The one that had a massive, beautiful jet and olivine bridge/aqueduct built across a large non-volcanic crater.

Too bad about the lack of farms there.  :-[
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2012, 04:26:20 am »

My longtime fortress (forgot the name). A volcano embark with coal and a lovely steep cliffside with flat plains and a river next to it. I built my favorite magmacannon on that cliff. (lovely 5 pump structure taking magma from a large tank and pumping it on a large cannal infront of my gate)

Clown infested lower mines, drowning chambers, obsidian casting trade depots (they were initially just magma depots but the elven junk burned too long so I added water), militia commander named Catten with 34 pet cats and a wife with title "the ultimate depression of angels"...
A fire-breathing FB that burnt every drop of fat of its body after the first fire attack. It soon started slaughtering cave inhabitants (don't remember which ones. Cave fish men I think) You would think that fire breathers would be fireproof..

Interesting partial floodings. I had two canals running through my fortress from the surface to the depths. One for magma and one for water. I made a tiny mistake and built the magma safe floodgates in the wrong one. Flooded 5 floors with magma and later nearly 10 with water when trying to get rid of the magma. (Including the bedrooms. The  sleeping dwarves didn't even notice. Except for those whose doors were open at the time..)
By the end of the fort nearly everyone had stopped caring about anything anymore.
Oh, and were-wombats and koalas!

Man, I loved that fortress.
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist
Pages: 1 [2]