Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: What is the most challenging yet doable embark?  (Read 5105 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: What is the most challenging yet doable embark?
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2012, 06:18:44 pm »

Or clay. I'd let myself dig a tiny hole--one tile into a wall or something-and collect some clay from there.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2012, 06:25:51 pm »

here we go:

1. No drawbridges
2. No danger rooms
3. No locked doors
4. No df reveal
5. No traps

Shortly speaking : play like dwarf, not elf. No cheating and walling off, face enemies in combat. Marksdorfs allowed as long as gobos can path to them
That's... Kinda easy for anyone who plays vanilla :P

Until
a) they come with 20 cave dragons
b) titans and bronze colossi (on ironless embarks) appear
c) you apply the same rules to the caverns  :P
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2012, 06:40:12 pm »

here we go:

1. No drawbridges
2. No danger rooms
3. No locked doors
4. No df reveal
5. No traps

Shortly speaking : play like dwarf, not elf. No cheating and walling off, face enemies in combat. Marksdorfs allowed as long as gobos can path to them
That's... Kinda easy for anyone who plays vanilla :P

Until
Overwhelming force!
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

omg_scout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2012, 06:42:30 pm »

For big guys I always try wresters squad + few dudes with bought steel axes. (I am not lucky with steel embark lately).

Anyway, this challenge it is fixed by 40 marksdorfs camping at a maze, but I start to feel like a maze is using advantage of retarded AI who cannot jump over a single tile channel.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2012, 06:45:29 pm »

Or clumsy goblins who are unable to.
Sig

omg_scout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2012, 06:52:59 pm »

Especially while running away with *silver bolt* stuck in their back. Now I know why my weaponsmith is always unhappy.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2012, 04:35:28 am »

Until
a+b) Titans and Cave dragons fight
c) Ditto
d) You can always try full Fortress conscription
e) Candeh
f) Dorfy weapons of sheer dorfitude

jellsprout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2012, 05:12:23 am »

There was a post of an embark of aquifers in an evil biome, the problem being there were LOADS of aquifers and you didn't have time for a double slit method.
No more is really needed to be said.

The beauty of the double slit method is that there is barely any difference between 1 aquifer layer or 100. You can have water from the higher layers drain into the lower layers. This drains far faster than pumps, so you can construct almost all the walls without any submerged suspensions.
And zombies will only path to dwarves they can see. If you immediately dig into the soil and move everything underground, the zombies probably won't bother you until the first migrants arrive.
Embarks like these require quick action and a bit of luck, but are generally doable. The biggest problem will be corpse disposal. Thanks to the aquifer it will be tricky to make a magma chute.
"Having been equipped with tracking collars so their migration and survival in the wild can be measured, the young Sea Serpent is released into the wild.  It is hoped that this captive breeding program will boost their terribly low population numbers and eventually see them removed from the endangered species list..."

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2012, 06:23:39 am »

Just make a deep pit.
Sig
Pages: 1 [2]